Dodge wc53 restoration

HWade

Although to an untrained eye the WC53 may look rather rough, its actually in pretty good order, the body is very straight and shows little signs of rot. There is a steel panel welded on the roof instead of its canvas panel. Well a friend of mine and my self went to view the truck at the beginning of year, and after some thinking went ahead with the purchase. After getting it back to my workshop the strip down began. all of the front tin work was removed and also the steel panel in the roof revealing the original channel for the canvas panel.

20160215_114500.jpg

20160215_114453.jpg

20160206_145906.jpg

The state of play with the restoration so far. The body is now off the truck and on a rolling frame. The chassis has been totally stripped of everything and it has been blasted primed and top coated in olive drab. The axles were stripped both diffs checked for ware. Axles and springs blasted and painted. Kings pins cleaned new grease nipples. The chassis has been reassembled. The gear box checked for ware cleaned new seals, and also the same for the transfer box. both of these painted. Although the engine was good, it was not correct for the truck so this I changed for another engine. which was checked cleaned and fitted to the chassis with the gear box. The rear prop was bent so this was re tubed and balanced. The braking system was totally renewed from master cylinder, brake lines with correct spring guard and wheel cylinders and shoes. The fuel system also cleaned and checked, new fuel tank straps made and new fuel lines with again spring guard. The radiator was also cleaned checked and painted and fitted to freshly cleaned and painted cowling. The engine has also had new oil pipes fitted and new water pipes. all parts cleaned and painted in satin black. The chassis now waiting for the body.

20160216_122526.jpg

20160216_133641.jpg

20160208_140431.jpg

Here are a few more pics of the rolling chassis to date. All the wheels have been painted and have new tyres. Just waiting to get the body shell blasted and primed and carry out any more repairs before getting it onto the chassis.

DSC01393.JPG

DSC01391.JPG

DSC01265 (1).JPG

DSC01268.JPG

here are a few more pics of the rolling chassis to date. All the wheels have been painted and have new tyres. Just waiting to get the body shell blasted and primed and carry out any more repairs before getting it onto the chassis.

great job :-):-)

Thanks for that Jim. Well it was a bright sunny morning, so I took advantage of the dry spell. I managed to get the WC53 shell blasted and primed. Came across a couple of markings. Overall the body came up very well with little damage. A few pics as always.

DSC01485.JPG

DSC01486.JPG

DSC01487.JPG

DSC01495.JPG

DSC01492.JPG

Edited by HWade

Well since the last mention, the front seat riser has been repaired and welded into place all front and centre panels were bolted in so it all married up ok. Some repair work to a rear quarter. Also got the vent lever fitted in. Also one of the missing rear floor straps have been welded back in. I have also measured up and ordered the ash floor boards. Hoping to get the body on the chassis soon.

DSC01505.JPG

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01506.JPG

Seventh Service Command, then, Omaha, Nebraska. Both my WC36 Carryalls were Eighth Service Command.

Before you do anything much with the rear of the body, check the aperture for squareness - needs to be within about 1/4" on both diagonals if the lift gate and tailgate are ever going to close correctly.

I still have articles about Carryall winders, tailgates, and roof panels up somewhere;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carryal2.htm

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carryal3.htm

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carryal4.htm

Edited by Gordon_M
Adding links

Well done a bit more to the WC53, the missing floor cross member has been welded in. I have also removed all broken bolts from various holes in the cross members and other areas. I have also primed all the front section floor panels and centre panel. I am hoping to get the fire wall in olive drab and the underside of the body, so I can then get it mounted on the chassis and then get the wooden floor cut and fitted in. I also got the front drivers seat blastered and primed and also the jump seat. Thats it for now.

DSC01513.JPG

Well the underside of the body and the inside and outside of the firewall have been top coated in olive drab. Today the body was lowered back onto the chassis. All being well the wood for the floor should turn up early next week so I can get that cut to size, then get it primed and painted before fitting.

DSC01530.JPG

Well we had a good trip to Belgian yesterday and managed to get hold of a few parts that we required. A nice new old stock glove box, door striker, and various other parts. We have also had a good day today and got the Ash floor cut to size, this has now been removed ready for priming and top coating the underside. Top side will be done once the floor is bolted down and the floor keys have been fitted.

DSC01547.JPG

DSC01550.JPG

Well I got the new hinge required for the battery box and this has been drilled and fitted for size, all seems ok with that. The wooded floor was finished yesturday and was primed early this morning and has now been top coated.

Well the wooden floor has now been fitted to the vehicle and some of the mounting holes have been drilled and the floor bolted down. My Joiner should be coming this morning to machine out for the floor plates that the seats bolt down to.Once these are done. we can crack on with fitting the new internal window boxes.Howard

Hello Degsy, nothing wrong with a few Tulips, Ha ha. Well the Joiner had a good day on the floor. All the floor key positions have been machined out with a router, and the fixing holes drilled out. The two runs for the rubbing strips have also been routered out.

20160511_163925.jpg

20160511_163904.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well work has progressed on the carryall. The hardwood floor has now been primed with aluminium wood primer. The replacement window boxes have been fitted, and primed. The dash board has been painted and I have started to fit out the dash. Just waiting for choke and throttle cables. I have also prefitted the doors and they are shutting nice so these have been lightly blasted and repaired and primed, I have also rehung them to check fitting.

DSC01591.JPG

DSC01590.JPG

Well I have achieved a bit more on the carryall, the roof panel has been made and painted, ive glued on the strips to support the panel and also welded on some new tabs to the roof section for bending down to hold down the panel. Ive also painted the interior and have also fitted the floor keys. Next job will be paint the outside, I can then think about fitting the rear window runners and getting the windows installed. I do still have the sheet panels that hold the window gears to paint up in drab.

DSC01636.JPG

DSC01635.JPG

Well I have managed to get the canvas roof panel fitted and the rubber for holding it in place it went in very well. I have also painted the outside of the truck. All of the rear lights are wired in. Hope to get the bonnet painted over the weekend and get the front wiring in for the lights.

DSC01651.JPG

It's looking very straight and clean Howard, not many WC53 do. I sent you some images of the rear window winder mechanisms, so if you are still short one let me know. I think I'm out of most of the Carryall-specific stuff now, though I did discover a pair of NOS front door winders too.

It's looking very straight and clean Howard, not many WC53 do. I sent you some images of the rear window winder mechanisms, so if you are still short one let me know. I think I'm out of most of the Carryall-specific stuff now, though I did discover a pair of NOS front door winders too.

Hello Gordon are check my emails later. Yes she is a straight truck. I've also fitted the canvast panel in the roof. Thanks Howard