Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: It's here! (Bedford RL)

Default Re: It's here! (Bedford RL)

One tip you probably already know - the distributor clamp, if it's the one which is essentially just a folded piece of sheet steel, is easy to distort by overtightening the pinch bolt - it only needs to be pinched up fairly lightly.

Lights look fine and can always be changed later. Look at all the AFS trucks running around with those big square Rubbolite units on.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sean N View Post
    There is an old saying - "when an old man dies, it's as though a whole library has been burnt". I wish there was some way of downloading the knowledge of the Franks of this world. Forums like this are a start.
    Unfortunate but very true. The main problem is, the stereotypical Frank is an unassuming bloke who is quite modest and doesn't see himself, or his knowledge, as being anything special. He does what he does, but no one notices until after he's gone
    Rob
    Zero-Five-Two

If at first you dont succeed, get a bigger hammer........... avoid the disappointment and use the big hammer in the first place

One Militant is not enough

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Timber Tractor 01BP60........aka. 375 UXK

1954 AEC Militant Mk1 Fuel Tanker 65BN57.......aka. 294 UYU

Quote Originally Posted by Zero-Five-Two View Post
    Unfortunate but very true. The main problem is, the stereotypical Frank is an unassuming bloke who is quite modest and doesn't see himself, or his knowledge, as being anything special. He does what he does, but no one notices until after he's gone
    Very very true, unfortunately.

(Same with all those parts places that are wall to wall shelves with scruffy little cardboard boxes, and the old guy behind the counter who knows where everything is; even if you're looking for that 1958-only counter-clockwise turbo-retro-encabulator that's just a strange assembly with spinny bits and a collection of springs to everyone else.

Then the Franks pass on, and you get left with the spotty young kid who's job is apparently just to tell you that the computer can't find the part you need because it doesn't recognise your chassis or registration number.
    )

But I digress...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean N View Post
    Post what you need with photos, might have it or be able to find it.
    These are the bits I have: The plastic top cap, and part of the control valve.

They go in here:

(CTS circled it while they were taking pictures to send to their sources and whatnot.)

After prodding, poking, mapping the ports out, and headscratching, I have a rough idea of how it might've worked, and possibly what bits I'm missing (I think I have a drawing somewhere on my desk. I know I made a drawing, it's just finding it. I organise geologically; think sedimentary.. ); but that's not the same as knowing what was actually there and how it actually worked.

Another mini-update, as I've been in a little bit of a slump recently and haven't gotten much done. (I really need to tidy my workbench off, so I can get back to those brake expanders; that'd help. They're somewhere under the heap of cable-ends, bags that used to hold parts, and installation documentation from various kits.)

Thanks to Ian (Ian43 on this fine board), I now have a working door-lock and locking fuel filler cap.

(Before anyone mentions it; yes, that Record vice in the latter half of the video has seen some serious abuse, and keeps on kicking. Two lads were recently dismembering a hydraulic ram in it; and the handle is now shaped like a turkey twizzler because they were tightening the vice with a length of tube over the handle And when that didn't work, they welded the job to the vice jaws... Let's see the powdered shop-floor-sweepings modern knock-offs stand up to that.)

Eesh, if it's not one thing, it's another.

The other day, I went to double-check and re-set static timing, just in case I'd screwed something up; and as I barred the engine over, there was a thunk and it stopped dead.

Pulled the spark-plugs, and it started to turn over again; wound it over on the starter, and fuel squirted out. Note, not fuel mist but liquid petrol.

Some checks were made, and I spotted fuel dribbling down onto the throttle-plate. Did the usual wishful-thinking fix of tapping the float-bowl with a screwdriver; nothing improved.

"Ah, fuel pressure's maybe a little high..." thinks Jim, in a full-on smoothbrain moment, completely forgetting that the electric pump was meant for carburettors and that sort of issue would've reared its head sooner anyway.

So a pressure regulator was ordered, and fitted. And the problem persisted, even with the pressure set to 1psi. A co-worker suggested a stuck float, and the float-bowl was removed. Float wasn't sticking, but fuel did seem to be pouring out unless it was held at a certain angle.

Let's have a wee game of Spot the Difference (Followed -- and this is foreshadowing -- by a game of Hide and Seek.):

Venturi side of the emulsion block after the carb rebuild:

Venturi side of the emulsion block this afternoon:

Yes, that screw has gone where you think it's gone. : I'm going to break out the inspection camera and go on a hunt for that stray screw. I'm not getting my hopes up too much, but I shan't despair yet. (In any case, does anyone know what size & thread that screw is, then I can order a replacement? )

I also need to get some more oil ordered, since the sump probably has more petrol in it than the tank does, at this point...

