Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

I'm not sure I would; it's designed for a different job, typically in static situations; and in my experience in the places you're using anti-sieze in close proximity to friction materials (e.g. anti-rattle shims on brake pads) you're using a very thin smear so contamination risk is very low.

2. Advertisement

Hmm. Fair enough. I'll keep looking, then.

Phew, these past couple of weeks have been a bit of a blur, again. I keep looking at the date-stamps on the photos and going

Tuesday before last, after work, I refitted the NSR hub; put the wheels back on, discovered I'd forgotten to put the tapered washers back on, threw my hands up in the air, and went home.

Wednesday, I pulled the wheels back off, put the tapered washers on, put the wheels back on again; and moved over to attacking the other side. Now, the OSR is the one I made an attempt at attacking last year, and couldn't get the drum off.

Still didn't get the drum off on Wednesday, either. Took the whole hub off with the drum attached; which made it about as heavy and cumbersome to deal with as you might expect.
    For giggles, I took my camera with me and recorded most of the four-ish hours I was there; though, with the dead space and "sit here hammering on something for half an hour" clipped or sped-up, it's trimmed down to a little under an hour.

(For those who can stomach nearly an hour of inane mumblemouth rambling, cursing, and the sounds of forklifts/angle grinders/things being hit with a hammer; the video is processing and shall be uploaded in due course. I promise I've removed most of my standing around thinking and scratching my head. )

Nearly a week after that (Which was a surprise to me, it felt like a mere couple of days!), I got the drum separated from the hub; and oh boy did that take some effort. With the whole assembly sat on its back -- drum flat on the floor and the hub 'hanging' from the shoulders on the wheel studs -- I pounded on the end of the wheel studs with the 40oz "Persuader" until the thumping changed tone, and the hub dropped free not too long afterwards.

I got complaints from everyone in the canteen on the other side of the building, because I'd filled their afternoon break with heavy thumping sounds. I then celebrated by wiring up the other sidelight; because why not!

The hub has been cleaned up...

...primed...

(Yes, I used spray primer, rather than the nicer brush-on stuff. I wanted to get some primer on it sharp-ish, rather than leave the bare metal alone in the damp air of the workshop for too long.)

...and painted. (First coat, it looks much better after its second.)

It's also gotten a new axle seal; even though it hadn't been leaking, I was already in that far and had the seal... it'd be silly not to! (Of course, now it'll bloody leak! )

Out with the old seal, and admiring the bearing.

Then gently, but firmly, seat the new one; as seen behind my fancy new hand-made artisanal wooden mallet.

I've also now removed the brake shoes on the OSR, and am to attack the brake cylinder & expander next. Progress is a thing, it seems.

Regarding the video I mentioned earlier… It's nearly an hour of your life you can't get back; no refunds.

Anyway! The OSR expander and brake cylinder are out, sitting on the workbench awaiting attention. Gave myself a hard time removing them by forgetting to remove the stop-pin, so the brake cylinder didn't unscrew from the expander... the pull-rod unscrewed from the brake cylinder. Ah well.

Sunday, I set in to be productive! Can't say I was really all that productive, and some pointless cosmetics happened.

It all starts with the hub, which I slung on Saturday night; hub nuts in, torqued, etc.

The obvious next step after that, was to go pressure wash the hub... plate... ...thing, like I commented about in the video; because it was pretty manky. Well, something funny happened when I did that...

Well, it saves me wire-wheeling it to get the paint off, I guess. No kidding, just the pressure washer with the heater turned on, and the paint just peeled off. So then I had to go get out the paint and make that all nice and shiny again.

And while that was drying, the good idea fairy struck again...

Clearly, I needed to inspect the inside of the axle housing for anything that looked suspicious; and this wasn't merely a case of me forgetting that the bottom two bolts are the drains, and zapping the bolts out starting from the top.

Mmmm, shiny.

Looks like the cover has seen its fair share of chaos, though.

Especially at this bottom corner!

(And, from the outside)

Overall, though, it's looking a bit shabby...

...and I already had the paint out, so after a bit of faffing with a wire wheel to strip the surface rust... then running out of battery on the grinder, off to the pressure washer I went!

Well, that's interesting. Once again, the paint just peeled back in layers; like an onion, but with less crying.

Anyone recognise their handwriting, several decades later? This was under a layer of black, then four or so layers of green. There's also a layer of white under there, too.

Anyway, I cleaned it up, dried it off and gave it a couple of coats of paint; with a little twist.

I think I'll give that little patch a coat of clear, because I found it interesting enough to keep.

That was where I left it on Sunday, while I waited for the sealant to set. This afternoon, I got around to putting the oil in it; which was a slow, exhausting process... pumping 90-weight oil in until it started to ooze out of the level plug.

