Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Big Yella Bedford RL -- 11CE32 -- (Was: It's here!)

I know it's not very Military Vehicle; not any more, anyway, but...

A very happy dance was done, all the same; though there's a lot of work waiting for me. At least I have most of the bits that've fallen off (such as the mirror, which looks like people have been treating it like a grab-handle for years); and stuff like the engine cover.

Did have to commit a minor act of abuse to the door-lock on the driver's side in order to get that door to open, unfortunately ; with no glass in the door, I think water got in and seized the latch... I took the handle off the outside (no damage to the handle, though. ), then had to 'shim' the latch from inside the cab.

...then took the seized locking mechanism out of the door, so it won't get stuck again. I'll fix it later, need to get it running first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160211_123501.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	112861

Vass strikes again.

Name:	IMG_20160211_123513.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	243.5 KB 
ID:	112862

The aforementioned Harvey Frost gear on the back. A coupla little squirts with 3-in-1, and everything was turning beautifully; though I'd like to replace all the crusted up grease-nipples and force some fresh grease in there. Me and my brother wound it all the way down to the ground, and back up again, with almost no effort at all; probably a different matter entirely with 5 tons on the back of it, though.

Name:	IMG_20160211_124227.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	242.5 KB 
ID:	112864
    (Also, two spare wheels! Though they're 11.00-20s, and the fitted wheels have 9.00-20s. Not too keen on those locking-ring style wheels, either; call me paranoid... )

Chassis number plate(?) under a few layers of paint...

RLW3 27659.

Name:	IMG_20160211_125713.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	112863

One day, those numbers will start rolling 'round again...

Name:	IMG_20160211_134849.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	112868

First step is to get the engine freed up and rotating; so I need to put a bit of oil down the bores, and get a breaker bar on the crankshaft pully nut. Then, the list-making starts.
    My father just shakes his head and thinks I'm crazy; my co-workers think I'm crazy, but they're excited about it all the same... I might be (okay, yeah, I am) crazy, but you only get one go around at life, so why not do something interesting with it?
    Last edited by Tamber; 23-06-2016 at 23:45. Reason: Thread title change.

2. Advertisement

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

now this looks very nice and I think I have seen this . did you get it from Clacton way by any chance . I think its the same one I went after a few years ago..

I have just looked at my photos and yes this is the same one. it was saved from the scrap man by Patrick Cullum of Colchester who was a big Bedford fan. it was going for scrap because it had dropped a valve . so don't try and start it . pat had it under cover for many years . . about 4 years ago pat was told he had cancer so he had a sale and this and half a dozen other bedfords were sold . I knew what it made if you want to know. it was sold to whitings lorry breakers of Clacton way . . did you get it from them. please keep the photos coming as I would like to see it come together . best of luck .

Yeah, I got it from John Whitings on Clacton road.

it was going for scrap because it had dropped a valve
    Ooh, grief. Thanks for the warning on that one; though I wasn't planning on trying to crank it over without checking for stuff that's stuck or broken. But, forewarned is forearmed, and all that.

I'll get the little inspection camera into all the cylinders, see if I can't get some more info about how things are sat.

I knew what it made if you want to know
    I'd be glad to hear, thanks. (And thanks for the luck; I have a feeling I'm going to need it. )

Enjoy the restoration Tamber, look forward to the photos,
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Tamber View Post
    Yeah, I got it from John Whitings on Clacton road.

Ooh, grief. Thanks for the warning on that one; though I wasn't planning on trying to crank it over without checking for stuff that's stuck or broken. But, forewarned is forearmed, and all that.

I'll get the little inspection camera into all the cylinders, see if I can't get some more info about how things are sat.

I'd be glad to hear, thanks. (And thanks for the luck; I have a feeling I'm going to need it. )
    I offered him 500 for it when he told me it was going in the sale and it made 580 on the day . are you in Essex .

What a smashing little project, and a good pedigree too, Harvey Frost Crane fitted by Vass etc. Looking forward to more photos and write up as you get into it.
    Rob
    Zero-Five-Two

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer........... avoid the disappointment and use the big hammer in the first place

One Militant is not enough

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Timber Tractor 01BP60........aka. 375 UXK

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Fuel Tanker 65BN57.......aka. 294 UYU

Quote Originally Posted by doug fleet View Post
    I offered him 500 for it when he told me it was going in the sale and it made 580 on the day . are you in Essex .
    Ooh-err, now I'm scared to say what I paid for it. We'll chalk that one up to inexperience; and a little bit too much enthusiasm, I think. I'm not in Essex; a wee bit more north than that. Horwich, Greater Manchester.

Crouch Recovery did a wonderful job of bringing it up; a 500 mile round-trip for them. It was interesting to see they brought it up as a suspended tow, rather than on a flat-bed, though; but at least that means the back brakes aren't stuck...

I'll do my best to get pictures when I work on it; because otherwise I'll never remember how it goes back together.

So,

if the conversion was done by Vass does that mean it is an ex MOD vehicle or Home office?

If so is there a new category we should have at shows "was a military vehicle now repurposed"?

Great stuff

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by robin craig View Post
    So,

if the conversion was done by Vass does that mean it is an ex MOD vehicle or Home office?

If so is there a new category we should have at shows "was a military vehicle now repurposed"?

Great stuff

Robin
    You can always tell a military RL from a Home Office one at a quick glance. The large removable panel above the rad grille is for access to the FV air filter on military versions, also this one appears to have the mid mounted winch as well, do not think HO ever specified that.
    Richard Farrant

1943 Bedford QLD - 1941 BSA WM20 - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk.2
    MVT no. 1087 - IMPS no. 57 - AMVCS hon. member and Comms. officer
    KVE Committee member and Newsletter editor

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information