Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

A thing happened today!

Work had a bloke over to change some tyres out, so I asked if he'd crack the nuts off, since he had all the right gear (Big compressor, inch impact, proper hoses). Even that big impact struggled a little bit, but now they're cracked off, I can start cleaning the gunge out of the threads in preparation for pulling the wheels off to get at the brakes.

And this greatly helpful service was performed for the princely sum of... him having a sit in the cab while it burbled away, and some pictures; I did offer drink tokens, but he turned them down. What a nice bloke.

I've also gotten a little bit further with the new relay & fuse box; though had a minor set-back. Got a little bit carried away TIG-ing the brackets for the relay holders, put waaaaaay too much heat into the ally plate it's all on, and melted one of my bus-bars.

I was only planning on tacking the damn things on; but was having too much fun with the TIG.
    However, the new electrical centre is coming along quite nicely, other than that; I'll just have to order another bus-bar along with the rest of the stuff I need.

Relay holders only temporarily held in, until I can get all the wires in the bottom of them; then I'll bolt them all up neatly.

Perhaps I'm overdoing the electrics, but it'll be pretty fancy when it's all done. A far cry from the days of 4 fuses and a jar of magic smoke... I think it might be obvious I spend too much time doing vehicle electrics.

Current list for fuses is:
    1. 15A Cab switches
    2. 15A Ignition coil, ignition & oil pressure warning, starter solenoid
    3. 15A Fuel pump
    4. 5A Interior lighting
    5. 5A Horn
    6. 15A Dip beam N/S
    7. 15A Dip beam O/S
    8. 15A High beam N/S
    9. 15A High beam O/S
    10. 15A Sidelights N/S
    11. 15A Sidelights O/S
    12. 15A Brake lights
    13. 15A Indicators
    14. 15A Fog lights
    15. 5A Panel Illumination
    16. 15A Washers/wipers
    17. 15A Worklamps (rear)
    18. 15A Spotlamps (front)
    19. 15A Aux (battery)
    20. 15A Aux (ignition) -- will probably be swapped for 5A and used for the reverse camera. (...well, my day job involves fitting reverse/blindspot cameras to stuff with better visibility from the cab, I may as well fit one here. )
    21. 15A Aux (ignition)

Relays, of which there are a few, will be:
    1. (maxi-relay, 70A) Ignition switching
    2. Sidelights -- with additional micro-relay for switching the panel illumination.
    3. Dip headlights
    4. High beam
    5. Brake lights
    6. Fog lights
    7. Worklamps
    8. Spotlamps
    9. Beacons
    10. Windscreen washer pump
    11. Indicator flasher unit
    12. Interior light delay unit (Never had one of these before! 's gonna be fancy!)

2. Advertisement

You forgot the cigar lighter/phone charger socket!!
    Rob
    Zero-Five-Two

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer........... avoid the disappointment and use the big hammer in the first place

One Militant is not enough

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Timber Tractor 01BP60........aka. 375 UXK

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Fuel Tanker 65BN57.......aka. 294 UYU

Also the USB plug point for the Satnav.
    Bryan

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/

Any opinions are mine alone and not yours, unless you want them on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Five-Two View Post
    You forgot the cigar lighter/phone charger socket!!
    That's what the battery-fed aux fuse is for!

In other news, I managed to open the tin of black magick today...

Accelerator pump was stuck right the way down in its bore, but -- with a little fettling -- now works marvellously! The 300 seems a lot more lively when the loud pedal is pressed. Very tempted to take the big yellow beastie on a lap of the industrial estate to celebrate; but decided against it... (I really really don't want to cause trouble by being 6 tonnes of metal at 10+mph without brakes, which really should be next on my list now.)

Decided I'd spend some fuel to bring her up to temperature and see what else leaks, dribbles, or seeps. Water pump leak has gotten a little worse, by the looks of it; the makeshift gasket for the float bowl gently seeps fuel out; and I have a bit of an oil-seep from the rocker cover at the back of the engine.

I'll get there, slowly.

Thumbs down Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

And now, for the latest painful instalment of ego meets metal...

