W&P update from Stoneleigh:

tyler

So I went to stoneleigh and spoke to the W&P organisers.

No one can leave the site at all on Saturday as public on site till midnight.

You can only leave after 6am+ Sunday.

Where all those vehicles camped parallel to the main road (marked black on map) will be moved to Kitcheners field, as that area will be for public car park. No extra toilets or showers in Kitcheners field to cope with the increase.

Each booking will get a 10x10 pitch and be checked on saturday to see if exhibits still there.

Exhibits will enter using same gate as 2015 and public will use same road a few meters down the road.

No arrivals/access to site after 8am any day.

Also for those wishing to drive to the stalls the only parking for MVs is the one near the living history/food court.

12647087_431836987020249_1043525382134006004_n.jpg

The problem might arise when you have to travel with 2 or 3 trucks 120 miles to arrive by 8am (Dartford crossing operation stack or road works ) And no time for breakfast . if you arrive at 9am wot happens then . We always have breakfast at the air port café for the 4 days we are their & evening meals . It may be very congested on the A2 if we are let out at all ???? This might deter us from going with the trucks. We may still go on a day trip . T CORBIN

So I went to stoneleigh and spoke to the W&P organisers.

No one can leave the site at all on Saturday as public on site till midnight.

You can only leave after 6am+ Sunday.

Where all those vehicles camped parallel to the main road (marked black on map) will be moved to Kitcheners field, as that area will be for public car park. No extra toilets or showers in Kitcheners field to cope with the increase.

Each booking will get a 10x10 pitch and be checked on saturday to see if exhibits still there.

Exhibits will enter using same gate as 2015 and public will use same road a few meters down the road.

No arrivals/access to site after 8am any day.

Also for those wishing to drive to the stalls the only parking for MVs is the one near the living history/food court.

All seems a bit draconian. Whilst I understand the need to keep as many vehicles on site for the Saturday, preventing folk from leaving must count as false imprisonment, whether you've signed an agreement or not. I thought ending the show on Saturday evening was a good way to help. If you have to go, you have to go? Two years ago at Folkstone the weather had destroyed a large amount of tentage, would you want to stay if that had happened to you?

10 x 10 pitch? Do you all have to book a pitch together as a group? Can one person reserve lots? Did the old system of marking out sensible sized area cause problems?

No access after 8am? I thought the new management wanted to encourage vehicle movements, not stop them altogether?

I totally dissagree with tracked armour moving without someone one on the ground, ideally in high vis, as folk are slightly more likely to take notice of DAYGLOW, compared to someone wearing camo at an MV show. Having seen a CET racing the wrong way around the one way track a couple of years ago, no guide, scattering all others from the track (jeeps, walkers, bikes, children!!), ignoring the rules, I strongly support someone walking in front in high vis. If for no other reason it keeps the speed down.

Jules

Some odd proposals there!! As regards nothing leaving or entering after 08:00 - what about vehicles doing shopping runs for food? If in Living History refrigerators are a difficult this to achieve so fresh food is usually got every other day - shop on site is ludicrously expensive. And fuel runs too - most vehicles run in single figure MPG's so runs with jerry cans or the actual vehicle to the filling station are essential. Are the organisers finally going to have a POL point on site??

I can - to an extent - understand the new owners thought on decamping early. They have said all along the emphasis is going tp be on entertaining the public and for sure there were a LOT of empty holes on the Sunday last year because of the weather. Hopefully the idea of running till Saturday and having Sunday as a pack up and go day will alleviate that need.

I don't agree with the no walkers part - tracked armour is dangerous. One thing that has stuck in my mind all these years is the words of my tracked instructor in the Army - he said "armoured vehicles are designed to kill - and they don't care who or how. So always treat them with the utmost respect". I am sure many here will have memories of exiting the old Beltring arena only to have the public try to run in front of the vehicle to get a photo.

If they are moving that entire lower block up into Kitchener's then the no extra toilets/showers is short sighted. Admittedly there were whole blocks last year that virtually went unused because Kitchener's was only about 25% utilised. I think that is a decision that will come back to bite them show time.

Space allocation - likewise. I hope Saracenstumps fears are unfounded and there will be no extra charges. The new owner is commercially minded though so anything is possible I guess. Do we know if the Twickenham Off-roaders will be running the field as usual - or the new guys people??

Also the arena - any news on the planned changes to there?? Are they introducing the much requested mobile seating for the public? And will there be extra entrances for those vehicles based the other side of the site from the usual main entry point?

Went to Stoneleigh listened to a friend talking to the organiser of W&P came away thinking I might have been a little unkind in my previous judgement of the show and we would probably be taking a few WW-2 vehicles, then the above threads -- ?????

So what now, moving tracked vehicles without marshalls, is that correct, any self respecting elf and safety wanna-be's will be rubbing their hands with glee along with the legal profession who'll be booking expensive holidays on the profits should anything go wrong. Besides moving tracked vehicles or any vehicle with restricted vision from where the driver sits is definitely not encouraged or practiced in the professional world so why at this show --!!!!!

