Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Well, I've rebuilt the water pump as best as I could figure out how to, and have a bag of screws freshly delivered this afternoon; so after I get the backplate put back on, I'm only a flange, some gaskets, and rubber hose away from reassembly!

If it still leaks after this, I'm going to be quite annoyed.

2. Advertisement

"If at first you don't succeed, give up and run away (then try again later)".

Loving this restoration blog. Been there (some years ago) with my first truck which was a Matador. Having not learned that lesson, I then bought a 2nd...

Vince
    1971 AMG MUTT M151A2

Previously owned MVs- 3x LR 101 GS, 110 V8, Chevrolet Blazer K5, HD Wolf TUM, 3x Matadors, Zil 131, Ferret Mk1, Sankey trailer, Freuhoff Tilt bed recovery trailer

Ward LaFrance crew member A&E 2010, 2012

Qualified coal-hoofing spade-waver, Bluebell Railway 2015

I'll get somewhere with it eventually. Even if I don't manage to get it on the road, I'm hoping to at least leave it in better shape than when I started.

It's looking like that flange won't be done any time this week; the machine shop is swamped with work, as usual. The biggest problem this causes me, is not being able to fire the truck up for a while and move her. I would like to get cracking on with patching the holes in the bodywork -- particularly the roof -- but that requires access to a welder, and I don't have a long enough extension lead to reach from the workshop.

Despite not being able to move it around under its own power, I've cracked on with some little bits today; mostly changing grease-nipples for modern ones that my grease-gun will actually stick to, and getting fresh grease shoved places. The Harvey Frost recovery gear now runs nice and smoothly, and all the cables for the lifting hooks are wound back onto the drums a little bit more properly, rather than the tangled mess they were before.

(Cleaned up the plates a little with a greasy rag, which brought them up quite nicely, I think.)

I've also gotten a little further with cleaning, wire-brushing, and painting the chassis with thick gloopy undercoat.

And, looking at a section I've not got to yet, for comparison...

It's nothing magic: Hammerite (Yeah, yeah, I know. ) Underbody seal with Waxoyl; I've had pretty good luck with it so far, probably since it stays somewhat flexible, so isn't as likely to crack and let water in to sit against the metal. Plus, it brushes on pretty easy, and -- being a nice thick gloopy stuff -- all the brush-strokes settle out quite nicely.

You may also have noticed I've not hit the tank mountings with it; that's because I'm not quite sure whether or not I'll be keeping those mounting brackets, yet.

I'm also still faffing about with thoughts for the paintwork, if I get around to that. Colours are roughly decided:

• the yellow bodywork will be going BS 381C Golden Yellow, including the roof that's currently brown. (I did want to make the roof black; but I suspect that it'll be hot enough in the cab without turning it into a solar cooker. It's bad enough in full sun with it in brown!)
    • The recovery jib, in black; with some yellow at the top to make the height of it visible, so I have a chance of not accidentally hitting things with it.
    • Wheels; probably black. Maybe.

Oh, the choices! Maybe I should just do it all in DBG instead, saves me having to think too much.

The civilian ones had black chassis/axles etc when new. I would normally prefer that an ex military vehicle be restored to its original military colours and body style and any more modern 'improvements' be put back to original, but your truck is probably more interesting in its civilian guise and I think that gives you license to do more or less anything. I agree with you about having a light colour roof - maybe even white ? In hot weather the cabs do get a bit warm. Some nice period style signwriting would look good too.

David

glad your getting there with it . I keep popeing in to see the progress that you are making with it . keep the photos and updates coming .

It'd be nice if I had more progress to post about, right now. Pulley ...flange... bit is still in the machine-shop; they've turned it up, but weren't sure on the diameter of the shaft so hadn't drilled it yet. Dropped the pump off Monday for them to measure it, and apparently it's an obnoxious size that they don't have a reamer for.

(It was quite amusing as he mic'd it up, frowned at it, mic'd it again, got the calculator out, mic'd it again, went over to the conversion chart... And pronounced it to be 35/64ths, so it'll have to be bored out rather than simply drilled and reamed. There's always something, isn't there?)

I've also started pulling the rotten boards from the bed floor, to give me better access to the inside of the chassis (Scraping and painting ahoy!); and I've gotten a sheet of 1mm steel to start making repairs to the bodywork, in particular the cab floor.

(The sheet metal repairs would be easier if I could drive the big yellow hulk over to the workshop to do the welding. I shall, however, perspire and persevere.)

Also, check out my knob!

Different to the old one, which was a flat mushroom sort of shape (and disintegrated anyway); but infinitely preferable to trying to shift by grabbing the sharp metal nut at the top of the lever.

While I was down at the unit, to do my car's annual oil-change, I thought I'd fit it and make a few brum-brum noises. Definitely going to need an elbow-pad for those changes into 2nd, it seems.

Also definitely need to hoover up inside the cab, somehow; the mass of rust and paint flakes make it very difficult to see what needs urgent attention and what's just cosmetic.

...and now I've found the pictures I took of what I've done to the bed floor. Some of the planks felt good until I pried up the metal stripping between them, and discovered the edges were soft and squishy. And, of course, all of the bolts are seized solid or merely unidentifiable blobs of rust.

As luck would have it, though, I've had plenty of practise fitting planks for a bed, over this weekend gone; so it shouldn't prove too tricky to sort this mess out, right?

That's the worst of the rotten wood out; I'd already fallen through one of those planks as it was.

And there's definitely something to be said for the resilience of good ol' red lead. A wire brush and scraper has started to clean this up nicely, and then I can start prepping for re-painting.

This side will need a little more clean-up, but should turn out fine.

I had wondered why those cross-members flexed so much while I was prying on the boards!
    Yup, Vass gas-axed the C section so they could run the sub-frame for the jib through. And the end of the subframe that's hidden under the body is a nice wobbly torch cut, too. I'd be getting a shouting at for being too rough, if I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamber View Post
    Definitely going to need an elbow-pad for those changes into 2nd, it seems. .
    They're not too bad once you get used to them. And by and large you'll be starting off in second anyway, unless steep hill or heavy load.

It just fell off! Honest!

I was quite surprised at how easily the four bolts holding that rack on, undid. I was expecting to really have to fight them; but they just... unscrewed. Not used to that. That's all been set aside for cleaning up later, and I started poking and prodding around in the area that freed up.

Front of the body is a bit tatty, but shouldn't be too complicated to fix.

Moving forwards, the back of the cab has some... er... I'll politely call them repairs, for now. Judging by how the back of the cab is eaten away -- that skin, and the floor -- in those corners; I suspect they've just been slapped on over the top of rust-holes.

Then I climbed up to inspect the known rust on the roof; and in doing so, leant on the back of the roof.
    scrunch

Oo-er.

It looks more and more like a teabag the further I hit it with the wire brush!

Then, on to the ominous sections of the roof. Now, there was a Large tub of P38 in one of the storage lockers when I first investigated the truck; and I think I've discovered where most of it has been used.

Some hammering and prying la... is that bloody newspaper?! Why, yes, it is!

Yet more hammering, scraping, prying, and sanding...

Let's see what's behind door number 38

(You can tell what's coming, can't you?)

Ha!

Good grief.

Mmm, crunchy!

Cleaned up as best as I could, and slapped some primer on it -- like I did with all the other spots I've brushed and sanded -- in the hope of delaying the rust a little longer so I still have something to attach repair panels to when I've made them. I forsee lots of cutting, joggling, welding, and fettling.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information