Suitable batteries for a Champ

Hi all,

I really need to get started on the Champ. First job, get the engine running. The user handbook just states '38AH' batteries. Would I be better looking for something with a bit more heft, or a specific CCA? I know that I had 068 batteries - 70AH - in my Land Rover which had a smaller engine than the B40 in the Champ. Any advice or recommendation gratefully received.

Cheers

Rob

69BE99

Basically, whatever fits in the battery boxes will do; unless you have a working radio setup installed, all the batteries need to do is crank over the engine and the B series are easy to start. If you want to spend more for higher capacity batteries, go for it :)

My Saracen and Ferret both have no radios but have a pair of 1100 CCA batteries...

Cheers,

Terry

Hi all,

I really need to get started on the Champ. First job, get the engine running. The user handbook just states '38AH' batteries. Would I be better looking for something with a bit more heft, or a specific CCA?

Cheers

Rob

69BE99

The figure of 38Ah is irrelevant now. It refers to the storage capacity of a particular dimension battery in 1950 and modern technology and manufacture has more than doubled that.

Your purchasing choice really depends on what your battery securing arrangements are, If you have the original cargo version carriers, the nearest modern battery type is 072 which just need a half inch or so of wood packing inside the clamps for a snug fit. If you also have the original style steel battery tray, they will fit into the spaces. If you don't have the orginal type fittings then the physical size isn't so critical.

Type 072 are usually about 70Ah these days so more than ample for a Champ. CCA figures are not too important either since when in a 24v arrangement, the starting current is about half of the 12v case.

Andy 58 BE 88

Edited by 58 BE 88
Crap spelling/

• 2 weeks later...