Interesting vehicles used by the British late war

Niels v

I have been looking through a Danish online archive for pictures of the liberation, and found a couple of interesting vehicles in British service.

I did not know that the British had used the m3 75 GMC, and had thought that was obsolete by 45.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The armoured car regiment attached to 7th armoured div (desert rats) used M3 75s in their heavy troop instead of AEC mk3s, they typically grouped them together and used them as an artillery battery, i think they were eventually replaced by AECs, but were used untill their guns were shot out. i think this was a carryover from Italy. Theres plenty of stuff about this subject in the various 7th armoured accounts in print.

Humber AA is interesting! I always presumed that stuff never made it past prototype stage.

The vehicle is a Humber MkI AA A/C which is very similar to the Guy A/C. The Guy was shorter than Humber at 13ft 6ins compared to 14ft 10ins and the rear wheel arches are sloped on the Guy whereas horizontal on the Humber.

The only special variant of the Guy produced was a wheeled infantry carrier.

We don't know how many Humber MkI AA A/Cs were produced as it looks like the contract was curtailed with bombing of the Stothert & Pitt factory in Bath in April 1942. Sothert & Pitt were contracted to produce the turrets.

Niels, it is likely that your photographs show vehicles? belonging to the 1st Kings Dragoon Guards during the liberation of Denmark, May 1945.

Les.