Hopefully, I can now return my focus to the brakes; I'd like to have at least the rear brakes working by the end of the year. We'll see how that goes, but it's good to have goals, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamber View Post
    It all starts with the hub, which I slung on Saturday night; hub nuts in, torqued, etc.
    Tamber - I hope that's a turn of phrase and you haven't torqued the hub nuts - or it's not the bearing nuts you're referring to - or your bearings will die very quickly!

Mmmm, shiny.
    Nothing a pair of good ear muffs won't cure

Quote Originally Posted by Sean N View Post
    Tamber - I hope that's a turn of phrase and you haven't torqued the hub nuts - or it's not the bearing nuts you're referring to - or your bearings will die very quickly!
    Turn of phrase. They're tightened to spec as per the manual: tight as possible by hand, with the socket sans bar, and then back off a sixth of a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.S. View Post
    Nothing a pair of good ear muffs won't cure
    Not sure if I'll need 'em, at the moment. I've not driven it with drive going through that rear diff, yet. We'll see.

Nothing major at the moment; just trickling along getting bits and pieces together, so this is mostly a "still here, haven't given up" post.

I dropped the brake servo off at CTS a week or so ago to see if they could find the missing bits of the control valve for the servo cylinder; no luck there. (Side-note: Apparently, their go-to place for information on these bits has most of its knowledge-base residing in the head of a man named Frank, who's only in on Tuesdays. It scares me a little just how much information is contained solely within the Franks of this world.)

The hunt continues to figure out what bits I'm missing, and where to get them from. Worst case, I'll have to come up with my own solution for controlling the assist cylinder. (I suspect it'll be along the lines of an external valve with an extended plunger reaching through where the original valve was.)

On the lights front... or, well, rear: I've gotten some light units for the back end. They're perhaps a touch too modern, but we'll see how they look when they're on the truck. More wiring to follow.

I dropped the brake servo off at CTS a week or so ago to see if they could find the missing bits of the control valve for the servo cylinder; no luck there.
    Post what you need with photos, might have it or be able to find it.

(Side-note: Apparently, their go-to place for information on these bits has most of its knowledge-base residing in the head of a man named Frank, who's only in on Tuesdays. It scares me a little just how much information is contained solely within the Franks of this world.)
    There is an old saying - "when an old man dies, it's as though a whole library has been burnt". I wish there was some way of downloading the knowledge of the Franks of this world. Forums like this are a start.

Post what you need with photos, might have it or be able to find it.
    I'll get some pictures when I'm next at work. (Ideally, I'll have pictures tomorrow, unless I forget. )
    Even just knowing what shape the missing bits need to be would be a great help!

There is an old saying - "when an old man dies, it's as though a whole library has been burnt". I wish there was some way of downloading the knowledge of the Franks of this world. Forums like this are a start.
    I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly; tricky to get some of that information into a form that can be written down, though.

Continuing onward...

I decided not to work, today, due to it being a bank holiday; and, instead, ...went in to work, and spent the day getting rained on while I tinkered with the truck.

The rear lights. See what I mean about "a touch modern"? They'll do for now, at least. I was happy with them earlier, now I'm not so sure. (I wonder how long the Rubbolite 360s have been around, though... plenty of decade+ old stuff running around with them on, and still plenty of brand new stuff with them fitted from factory.)

The ones that were on there when I got it were multi-functions made by Butler, that had been fitted on a bracket mounted to the supports for the wings. When I took those off the brackets, I discovered what had been on there previously...

Looks like they were originally mountings for a pair of Lucas L594s.

After that dubious bit of 'productivity', I changed tack again; and managed to get the dizzy out, with lots of careful mallet-work to get it unstuck from its home in the block. I don't seem to have any pictures of the exterior of it before I started cleaning & un-gumming, but the inside was less than spectacular:

Model & part number, just in case anyone was wondering: Delco-Remy D204 7953576

It did clean up nice, and everything moves as it should. Including the vacuum advance, which was looking rather sorry for itself initially.

(Once again, apologies for the lack of pictures, but my hands were utterly filthy from cleaning rust flakes and gunge out of it; so operating my phone was pretty low on my list of priorities.)

I did put a new O-ring on (size 211) while I had it out, and applied some copper anti-seize paste to where it sticks into the block, so that I'd have a chance of being able to adjust it. Some persuasion was required to get it to seat back in the block, but it went in with no major hang-ups, and can be twisted freely now -- with the clamp loosened off -- so I can actually adjust the timing.

(And, yes, I did get it to go back in with the rotor arm pointing in the same direction as when I took it off. )
    Last edited by Tamber; 14-04-2017 at 19:57. Reason: forgot a picture

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread Information