Stgo 2

Hi all I'm new to all this truck registering business, I ve purchased a scammell S26 which is plated to carry 65 tonnes + now I need to get it registered with dvla. If I go down the route of STGO 2 private light goods not for hire or reward and it's being used to carry my 432 around do I need to get the truck mot'ed ?

Thanks ks in advance Col

Robin,

In the UK a vehicle operating exclusively under a Special Types Order is exempt MOT. We have a general order known as STGO for ordinary heavy haulage. The difficulty with using this exemption is that you cannot do anything which is not an abnormal load. (Hence the advice about the FV432) Also, our DVSA (a vehicle inspectorate) would not like it. Some vehicles can ONLY operate under special types as they are over width and therefore would automatically fail their MOT test.

Exemption from the MOT test does not mean exemption from the required standard of road worthiness!

John

if you are simply trying to avoid MOT Plating and test to ride about going to shows No there is no way you can do it. Full stop but I suspect you already knew that And as somebody has said why would you not want to subject it to a ministry test if it was in good order

Edited by cosrec

It will need a test as you can't run under STGO unless you are carrying an abnormal indivisible load. A 432 will fit on a normal truck so STGO doesn't apply.

(Unless it has all changed since I used to run a wagon!)

Adrian is quite correct on this one.

I have the same with my rig - I can only legally use it to carry STGO loads.

Another point to note is there is no such thing as Private Use when it comes to STGO Regs.

A specific requirement of having a truck used for STGO movements is that the truck is TAXED as such - nearly £3000 per year!!!

At that rate, you may as well put the S26 through an MOT and tax it as Private Use.

Markheliops

why would you not want to subject it to a ministry test if it was in good order

If there was a perfectly legal way of running without submitting to a test, it might be worth it. Particularly if it avoided being tested by somebody like we used to have at Ipswich who would go out of his way to fail you even if it meant making faults up. You really had to know the testers manual to get through.

There was also the time the tester, a much more helpful chap, gave me the opportunity to adjust a headlamp beam during the test. He was so helpful in fact, he attempted to do it himself, dislodged the screw and the headlamp fell out and smashed on the ground. ''Oh, I'll have to fail you for that'' he said.......

If there was a perfectly legal way of running without submitting to a test, it might be worth it. Particularly if it avoided being tested by somebody like we used to have at Ipswich who would go out of his way to fail you even if it meant making faults up. You really had to know the testers manual to get through.

There was also the time the tester, a much more helpful chap, gave me the opportunity to adjust a headlamp beam during the test. He was so helpful in fact, he attempted to do it himself, dislodged the screw and the headlamp fell out and smashed on the ground. ''Oh, I'll have to fail you for that'' he said.......

Different to the experience I had yesterday with my beavertail transporter

The guy could not have been more helpful, allowed me to adjust a headlight and change a bulb

The test itself was fairly painless

During the conversation he said they test to a minimum standard

By the way it failed on a track rod end and front brakes but I have no problem with that, get it fixed and in for retest