I decided, over the bank holiday weekend, to jack one corner up, pull the wheels off, yank the drum and at least have a look at the condition of the brake internals.

Someone who knows the manual better than I did at the time will now be chuckling and shaking their head.

Because I was at this point, and trying to gently tap the drum free with no luck...

...before I decided I'd have to check the manual, and made the frustrating discovery that the drums are mounted on the wrong side of the hub for them to come off without removing the hub!

Don't I feel a right idiot, now. Why couldn't it have been clamped on the outside of the hub, with the wheels?!

This is not the first, nor will it likely be the last, reminder to RTFM that I'm sure I'll skate happily past. On the bright side, the threads on the wheel-nuts for that corner have de-gunged quite nicely and aren't as unpleasantly tight as they were; so I can rationalise the whole exercise as some sort of progress, however small.

In hopefully smarter news, I've snagged a water-pump rebuild kit from the bay of E, so I can hopefully solve that coolant leak. We shall see.

I keep looking in and you are chipping away . glad your making progress

Thanks! It doesn't feel much like there's much progress. Doesn't help that, so far, it's mostly things being taken off...

Having to keep reminding myself it's a process; things have to come off and make things look worse, before it gets better.

Is it me being picky with the 'elf 'an safety, 'cos that axle stand looks a bit iffy
    Rob
    Zero-Five-Two

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer........... avoid the disappointment and use the big hammer in the first place

One Militant is not enough

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Timber Tractor 01BP60........aka. 375 UXK

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Fuel Tanker 65BN57.......aka. 294 UYU

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Five-Two View Post
    Is it me being picky with the 'elf 'an safety, 'cos that axle stand looks a bit iffy
    Not being picky at all! Yeah, it's a bit dodgy, I'll admit to that. I also had the jack under it most of the time, and the wheels set where they'd arrest any potential fall. (And positioning myself away from direction of fall as much as possible...)

I do need to get a proper stand, I know... The Health and Safety regulations are written in blood, as they say.

After the debacle with the brakes/bearings, I decided to tackle something a little easier; well, and it needed sorting before I could do much else with it.

The leaking water-pump.

Got a NOS pump rebuild kit (Quinton Hazell QW907) that's supposedly for that pump; and when that turned up...

...started removing the pump.

Well, I pulled the radiator cap off... and water gushed out of the weep-holes on the bottom, as well as turning into a tiny fountain from the weep-hole on the top. Well, that answers the question of just how badly shot the seals are.

So out it came, with surprisingly little struggle; I only cut and/or bashed myself three times. The denuded block needed a little cleaning up, but most of the gunk came off via some gentle scraping with a screwdriver.

Then, into the workshop with the patient. A quick buzz with the paint-stripper disk (Those things are expensive, but oh so nice. Hits all the rust and remaining paint off while barely touching the metal.) revealed that this isn't her first go around the block...

...those screws have seen some action. And, try as I might, I could only get two of them to come out with anything resembling reasonable force; and even that left them in no fit state to be re-used in good conscience, so I welded nuts onto the other two...

I'm kicking myself for not doing it to the first two, because they came out like they were brand new. A mere fraction of the time I spent with screwdriver and impact driver trying to get the others out. New screws have been ordered; we'll see if I managed to get the right ones, when they turn up.

Of course, while I had them out, I also just had to clean up and paint the pulley and fan; they were in such a dire state...

No reasoning behind the colour of the fan other than that's what I had, other than red oxide, and black. (...well, I also have a tin of a sandy yellow, but it's hideous )

That's where I left it, Wednesday, as I needed to go out and get a gear-puller. Which I did. Then today, I applied said gear puller to the flange... and promptly busted the flange.

I don't seem to have pictures of the cast-iron jigsaw puzzle that remained of it, but I've glued them together and dropped them off with the machinist next door to have a copy made in steel, as a no-rush project.

On the bright side, that freed up the rest of the water pump for disassembly; and oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

The bearings were on their way to becoming a breakfast cereal, crunching as they were...

Reassembly with new bits will continue when I figure out which bits need to go in which order; because the rebuild kit didn't come with instructions, and I'm trying to figure out which new bits match up with what old bits.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information