Ferret fuel pump rebuild kit source

njjeeper

So the ferret moves on its own!! More on that later. In the course of running it tonight I found the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt. Does anyone have a source for a rebuild kit for these? Seems like 2 reed valves and 2 rubber diaphragms. Any tips would be much appreciated!

What's wrong with it? I had one pump that barely pumped after the Ferret had sat for years. From the excess free play in the priming lever, I could tell the plunger was sticking. It eventually freed itself up.

Another common problem is rusty sludge plugging the fuel outlet at the bottom of the tank and the tubing just downstream of that.

If the pump is just leaking, none of the above applies!

Malcolm

The main diaphragm can be made using one from a 2286cc Series 2 or 3 Land Rover, once you remove its centre spindle. The diaphragm matches up in diameter & with the required holes. For the compensating diaphragm I just used a piece cut from an old door seal of an autoclave.

I got the pump working but the diaphragm looks real bad so I am going to replace it. The pump didnt work becuase the one way valves in the pump head were stuck shut. I cleaned it all up and put it back together and its working.

The main diaphragm seems to be delamintated into several layers with the bottom most one being sticky and disintegrating. So, a rebuild is in order!

There are some nice Land Rover parts folks up at Rovers North in Westford, Vermont.

They will have the kits that you can use for a rebuild. They might be a touch expensive compared to the UK suppliers but it will be next day delivery for you.

If you have any problems their tech guru is Les Parker, a fine unflappable northern ex pat Brit.

Regards

Robin