Camera poked down plug-holes has come up inconclusive. I don't have any horrible noises when I crank the engine over, though, so I'm not going to bump "engine tear-down" up the list of priorities just yet.
    For the time being, I'll plan on towing the truck to the workshop with the forklift when I need to work on it.

Today also saw some more rot removal.

The repair/reinforcement around the nearside end of the rear cab crossmember, which was full of rust-flakes.
    (A healthy, iron-rich way to start the day; best enjoyed as part of a balanced diet, etc.)

Surprisingly, the battery-box didn't drop out of the truck when I removed that bit.

Still a little overwhelming, but I'm building a picture in my head of how it's supposed to go back together, as I strip the layers back. One piece at a time...

You are a braver man than I am, cranking the engine with a known foreign object somewhere in there, horrible noises or not. The clunk you heard when the engine stopped dead was probably a piston making contact with an inlet valve that had been jammed open by the screw, or maybe the screw becoming trapped between a piston and an open valve. If so, it was exteremely fortunate that it happened while you were turning the engine by hand and not cranking on the starter or, even worse, with the engine running. Sad to say, I fear that your options are either to do whatever is necessary to locate and remove the screw, even if it means taking the head and manifolds off, or playing Russian roulette every time you start the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskull View Post
    You are a braver man than I am, cranking the engine with a known foreign object somewhere in there, horrible noises or not.
    Braver, or dafter, one of the two.

The clunk you heard when the engine stopped dead was probably a piston making contact with an inlet valve that had been jammed open by the screw, or maybe the screw becoming trapped between a piston and an open valve.
    That's always a possibility.

Sad to say, I fear that your options are either to do whatever is necessary to locate and remove the screw, even if it means taking the head and manifolds off, or playing Russian roulette every time you start the engine.
    I don't plan on starting it until I'm confident I don't have any chunky bits inside it. Even if that means I'm towing it around the industrial estate with a forklift for the next year or two. (With my luck, now I've said that, someone will have had a tidy-up and thrown my tow-bar out... )

I know I will need to tear that engine all apart at some point, since -- even without the screw that it has ingested -- it sat so long with the carburettor open to the elements that at least one bore is going to look a bit ugly; but, right now, I have enough on my plate -- and the looming threat of a workshop move potentially within a few months -- that I don't really want to add that as well.

However, I am going to try my luck with a small, powerful magnet and see what I fish out of the plug-holes. If I don't get something from there; then I'll take the inlet manifold off and try my luck there. (But I don't plan on taking the head off, unless the engine's out of the truck and I'm going for "full rebuild/recondition".)

By coincidence I saw this ad today.
    https://monsterstuff.net/collections...ping-worldwide
    Bryan

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/

Any opinions are mine alone and not yours, unless you want them on your head.

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
    By coincidence I saw this ad today.
    https://monsterstuff.net/collections...ping-worldwide
    Looks very similar to the one I have, though perhaps it's a little skinnier. (Mine's got a 7mm diameter body) It can be a very useful tool, if you can just manage to get it to reach where you need and point in the right direction, which is easier said than done.

I've not managed to get much done over the last we... fortnight or so. It's been a bit hectic with work, etc; and it's all just a bit of a blur. Doesn't help that my work week is out of sync with the calendar week, so I'm never really sure what day it is.

Anyway!

The screw that's missing from the carburettor is a little oddball, it appears to be M4x0.75; which is a non-standard (but formerly popular apparently in French stuff) metric screw that's apparently made of unobtanium. (Yes. Metric. I was highly surprised, too. I had to do the "check it four times, remove glasses and hold it up to the light and a bit closer just to make sure" dance. Started with the UNF/UNC thread pitch gauges; they fit the thread profile, but not the thread pitch. Whitform is the wrong angle, so it wasn't that. And the 0.75mm metric gauge dropped in perfectly. Go figure.)

I've solved this problem the slightly rough way (Retapped the hole for a screw that I actually had: a standard M4x0.70. ) and applied a dab of thread-locker to all of them.

Continuing on the theme of hackery, I've undone the rear cab mount and jacked the cab up very slightly to sit it on a length of 1-1/4" box section laid across the chassis rails; taking the weight off the rear mount and the hollow section it's attached to, so that I can cut out that rusted section and replace it with new metal without the cab falling off. Hopefully. I'll have the camera rolling when I make those cuts, so you'll have something good to laugh at afterwards, if it does go wrong.

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread Information