1980 Sotherbys Military vehicle sale catalogue

FRAFM

I am tracing the history of the RAF Museum's K2 Ambulance. I believe it was bought by the museum at the Southeby King and Chasemore Auction at the Warnham War Museum on the 25th April 1980.

Sotherby catalogue.jpg

Does anyone have a copy of the original catalogue from which they could scan the entry for the K2? For some reason any information that came with the vehicle in 1980 has been lost and we are now trying to fill in as much history of the vehicle as we can.

We contacted Sotheby's but they no longer keep back copies of their catalogues, they are actually archived by the V&A museum. Unfortunately as this sale was through a subsidiary it has not been archived with the main Sothebys catalogues.

Thanks

Ian C

• 2 weeks later...
I am tracing the history of the RAF Museum's K2 Ambulance. I believe it was bought by the museum at the Southeby King and Chasemore Auction at the Warnham War Museum on the 25th April 1980.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112609[/ATTACH]

Does anyone have a copy of the original catalogue from which they could scan the entry for the K2? For some reason any information that came with the vehicle in 1980 has been lost and we are now trying to fill in as much history of the vehicle as we can.

We contacted Sotheby's but they no longer keep back copies of their catalogues, they are actually archived by the V&A museum. Unfortunately as this sale was through a subsidiary it has not been archived with the main Sothebys catalogues.

Thanks

Ian C

Found a copy, but apparently the vehicle in the photo isn't the vehicle in the sale.

<a href=Sotheby%20003.jpg' alt='Sotheby%20003.jp

The K2 AMBULANCE in the WARNHAM museum had the civilian registration number of FUF 48

According to the K2 ambulance register, FUF48 belonged later to Rodney Rushton and now belongs to an owner from London area whom I know. This does not appear to be the one that Ian is enquiring about, unless there is an error in the register.

Edited by Richard Farrant

I think this could mean that FUF48 was not in the auction as a note in the catalogue mentions the photo not being the vehicle being sold.

This auction sale of April 1980 was a collective sale, I entered a couple of vehicles to sell, It was Not the later Warnham war museum closing down sale held to sell off the exhibits , so probably it was another K2 ambulance sold, not the then museum exhibit K2 FUF48 which may have been on loan, not necesarily owned by Warnham museum

Edited by Nick Johns

We have now re-registered the K2 as XBV 445 from the beginning of this month. Now it is road legal the Museum is able to run it around the car park and hopefully at some external events in the future. We are planning to take it to the City of London for the annual "Cart marking" ceremony in the summer. We displayed the Museum's Ford Model T tender and it's Crossley tender there in the last 3 years. The Sotheby's catalogue entry says it was used on Rochester airfield prior to it's sale. After we completed the registration process we were given a photo of what we believe may be it with a registration number of 3263D or 3283D - the photo is small and the number isn't that clear. However such a number would be consistent with being registered in Kent in summer 1964. Has anyone any recollections of seeing it at Rochester?