Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Well, it appears I didn't get as lucky as I'd hoped. (I should note, I've not run it since discovering that screw fell out.) I have one unhappy-looking exhaust valve. (Also, the oil was as diluted as expected. I got 20+ litres out, it stunk like petrol so badly that you could smell it six feet away.)

Off comes the manifolds, starting with the two studs that hold the downpipe onto the manifold. Naturally, one nut came off as if it were still factory fresh, and the other just instantly sheared flush with the casting.

Some more finagling and cussing got the carburettor off... (Note the studs holding the manifolds together have also been removed, I was hoping to remove just the one; but that's not how it works and, besides, the other would've just been in the way anyway.)

And, thankfully, all the nuts came off the studs/bolts came sweetly out of the head to allow me to remove the manifold.

Not as heavy as I'd expected, honestly.

Unfortunately, it gets a bit worse from there. Some careful checking with a length of TIG rod around the diameter of the valve revealed no simple obstruction pinched between valve and seat, so either the valve is bent, or just seized in the valve-guide.

I did get the valve to move slightly upwards via the very careful application of a little force, to nearly bring it close to its rest position, but it felt pretty horrible. There was a scraping/dragging sensation that comes from something being far too tight in a bore; I suspect that, at the very least, it's going to require a new valve and valve guide.

*sighing a-plenty*

An engine rebuild was already on the TODO list, but I was hoping to be able to carry on limping it across to the workshop under its own power so that I could do welding work. The engine is a project in and of itself, and I want to leave it until at least after the brakes are done before taking that on.

And just to rub it in, I've been blocked in the compound by a heavily-vandalised & immobilised truck, so I can't even simply tow it across to the workshop to do any welding.

I'll manage, somehow.

2. Advertisement

Any sign of the missing screw yet?

No sign of it yet, nope. I'll probably end up kneeling on it while working under the truck, or something...

Have to try and see the positive in these situations, that valve needed something doing wherever the screw has gone. All that has happened, really, is the engine rebuild has moved a few places up the todo list
    Rob
    Zero-Five-Two

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer........... avoid the disappointment and use the big hammer in the first place

One Militant is not enough

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Timber Tractor 01BP60........aka. 375 UXK

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Fuel Tanker 65BN57.......aka. 294 UYU

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Five-Two View Post
    Have to try and see the positive in these situations, that valve needed something doing wherever the screw has gone. All that has happened, really, is the engine rebuild has moved a few places up the todo list
    I'm not even moving it up the list, it can stay where it is until it gets it right. (Trying to keep the collection of loose parts down; so I really want to focus on getting the brakes back together, for now. Otherwise I'll have a heap of bits that I'll lose...)

It's not a catastrophe, just a minor inconvenience along the way.

Time for another little twitch of life, I think. Honestly, I've not gotten a great deal done; but little bits, here and there.

I've made up some brackets to hold lights (tail, brake, and indicator) at the top of the jib. In that vein, the old smashed lights and brackets have been removed; and I've run the cabling for both those lights, and the O/S light cluster. (Plus, bulbs have been fitted!)

Since it was also buried in the yard behind a(nother ) crippled wagon, I also went and hunted down a generator so I can run power-tools and my little welder (Which it does; I can't go for crazy power, but I'm not exactly welding massive steel plates together...) since I wouldn't be able to move it over to the workshop. Naturally, three days after I get the genny, the wagon blocking me in... gets dragged into the workshop to have the transporter gear stripped from it. Typical!

Still, here's hoping that I should be able to get more done, with power available over on the far side of the compound. I've measured up -- yet again -- for steel to start on putting metal back into the cab, so I should start getting material midweek, funds permitting.

Every little job is one less to do, dont put yourself under to much pressure

The scene of today's antics.

(Welder has a length of light chain wrapped through the handle, and a cable-tie to lock the chain off. I really need to get myself some longer welding leads than the ones that came with it...)

Edit: When I said antics, I meant it!

I didn't get any pictures of the original brackets, or how they were welded. But here's a nice close in shot of where one used to be, now with the lump of weld ground off.

New brackets stuck on slightly lower down on the jib. The new location protects the lights a bit better, since they're now sat behind the top section of the jib, and the brackets themselves help shield the lights a little from the rear, just in case.

The original ones were mounted on top of that double-thickness flange in the foreground. (Thankfully, they were easy enough to remove, because they were only welded on one side. Sufficient enough for a light-bracket, though, but I like to overbuild a little...)

Not the prettiest weld I've ever done, but not too shabby for being done while standing on the A-frame. It's still more than enough for a light-bracket. It should be able to withstand some abuse...

A productive-enough couple of hours, all in all.
    Last edited by Tamber; 01-07-2017 at 19:46.

Get the head off, do all the valves and seats. They are the sweetest motor when the gaps are set with a dti. When a young mechanic we did dozens of RLs for Field Repair. We had competitions between ourselves to see how quickly some operations could be done.

I took advantage of the nice weather this afternoon to get some more little bits and pieces done. For starters, I evicted the brake master cylinder from my toolbox locker and mounted that back on the chassis; it's still got all its protective blanks and cap on, and is filled up with fluid to hopefully absorb any moisture that might end up inside (It should reduce the likelihood of water building up at low-spots, and I can flush that fluid out as needed.)

Depending on how my brake re-fit goes, I might end up fitting the brake servo without the air assist, just to provide the linkages to give me at least manual brakes. (Since it should only be one air-line, and the mounting bolts, to take it back off when I figure out how I'm attacking the assist valve.) I won't really need to fit it until I get the rear brake cylinders on and that rear circuit piped up, though.

I've also been doing a bunch of measuring of fittings and pipe (It appears that it's pretty much all 1/2-20UNF and 5/16" pipe.) for new brake lines; as well as stripping out old brake and air lines. Not much that leads to many pretty pictures, unfortunately; though I have discovered that the thread on the air lines is mildly interesting. It appears to be a BSC thread: 7/8-26 with a 60 thread angle.

Not sure that information is really useful to anyone, but there we go.

Also, I certainly won't be winning any competitions for speed on getting this thing done.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread Information