W&P update from Stoneleigh:

tyler

I think what is on the web site is a carry over from Rex's organisation still. Obviously I could be totally wrong - but to me it's the only way it makes any sense when tied to the whole of the CMV article.

TBH - I think I will still have someone walking in front of the OT when it's moving, maybe not in a hi-viz but certainly directing the over-zealous MOP's away from moving tracks and sharp edges.

Neil

We the friends of the tank museum will be guiding our stuff with Hi vis on if the new owner don't like it then we will not display just remain static, we cannot take any chances.

Al

Here is an idea, why dont we ALL park our vehicles OUTSIDE the show ground and then we will be able to come and go as we please and the public will be able to see OUR exhibits for free, so the issue of people paying to see ant empty field goes away......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really cant see how anyone can stop you visiting the "dentist or doctor" if needed between 08.00 and 18.30 :angel::angel:

Sir, you are a bad man.

Neil

We the friends of the tank museum will be guiding our stuff with Hi vis on if the new owner don't like it then we will not display just remain static, we cannot take any chances.

Al

That's a fair comment mate. I said what I did because - literally - I have no idea where the OT will be based this year in relation to the arena whereas I think you guys have a more or less permanent base beside the arena.

One of the other plans for the new format show is the Living History area is going to be arranged in time zone order, starting with WW1 then working up to the Cold War. As my lot are usually there as 1980's Soviet Afghanistan or 1990's Chechnya. I am guessing - literally again right now that - from the arena exit we will have the WW1 guys and then Living History will process chronologically from there clockwise around the camera car track. If you take where you guys are normally based beside the arena as teh12 o'clock position then in past years we have been around at the 3 o'clock point - which when permitted allowed us to use the bottom gate into the arena beside the armourers container. I have a feeling, nothing more, that this year we may be right around in the 5 o'clock position. If so then we WILL be using hi-viz, no matter what, as our exposure to MOP's dictates this is so. Forward view from a BMP-1 class is not bad but side and rearwards is non-existent.

The only caveat I can see to this is if the camera car track is securely fenced off all the way around and with crossing points that are manned by authorised personnel to stop MOP's crossing when vehicles approach. If this is the case then I will talk with my crew and we will make an informed decision at that point. This is something that will not be known till much closer to the date.

I want to give the new owner the benefit of the doubt and not cause him problems so until it is shown to me, on site or otherwise, what the proposed arrangements are I cannot definitely say I will do this or I won't do that. He may have plans afoot to make such movements safe. All we have right now are the broad brush stroke outlines of his plans. Remember too that it is his first MV show - as others have said before me, there is a BIG difference between a show like W&P where the exhibits can move as much as the people looking at them and a trade show where people look at fixed position stands. He has to learn - or perhaps relearn - all that Rex and his people did over all the years of running W&P. In turn we have to learn his ways- and in the middle is the happy compromise. :-)

In all honesty the comment that worried me most was regarding the shows future location - this is the last year at Folkestone I believe and when asked about the future location in the article the reply was:

"Let us just say before moving swiftly on that a return to the Hop Farm is, at this time, overwhelmingly unlikely at best. The search for a suitable location continues and isn't restricted by county borders"

Edited by ArtistsRifles

This is no way intended as a criticism of peoples practices but hi-viz is not some panacea for all situations. The point of it is so that the people wearing it can be seen by the operator of the machine. Its use is now so widespread that in many situations, particularly as far as the public is concerned, it is almost ignored.

Having a walker in front as a guide to the driver in an enclosed area is very wise. Having one for general movement does not make a great deal of difference to what is happening to the side or behind. The public would take more notice if the walker was naked.......

This is no way intended as a criticism of peoples practices but hi-viz is not some panacea for all situations. The point of it is so that the people wearing it can be seen by the operator of the machine. Its use is now so widespread that in many situations, particularly as far as the public is concerned, it is almost ignored.

Having a walker in front as a guide to the driver in an enclosed area is very wise. Having one for general movement does not make a great deal of difference to what is happening to the side or behind. The public would take more notice if the walker was naked.......

I agree, and we have seen plenty of incidences where the walker was so far ahead of the vehicle as to be an irrelevance, with people and vehicles passing between the two. Similarly we saw occasions where the tracked vehicle had stopped for whatever reason and the walker was paying so little attention to their task they carried on for some distance before even noticing. There is no point requiring a ground walker unless guidance is given as to good practise. Poor practise just shows itself up as being mere lip service to H&S. It is pointless to do something just so you can be seen to be doing it if it has no function or is inadequate.

As I have said before on HMVF, the visibility out of a CVRT with the seat up is better than many vans and trucks and I will happily drive one on the road on my own. On the other hand there are plenty of big trucks, Stalwarts etc. where the visibility is poor. Generalising the requirement to tracked vehicles is misguiding - it should apply to vehicles with poor visibility - thus it becomes the operator's decision. Clearly the show marshalls should have input too if they deem it appropriate! Ultimately safe operation is solely the driver's responsibility. It is perfectly acceptable to rely on a ground guide or a commander but if you hit something or squash someone you will be the one in the dock, not the helper.

The road traffic act still applies even on a rally field.

- MG

The police would certainly pay more attention - to the detriment of the walker I suspect :-) :-)