More bits from my late father's collection for ID and valuation

g0ozs

I know what this is but not sure how old - I can see a non-moving BiN listing on e-Bay for these at £184 - but I guess a fair price is rather less ?

Has anyone a link to the user guide ?

sun-compass-lid.jpg

I will be starting on some magnetic compasses and navigation and surveying kit in due course

@ Moderators - I am open to offers for the items I will be posting here, before resorting to e-Bay - so please transfer this to the approopriate for sale topic if you feel it is better that way .

Iain

sun-compass-2.jpg

Iain that's a very comprehensive overview of its operation.

I won't quote from it for fear of copyright infringement. But some sentences would on the face it seem probably to perhaps maybe identical to some of the instructions in AC No.70947 :-X

1990 is good time line for the Mk 3. I have COSA W10 1986 that only lists Mk 2. In the 1993 edition it lists Mk 2 & Mk 3.

Now starting on the survey kit (my father was with the Directorate of Overseas Survey in Oman and Aden 1956-1958 and with a petroleum survey company in Iraq 1958-1961).

A Brunton Compass / Clinometer by Stanely of London - no dating marks that I can see but could be anytime last hundred years. Does anyone know when they stopped being made ?

stanley-8.jpg

An unknown military compass - the velcro pouch suggests post 1970s - is the yellow label Hebrew - it doesnt look like Arabic to me - can anyone read it ? The luminous rods are still quite bright so I must try a geiger counter near it !

mil-compass-top-flash.jpg

I dont think this specimen is military given the style of the box and manual - a sightmaster compass by Sisteco of Finland. The manual says the luminous dial has a 15 year life (Tritium Beta Light?) and it isnt working now so it is late 20th century I think. Was there a military version ?

sightmaster-manual.jpg

stanley-1.jpg

stanley-2.jpg

stanley-3.jpg

stanley-4.jpg

stanley-5.jpg

stanley-6.jpg

mil-compass.jpg

mil-compass-1.jpg

mil-compass-2.jpg

mil-compass-3.jpg

mil-compass-bag.jpg

mil-compass-bag1.jpg

mil-compass-bottom.jpg

mil-compass-label.jpg

sightmaster-box.jpg

sightmaster-compass.jpg

A Lawes, Rabjohns Ltd prismatic compass

lr-compass-top-flash.jpg

The dial on this one is locked solid - unscrewing the knurled knob at the 2 oclock position does nothing and the button at 4.30 position does not move willingly - does anyone on the forum have experience of these and if so can they tell me which is the dial lock and which way does it move ? This was as far as I know the one my father used in Iraq as the leather case has his usual mark and Lawes Rabjohn Ltd only traded as such between 1947 and 1962 so in the right time range. So I would like to repair it and keep it.

lr-compass-bottom-flash.jpg

Edited by g0ozs
typo

Kershaw Binoculars No 2 Mk III 1945 with graticule in right eye piece

kershaw-bino-rh-noflash.jpg

Looking through the graticule ...

kershaw-graticule.jpg

What was the graticule used for ?

kershaw-bino-1.jpg

kershaw-bino-2.jpg

kershaw-bino-3.jpg

kershaw-bino-4.jpg

kershaw-bino-lh-noflash.jpg

Edited by g0ozs
added graticule pic

Bausch & Lomb Binoculars with "REL Canada" leather case - no markings except maker's name "Bausch & Lomb Rochester NY" and "7x50" visble on binoculars themselves. They look similar to US Army M7 and US Navy Mk 28 but have no "M7" or "BuShips" stampings on the panels to which the eyepieces are attached. Are they military? (I am not sure, but my dad got most things from surplus catalogues if he could - I seem to remember it was Charles Frank and HW English for optics) and how old? (I remember looking at the moon through them in the 1970s and they were not new then). I'm guessing they were made early post war to the M7 design for the retail market ?

b-l-bino-1.jpg

b-l-bino-2.jpg

b-l-bino-case-flash.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

Interestingly the serial number has been defaced - I wonder why ?

b-l-serial.JPG

Edited by g0ozs
Typo in case marking

Chris

Thanks. I like the no.2 binos (they have enough eyepiece adjustment for my bad eyes which the B&L seem not to) and may well keep them. My dad carried the B&L ones in the REL case for as far back as I can remember when out on the hills behind our farm - certainly they have been together since before 1970 - but I can quite believe that he bought them separately as I know REL were a separate optics manufacturer and the B&L binoculars are not a perfect fit (too short and slightly too wide for the case)

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
my bad english ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been down to the barn tonight - here are the latest finds (no Larkspur harness cables yet, sorry to he who needs them)

1) Medals - can anyone read arabic and tell me what they are ? There are two the same

DSCN0489.jpg

2) Coin set (not military, but help reading still needed!)

DSCN0499.jpg

3) Set of reproduction soviet documents - what are they ?

DSCN0521.jpg

DSCN0487.jpg

DSCN0488.jpg

DSCN0498.jpg

DSCN0513.jpg

DSCN0514.jpg

DSCN0515.jpg

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0518.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0520.jpg

My Russian is not good (=awful), but that first document has KGB written on it. The other is some kind of registration document.

I don't know about being replicas, they look fairly genuine to me - flashy cheap leatherette-ish cover and cheap paper inside, de rigeur, comrade. Wifie had half a drawer full of such documents and plastic medal boxes which we chucked out, a common fate - I did not try to stop her as she remembered those times.

trevor

OK, so just done what I should have done first, ask wifie.

The KGB document looks for some deputy, but it is unused and could be real of fake. The other one is a Russian Communist party (KITCC) membership document, with his work history on page 19 while on another page is the validation stamps for each time his membership needed renewing - and this looks genuine.

trevor

Thanks Trevor - I found an e-bay listing (380984148194) for an identical KGB card even to the numbers with 125 sold to date, so I am sure it is one of many and therefore a reproduction.

The CPSU membership card has the handwritten parts in exactly the same ink as the parts that should have been preprinted so I am sure it is also mass produced.

Quite why my dad had them I am not sure - I am quite happy to donate them to someone who collects Soviet stuff if useful as part of a display.

Regards

Iain

Edited by g0ozs
typo

• 3 weeks later...