Larkspur Harness Pin-out?

andym

Does anyone have, or can point me to, a pin-out for the 12-pin connectors used between Larkspur harness boxes? I need to run some Clansman signals up a Larkspur cable and could do with knowing what pin does what. A Google search has proved fruitless.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Andy

I think your best chance may be to get the schematics for one of the Larkspur J-Boxes and work it out.

There were two versions of the harness A and B - if you have a JD9 box in an AFV then it is an A-Harness.

There is a good article on B harness at http://www.remlr.com/wireless/b_veh_1960/3.html but it doesn't include pinouts

The WS 19 group archive at http://www.megacycles.co.uk/lark.html has EMERs L772 part 1 (A Harness technical description) and L782 part 1 (B Harness technical description) which are likely what you really need. Hopefully Mr. Suslowitz will notice this topic and be able to advise further.

Iain

Thanks Iain - I guessed you'd be one to respond! I'd forgotten about the WS19 group even though I joined them some time ago so I've asked for L782 which I think is what I need.

I suppose I could argue that I don't really need to know the original pinout as I'm just using the cable cores but it would be useful to at least identify the power ones. A small batch of Abbots were completely converted to Clansman late in life as opposed to the more common arrangement of Larkspur harness with a Clansman PRC352. Those Abbots were also BATES equipped and can be easily distinguished by the presence of the barrel MVMD radar. From examination of one I've studied they reused the existing Larkspur harness cables and I'm attempting the same exercise. Unfortunately the relevant EMER is completely elusive.

Andy

On investigation (and for the benefit of posterity) although the Abbot "D" Box has a twelve pin connector, it is fed by a six-core cable and only four of those cores are actually connected. Looking at the Clansman harness pinout I think I can get a CB2 working on intercom only with six cores (Pins C, D, E, M, P & S) so I've changed the connector for a normal Clansman harness plug. Not the easiest thing to do in a very confined space with little slack on the cable!

Andy

Andy

For what it's worth EMER L802 part 1 (Clansman harness technical description) includes the Larkspur Radio Adapter box (and implicitly the harness connector on the J1 box). The partial pinout given for both the radio harness connector and the J1 connector is:

PIN A: MIC +

PIN B: MIC -

PIN C: IC MIC

PIN D: PTT

PIN E: REBRO command from Larkspur radio to harnesss

PIN G: PHONE -

PIN J: IC PHONE

PIN K: VCR - to Larkspur radio voltage control relay

PIN M: Phone +

Hope this helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 5 years later...

Andy

Do you happen to remember which 4 pins were connected on the Larkspur 6 pin connector going to the D Box - I have been asked to help get intercom working on a Chieftain which although 100% Clansman in the turret has lost its Drivers box and whatever was connected to the 6 pin Larkspur socket hanging beside where it was - I was shown a short cable with a 6 pin plug one end and a Clansman harness plug the other, but it was rather mangled and when tried with a driver's box and a headset that worked in the turret nothing was heard. So I expect I need to fix the adapter cable and knowing what's supposed to be there would be a good start ..

Regards

Iain

Thanks Andy.

Is that the 12 pin end as it seems to have 4 connections and at least 4 more solder buckets ? Do you have the other (6 pin Larkspur) end as well as I need to make a replacement cable ?

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs

That makes sense - I carefully worked out how to get the Clansman harness working over the existing six core cable to the driver's box.  Looking at an incomplete Abbot that had been officially converted to Clansman it seems they had done the same thing, keeping the existing cables and six-way junction box in the turret.

Andy

Andy

Looks like we have a problem with the cable from Drivers Box Selector to Drivers position through the rotating joint being open circuit for the mic return pin (Clansman 12 way connector pin E)  which should be connected on the driver's box. I do know enough to build the replacement cable having salvaged the mangled 6 pin to 12 pin cable (the 6 pin end being intact) and will write up what I found during the week.

Do you remember if your installation included the ground (seems to be Larkspur Pin A) or used chassis return as implied by the diagram above not showing a ground via pin P of the 12-way plug (which is wired on both the DB and the DBS) 

Regards

Iain