Wireing a civy radio

Surveyor

Having stripped out bits and found the FFR land rover still has the original wires from the wing Ariel to the cab including the fittings. I am purchasing the mountings and ariel to make the external appearance as a radio Land Rover.

Has any one wired these arials to a civilian radio so I can listen to local radio stations when traveling?

What are the pit falls, and has any one have good advice

Having stripped out bits and found the FFR land rover still has the original wires from the wing Ariel to the cab including the fittings. I am purchasing the mountings and ariel to make the external appearance as a radio Land Rover.

Has any one wired these arials to a civilian radio so I can listen to local radio stations when traveling?

What are the pit falls, and has any one have good advice

Good advice bit: enlist the help of a local radio amateur unless you are happy dealing with the co-ax connectors.

I suspect but do not know for certain that a modern FM radio will be happy with more or less any bit of wire. An old AM radio will need a properly matched aerial. A DAB radio I'm afraid I've no idea.

Your wing box contains an aerial tuner but for frequencies a long way off broadcast FM so is best bypassed by a short lead with the relevant co-ax connectors on it. At the radio end you will need the connector changed or an adapter made up. An radio amateur worthy of the name can do this easily for you.

At the end of the day just try it, you won't hurt the radio.

Gordon

Headset connector pin-out:

clansman-headset-socket.jpg

Probably best to connect speaker output to pins D and G, ground to E.

The sockets to fit a standard Clansman headphone plug do turn up on e-Bay. Or you could salvage them from an audio box e.g. item 111956680559

You won't need the Pressil box if not using the microphone.

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
Add ebay item suggestion

This supplier is in Wakefield, he has worked wonders for me, incorporating civvy bits into old casings etc.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/clansmanspares?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

He will be able to supply and generally help !

He deals in civvy and old school, however his mainstay is clansman.

Message him and let him know your needs.

Headset connector pin-out:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]114170[/ATTACH]

Probably best to connect speaker output to pins D and G, ground to E.

The sockets to fit a standard Clansman headphone plug do turn up on e-Bay. Or you could salvage them from an audio box e.g. item 111956680559

You won't need the Pressil box if not using the microphone.

Iain

I am trying to figure how to have an MP3 player running on "B Set" whilst the 353 is listening for traffic on "A set"

I think thats what i'm trying to explain ?

If you want to plumb in the civilian radio so that it appears as an A or B set you'll have to connect it to the IB2 or IB3, whichever you have fitted. If it's just receiving (or an MP3 player) that's not too difficult but if it needs to transmit it gets a lot more complicated - there's an explanation here: http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsletter_articles/clansman_interface.pdf

One of my "projects in waiting" is a Bluetooth to Clansman adaptor for MP3 players or 'phones etc. I've got all the bits, just need to find the time!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...