someone out there knows all about thiis Part 2

An M6 is/was an Allis Chalmers High Speed Tractor all up weight 76,000lbs or 38 short tons so no shortage of weight for crushing things. They never had a turret just a large crew cab to seat 10 people and were powered by 2x6cyl Waukesha petrol engines each developing 190hp so having to fill with fuel 3 times a day is quite believable.

You have to count Part 1 , this means 6 days this has been running. Benefit of doubt , then consider as "Primary Source" however there is only hearsay , no primary evidence - despite people asking for auction details of plate lots sale - zilch .

andy brown is capable of doing a Google search on military M6 or better still for images , he should never be tech. info. short as he presented. If andy brown considers the response by Degsy in any way substantiates these claims - clearly it does not. IMHO it is time for a moderator to shut this thread down because it comes across as a discomfiture to read it , if andy brown is ever able to return with Part 3 with the slightest form of actuality , then fine by me.

I expect incoming - like you don't have to read it , yes that is correct..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I was in no way trying to substantiate Andy's story merely commenting on the vehicle. I am afraid I take a very cynical view on these matters having been listening to stories like this since the late 1940's and the only thing I remember turning up was scrap.

I am sure that I speak for many and enjoy reading such threads , sometimes the unknown of fact or fictional time twisted memories make it all the more interesting, Andy made the comment that he wanted to share his memories whilst he still could, and I can see is testing the water with the reactions posted so far , I am sure there is more to come , let the man have his say, why on earth would there be a need to pull the thread.

I am sure that I speak for many and enjoy reading such threads , sometimes the unknown of fact or fictional time twisted memories make it all the more interesting, Andy made the comment that he wanted to share his memories whilst he still could, and I can see is testing the water with the reactions posted so far , I am sure there is more to come , let the man have his say, why on earth would there be a need to pull the thread.

I agree John it's a bit like reading the News of the World while waiting in the Barbers I suppose :-).

There are two ways of looking at this thread either it is a mild wind up..... a bit wierd but Iv'e seen it happen on other forums.. or Andy Brown is a real person with real memories who needs help from us to sort out what actually happened ( I still find it very hard to reconcile 326 whole tanks) but am prepared to accept that some form of scrap was buried.

So Andy which is it ? if it's a wind up you have badly misjudged your audience as there are people on this forum who are recognized world authorities in their respective fields and have spent a life time collecting, researching and restoring MV's so they know their stuff. We have all heard these reports and some have actually gone looking for the buried treasure around the world only very rarely is anything found and if it is it invariably is not what was reported to be in the hole.

So Andy lets try to unravel this mystery for you by going back to the beginning and putting aside the unhelpful politics and other asides and adopt a professional approach to the research so that we can either supply answers or put you in touch with organisations or Government departments who may be able to supply you with information.

So to start the process first off you need to supply answers where possible on the following:

what REME unit was your Father in during 1944/45

Are you in possesion of the war diary for the unit

What was his substantive rank

What was his acting rank

What was his Army number

When was he demobbed

In what capacity did he work post war for the REME with dates

What year was the burying of items undertaken

In what capacity did he carry out the work

What Government departments have you contacted already

How you think the plates that you found in the scrap yard relate to your Fathers activities.

The answers to the questions above will give you and us if you choose to share them a good start along the road to unraveling the story.

This is meant to be helpful and not challenging............ I trust you accept it as such.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

i want andy to continue this thread until it's conclusion, either the tanks are there or they're not and tanks are fairly substantial lumps so should be easy to verify. let's see what comes of it.

as an aside i was talking to another forum member about this thread and we got onto the subject of buried tanks and have resurrected an old rumour of a cromwell buried nose first in an old clay pit in rickmansworth. so it looks like andy has helped find 1 tank, 325 to go :)

• 2 years later...

Well done Dave !

At last a bit of real evidence which must have taken some time to find considering how many lots Sotheby's sell.

Note that "Tank Infantry MkIV" is what became known quite early on as the Churchill tank, which went from MkI to MkXI as gun tanks plus many derivatives. It seems that the sale lot 148 above contained a total of twenty Churchill plates of various marks.

Is there a suggestion that this is evidence of lots of US sourced tanks being buried though ?

David

• 1 year later...

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject.it has been very enlightening to see so .much interest in what I would admit one could consider to  be a very dubious claim .it was this aspect that delayed my decision to give it an airing after all these years ,there isn't a well trodden path to follow when you decìde to make that leap Into the unknown , being ridiculed I accepted would be the price I would have to pay I do not hold that against anyone but I would ask what would you do if what had came at ýou when you were ten years old and you had sat on  for over sixty years ?.just as an example of is it really worth it I spent hours in the national archives until I came across a hint of information that obliquely referred to my subject ,I asked to get access to said documents and was referred to a manager who informed me that this could only be read under ministerial supervision so I would have to file an application , in doing so I was told it could take up to two years to get permission or longer ..so much for freedom of information.on a latér visit out of the blue I was called to the desk and told I could  now  view the elusive files ,strange I thought why the change of heart ? I new that what I was eager to get my hands on was somewhere in 12 volumes ..i was handed one hard back ring folder within which were 12 cardboard dividers each divider had a new label with the same legend ...This file has been weeded coñsidered not to be in the public interest..! 

Much later I happened across a MP at the top of the pile who gave me a thinly disguised warning along the lines that i should take up a different hobby..you kind of get the fèling you are not loved ...some might have difficulty swallowing what I had bought to your table that I accept but none of you threatened me...it's obvious that I was looking under stones that someone didn't want disturbed but at least in the end it pointed a finger at someone who did know about this....

Thanks for your support and input

Andy....