Not being allowed off site/to leave on the Saturday is again one for

Went to Stoneleigh listened to a friend talking to the organiser of W&P came away thinking I might have been a little unkind in my previous judgement of the show and we would probably be taking a few WW-2 vehicles, then the above threads -- ?????

So what now, moving tracked vehicles without marshalls, is that correct, any self respecting elf and safety wanna-be's will be rubbing their hands with glee along with the legal profession who'll be booking expensive holidays on the profits should anything go wrong. Besides moving tracked vehicles or any vehicle with restricted vision from where the driver sits is definitely not encouraged or practiced in the professional world so why at this show --!!!!!

Not being allowed off site/to leave on the Saturday is again one for

Is there mix messages going around ! in the site rules that's is posted on there web page all tracked vehicles will be guided hi vis to be worn. The same conditions as when Rex was in charge or am I missing something.

Al

I think the 8.00 rule is going to be tricky... as pointed out folks can't guarantee they get there for that time (traffic, work, life...) so do they sit and wait until the evening to join the display (we are in living history) and we cater for about 15-20 people per day so need to go to the shops pretty much daily, doing a shop like that and being back by 8.00 is an early start...

Seems a bit draconian to me

I think the 8.00 rule is going to be tricky... as pointed out folks can't guarantee they get there for that time (traffic, work, life...) so do they sit and wait until the evening to join the display (we are in living history) and we cater for about 15-20 people per day so need to go to the shops pretty much daily, doing a shop like that and being back by 8.00 is an early start...

Seems a bit draconian to me

An early start will not help if the shops don't open until after 0800.

I do this as a hobby, …..

Your first 6 words on HMVF are quite possibly the most profound of the whole thread, and sum up the forum in a nutshell.

I suppose the bitter reality is that when putting on such a huge event it is probably easier to do it as a business / commercial operation rather than a hobby.

You have to admire those who do so just for the passion.

Edited by N.O.S.

Is there mix messages going around ! in the site rules that's is posted on there web page all tracked vehicles will be guided hi vis to be worn. The same conditions as when Rex was in charge or am I missing something.

Al

See page 24 of the Feb 2016 edition of CMV Al - the new owner states there - and I quote:

"People were saying they could not move their tanks without someone in front with a hi-viz vest. We're not having that. Health and safety is a guide, not a rule. As long as the paperwork is in order, you've done your job. The reason we've got these vehicles is to use them and you'll not get people to turn up if you cannot drive them around. I don't want people wandering around in hi-viz. If your driving a tank the responsibility is on you to make sure you don't run anyone over The problems we have aren't with the tank and big lorry owners. Its with the people going around in Landrovers at 40 mph. Lets get sensible. I want to see these vehicles driving around Beating Bovington each year for the amount of moving tanks at an event will suit me down to the ground."

Here is an idea, why dont we ALL park our vehicles OUTSIDE the show ground and then we will be able to come and go as we please and the public will be able to see OUR exhibits for free, so the issue of people paying to see ant empty field goes away......:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really cant see how anyone can stop you visiting the "dentist or doctor" if needed between 08.00 and 18.30 :angel::angel:

See page 24 of the Feb 2016 edition of CMV Al - the new owner states there - and I quote:

"People were saying they could not move their tanks without someone in front with a hi-viz vest. We're not having that. Health and safety is a guide, not a rule. As long as the paperwork is in order, you've done your job. The reason we've got these vehicles is to use them and you'll not get people to turn up if you cannot drive them around. I don't want people wandering around in hi-viz. If your driving a tank the responsibility is on you to make sure you don't run anyone over The problems we have aren't with the tank and big lorry owners. Its with the people going around in Landrovers at 40 mph. Lets get sensible. I want to see these vehicles driving around Beating Bovington each year for the amount of moving tanks at an event will suit me down to the ground."

Yes Neil but if you read the site rules on there web page it is total different to the statement that was in CMV.

Al

Yes Neil but if you read the site rules on there web page it is total different to the statement that was in CMV.

Al

I think what is on the web site is a carry over from Rex's organisation still. Obviously I could be totally wrong - but to me it's the only way it makes any sense when tied to the whole of the CMV article.

TBH - I think I will still have someone walking in front of the OT when it's moving, maybe not in a hi-viz but certainly directing the over-zealous MOP's away from moving tracks and sharp edges.

During my time in the Army we were never allowed to move an "A" vehicle without either a Commander or guide, and at one barracks they stop all tracked vehicles entering at the Main Gate and the Commander has to get out and walk in front of the vehicle and they wear Hi-Viz.

It's a matter of common sense and up to the driver what he feels comfortable with. If that includes a walker in hi-viz, too bad for the organisation. In the end it is the responsibility of the driver and if something happens you can't point at the organisation as an excuse. And if the organisation doesn't like that, the obvious solution is to leave the vehicle where it parked on arrival...

Edited by earlymb