Somebody out there knows all about this !!

Have I got this right?

The tanks buried are US lend least done so to avoid payment after the war?

Peter.

Sorry to chip in late, but I thought much Lend Lease equipment was dumped at sea, somewhere off Scotland, north end if the Irish Sea, rather than returned to the US (though a lot was used to re-arm friendly countries in mainland Europe). Also included in the dump was unused mustard gas. It's a known location as occasionally lighter tems get washed ashore, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4032629.stm

The whole tale sounds a bit like the persistent rumours that the Soviets reconditioned ex-German equipment and stored Tigers, Panthers, etc. East of the Urals in case the Western Allied decided to invade.

Call me cynical, but if the Germans had so much serviceable equipment at their disposal, one wonders how they lost!:undecided:

Surely any Government papers on the matter would have been released under the 30 or even 50 year rules by now?

jh

Number two military port at CAIRNRYAN on the west coast of Scotland was one of the largest ports for the disposal of german equipment at the end of ww2 my father was involved and he talked about the weapons and mustard gas that was dumped in the sea north of Ireland as well as the u boats that were also sunk but never to my knowledge of any armour

I think the answer to this may lay in the wording of the lend lease act some were it states returned or destoryed

• 3 years later...

The area that Wally Dugan is referring to is the "Beaufort Dyke" which is a trench which runs along the bottom of the Irish Sea roughly around the entrance to Belfast Lough. The Dyke is 50km long and 3.5km wide. The gases which were recovered from the Germans were initially stored at Caernarfon before  it was discovered that they were perishing and these were subsequently moved by sea for dumping into the Dyke. Surplus vehicles and all sorts have been dumped there since. Even today the area is quite dangerous with random explosions coming from the sea bottom as decaying munitions explode. Since 1995 incendiary devices have been found on the coast of west Scotland believed to have been disturbed by pipe-laying.  https://www2.gov.scot/uploads/documents/ae08beauforts.fh10.pdf

Edited by billh35

8 hours ago, billh35 said:

The area that Wally Dugan is referring to is the "Beaufort Dyke" which is a trench which runs along the bottom of the Irish Sea roughly around the entrance to Belfast Lough. The Dyke is 50km long and 3.5km wide. The gases which were recovered from the Germans were initially stored at Caernarfon before they it was discovered they were perishing and these were subsequently moved by sea for dumping into the Dyke. Surplus vehicles and all sorts have been dumped there since. Even today the area is quite dangerous with random explosions coming from the sea bottom as decaying munitions explode. Since 1995 incendiary devices have been found on the coast of west Scotland believed to have been disturbed by pipe-laying.  https://www2.gov.scot/uploads/documents/ae08beauforts.fh10.pdf

There was a presentation at the Marine science conference held at the start of October  at the University of Strathclyde on the disposal sites utilised for ordnance post 1945. (The renewables industry are having to do a lot of clearance activities in the NSea for putting in the windfarm arrays).

The subject of German nerve agents came up. The UK took the German Tabun stockpile (the US got the Sarin and this went back to the states) and it was disposed of having been stored in NWales - in Snowdonia in a former ROF store in one of the slate mines (clearance of the NWales storage sites is covered in the Arthur Hogben bomb disposal book)

The Beauforts Dyke area was one of the key areas for disposal and there was an interconnector power cable laid in that area about 10 years or so ago.

Supposedly the overboard dumping of material and the various ships loaded and then deliberately sunk were supposed to be beyond the 300 fathom contour - Beauforts Dyke was just the first bit of deep water outside of Cairnryan.

There was no mention of vehicles being disposed of. Just large quantities of rotting ordnance.

More recently when the MOD took the first generation of Accuracy international sniper rifles out of service these were cut up and dumped at sea.

58 minutes ago, Tarland said:

The Beauforts Dyke area was one of the key areas for disposal and there was an interconnector power cable laid in that area about 10 years or so ago.

I was involved in the route survey for that cable. It passed north of Beauforts Dyke but we came across plenty of  crates of objects shaped just like shells, beer barrel like objects that looked like depth charges and lots of other dodgy stuff. We were not allowed the say they were shells or what ever as we were "not qualified" even though one of our number used to be a clearance diver.

