You ever have one of those days where you step back and say to yourself "What the hell have I done?!"
Today was one of those days.
Let's rewind a little bit, and start from the beginning.
* Wibbly wobbly rewinding effect *
Got myself a new toy; cordless grinder. This did not bode well for the truck.
Today was meant to mostly be a recon mission; figure out where the rotten bits are, and work out a plan of attack. So on went the wire wheel, and I started whizzing off all the filler.
Some bits turned out not to be so bad under all the filler.
And some of the bits that were bad, didn't appear so bad after all.
(Remember that remark. We'll be back here later.)
However, there are definite signs of advanced rot at the back edges of the cab.
Signs of previous repairs, too. (It's a bit hard to see, but it becomes a lot more obvious later on.)
And, of course, the rotten cab floor.
Naturally, I exposed the full rotten-ness of the driver's door while stripping all the body-filler; of which there was a not-inconsiderable amount. This all had to be chopped out.
I've seen teabags with fewer holes!
Some tin-bashing later...
I should note, my hand-held joggler tool will just about move that 1mm, but not by enough; so that's all been joggled by hand. It's not the prettiest job, but it'll do. I don't think it's too bad for someone who has never done sheet metal work before.
(I have an NVQ2 in fabrication & welding... platework, that is!)
Some fettling required.
Now, as I didn't have a long enough lead to reach all the way across the car-park to run my welder, I've given that patch panel a quick blast of primer, and left it with the other panel I have (for the roof) to deal with later; when I can either throw an extension lead over into the next unit, or tow the truck over to the workshop to do the welding.
So! Onward and, er, downwards, really.
Remember that bit I said didn't seem too bad, earlier? Yeah, well...
And that's when that whole corner fell off.
All of that fuzzy bit looks to be a repair to the structure of the cab; there's a bit of box-section, and then a patch over the top of it. None of which was painted prior to becoming sealed away, so it's all instantly rotted again. The inside of the box section feels to be full of flakes; and I'm still deciding how much more I need to chop at.
My plan of attack for the box section, at the moment, is to wire wheel the snot out of it until I can figure out where everything's joined together and how much I'll need to remove. I'm also thinking of taking a small hole-saw to the box section to allow me to clean it out, inspect how bad it is on the inside, and also apply Waxoyl to the inside of it. (I have a pressure-can with a spray hose for reaching in and splattering the sludge everywhere...)