Bedford MW Advance & Retard Pipe

44GPW

Question

Hi,

My A&R pipe worked loose and melted on the Manifold at the end of last season, so i need a replacement. I have found the same thing on ebay for a classic Mini. My question is are these pretty much a standard fitting or do i need to find a specific one?

Also, for my knowledge....what does it actually do?

Thanks

Richard

6 answers to this question

Hi,

My A&R pipe worked loose and melted on the Manifold at the end of last season, so i need a replacement. I have found the same thing on ebay for a classic Mini. My question is are these pretty much a standard fitting or do i need to find a specific one?

Also, for my knowledge....what does it actually do?

Thanks

Richard

There is nothing clever about the pipe other than its ability not to collapse when subject to a vacuum.

Vacuum advance was commonly used pre ECM days to give slightly more advance under light throttle use which would give better economy and driveability, as soon as the throttle is fully opened the manifold vacuum drops and the spark timing reverts to the standard setting controlled by the bob weights.

Richard, originally they were a small brass tube, certainly on the Humber and Morris it is brass, but they were soldered fittings at each end, probably not easy to find these days ........

Jules

later on the mini morris 1000 etc where fitted with nylon 1/8 tube simply pushed into rubber tube. I know not original but would get you up and running to be honest I would not have thought brass tube would have melted on manifold

Edited by cosrec