The initial plan was to use BA and waterproofs as we hosed the ROV before bringing it onboard after a dive. In case it had been contaminated with any nasty chemicals.  We refused as we were not trained, equipped or qualified to deal with chemical agent contamination. (Most of us were ex military). So we did nothing, just the sniff test. You could not make it up.

We were told that local fishing boats were used for much of the disposal and were paid by the load. That resulted in some loads being ditched early and as we seen much of the stuff is spread over quite an area.

Iain

I think the fact is that no one is 100% sure what is in the Dyke as all sorts of stuff has been dumped there over the years. This article from the Irish Times (which is primarily concerned with nuclear waste) https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/beaufort-dyke-reveals-its-deadly-secrets-1.86927  shows how "economic with the truth" the government has been. 

Leaking dumped chemical weapons, is a problem in several regions. An awful lot of stuff was dumped at sea, after WW1. Mustard gas is leaking from dumped munitions near Knokke, Belgium. The Baltic has several leaking dumps, from German WW2 chemical munitions.

"Operation Sandcastle" was one disposal operation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sandcastle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone ,another couple of years has crept by since I was last here, being nieve I had worked on the assumption that if you asked a straight question you could expect a straight answer ..but not if you unwittingly hand the keys to the chicken run to the fox especially if he has m.p.as part of his title ..my objective was to prove that the information that I had carried for some seventy years along with additional supporting later evidence would eventually prove me right . unfortunately I didn't take into consideration early enough as to how deeply entrenched the fox was in being able to block any question or request that I might put to the authorities concerning my quest ,he having a position such that my questions and requests would go no further than the bin next to his desk .

So learning the art of cunning from the fox gave me an advantage ,as they say there's no taste in nothing and that goes for a fox but more so as the may be hungry but blinded by greed the will kill all of the hens in a pen .lesson learnt I looked round for a big old badger to put in the pen one not so easily swayed by the corruption  of the fox he came in the form of Ben Wallis ,suffice to say progress has been slow but it's getting there although I have not had it from the badgers mouth so to speak but evidence has bought me to believe that the fox no longer rules the roost . All that said, money lots and lots of money an unbelievable amount is tied up between a great many foxes ,who are not leaving without there bag of chickens .thanks for being so patient will keep you posted Andy

Hi everyone ,another couple of years has crept by since I was last here, being nieve I had worked on the assumption that if you asked a straight question you could expect a straight answer ..but not if you unwittingly hand the keys to the chicken run to the fox especially if he has m.p.as part of his title ..my objective was to prove that the information that I had carried for some seventy years along with additional supporting later evidence would eventually prove me right . unfortunately I didn't take into consideration early enough as to how deeply entrenched the fox was in being able to block any question or request that I might put to the authorities concerning my quest ,he having a position such that my questions and requests would go no further than the bin next to his desk .

So learning the art of cunning from the fox gave me an advantage ,as they say there's no taste in nothing and that goes for a fox but more so as the may be hungry but blinded by greed the will kill all of the hens in a pen .lesson learnt I looked round for a big old badger to put in the pen one not so easily swayed by the corruption  of the fox he came in the form of Ben Wallis ,suffice to say progress has been slow but it's getting there although I have not had it from the badgers mouth so to speak but evidence has bought me to believe that the fox no longer rules the roost . All that said, money lots and lots of money an unbelievable amount is tied up between a great many foxes ,who are not leaving without there bag of chickens .thanks for being so patient will keep you posted Andy

23 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

l am l missing some thing fox badger chickens is this some thing to do with BEATRIX POTTER🤩

As one cannot bring politics to the table I thought a simple analogy would do ..sorry if you missed the point

11 hours ago, andy brown said:

As one cannot bring politics to the table I thought a simple analogy would do ..sorry if you missed the point

I don't think your analogy was lost on anyone, but I do think you would serve your purpose better on this forum by making your point, openly, in straight terms.  As I said previously we will all be dead before the time you get to actually making some definitive, factual, traceable statements regarding your knowledge of these tanks.  It could be that you do know some actual 'good stuff' but playing games with the guys on here is disrespectful to those whose potential backing it seems you are chasing.  And if, as you say, you are not young in years you could easily take this complete knowledge to the grave with you today/ tomorrow/ sooner than you think.  I will wait.

• Like 4