Ferret restoration progress pics

njjeeper

Hi all. Since so many folks here have helped me piece this Ferret back together, I thought you may want to see some updates.

So after some time with the Power Probe and lots of angry words, all the wiring is done and it all works! Side lights, blinkers, headlights, brake, etc. It runs off its own fuel tank and drives around really well. These pics are just after I put the right tires on it. All that's left is the turret, interior sheet metal and cleanup up of the wiring/routing inside. Here are some pics...

20160327_125600.jpg

20160327_125635.jpg

20160327_125628.jpg

20160327_125648.jpg

20160327_125701.jpg

20160327_125711.jpg

20160327_125720.jpg

TJ

The tires are STA Superlugs in 16x9.00. Here in the states access to original tires is non-existent so I used these. They are a VERY nice tire for a military vehicle if you don't want to use NDT types.

The color will stay desert tan but I will be redoing the stencils and painting the black parts. The previous owner did the current paint job/stencils when the hull was all apart and due to a change in color he decided on, the stencils are a bit uneven in spots.

The goal is to get into the memorial day parade here in Jersey so I have been hammering down on getting stuff done!

TJ

Ahhh, the box. Thats something I made for the military trucks I work on. Its a former battery charger. I gutted the transformer and other parts out of it, installed 2 batteries and rewired it with a slave cable connector on top. It gets 24 volt and full amps to the slave cable. The 2 lower right connectors get 24 volts with a 10 amp circuit breaker or 12 volts with a 10 amp circuit breaker. The voltage is selectable with the rotary switches. The lower left lugs are 12 volt, unfused for charging the first battery.

Perhaps more detail than you wanted but thats it! It will jump all the trucks and generators I have as well as provide power for side projects.

TJ

Coming along nicely.

I see yellow paint around the breather vent for the front left bevel box, I do hope it has not been painted over as it wont work if it has. I have so far seen 2 bevel boxes blow the seals after repeated paintings.

I have a spare convoy light for the rear if you need one, maybe if you come up for Aquino I could put it in your palm.

Great progress

Robin

Ahhh, the box. Thats something I made for the military trucks I work on... Perhaps more detail than you wanted...

Not at all, this is something that is of great interest to me. You don't happen to have a wiring diagram or some detailed photos? Something like that would be very handy around the museum, especially with the addition of an American style slave port and some regular jump start terminals. I feel a project coming on!

Cheers,

Terry

Its comparing apples to oranges using the original tire ply number as a guide.

Max load capacity per tire of the STA tire is 3030@50PSI. That's more than enough for a Ferret.

Not to mention that the ply count in the factory run flat is always going to vary significantly from a non-runflat. This doesn't even take into consideration the composition material differences from the original tire.

Ply is there to give an indication of max load for a given tire. In this case since this 8 ply tire far exceeds what a Ferret weighs, these should be fine.

Terry, PM me and Ill try to give you some more specifics on the battery box....

All that's left is the turret, interior sheet metal and cleanup up of the wiring/routing inside.

She looks great! Well done.

I ask you, is it even possible to clean up that horrible rat's nest of wiring in a Ferret? Even if you restore it to "the day it came out of the factory", it's still a horrible rat's nest, IMO.

Just venting.

Malcolm

Max load capacity per tire of the STA tire is 3030@50PSI. That's more than enough for a Ferret.

Sorry if my previous quote came across as critical, that was not my intention; I'm glad that you have suitable tires on the vehicle. Its not unknown for UK Ferret owners to have fitted inappropriately rated tires on their vehicles, which quickly manifests as poor handling characteristics due to excessive side wall deflection.

No worries Grasshopper, I didn't think you were being critical :) I just overloaded on info so that people didn't think I was running around with unsafe tires on an AFV.

As for wire cleanup, I agree! Its going to look like crap even after I make it look factory. All those connectors hanging out by the drivers feet/legs just seems a bit crazy!

Tyre Pressure?

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Mk 1 to 2[/TD]

[TD]Mk 3 to 4[/TD]

[TD]Mk 5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD]Road Use[/TD]

[TD][/TD]