Panther tank at Axis Track Services

draganm

WOW, HOORAY, and all that :D Why can't it be April and S3 of combat dealers show, I would be perfectly happy to skip thru Jan, Feb, and March.

This doesn't look like a wreck but a complete Panther, any idea where it came from. I'm guessing France, national Mussee de blindes?

Bound for Australia, man those guys got quite the appetite for Armor

EDIT: FB says it came from Samur but was sold to AAAM by Cadman collection. No matter, I hope they really devote a lot of time to it on combat dealers.

Axis Track Panther project.jpg

Edited by draganm

Is it not the one Rex normally has at W&P?
Edit: no, that's a completely restored runner, = wrong

this was a 2nd Panther according to a Mr. Steve Cobb on the AAM FB page.

Can't find any images of it in storage though, only of a BergePanther that they presumably still have?

ok, quick search shows Steve to be Rex Cadman's main resto guy, did an M10 Achilles on " salvage squad"

Edited by draganm

yes it is the Cadman one, it originally came from france, hence no serial number except an AMX one from its rebuild.

From the list of surviving Panthers, the Cadmans only had one Panther and the Cadmans still have their Bergepanther

Edited by Niels v

no, that's a completely restored runner, this was a 2nd machine according to a Mr. Steve Cobb.

Can't find any images of it in storage though, only of a BergePanther that they presumably still have?

I've never seen a completely restored runner at the show?!

no, that's a completely restored runner, this was a 2nd machine according to a Mr. Steve Cobb.

ok, quick search shows Steve to be Rex Cadman's main resto guy, did an M10 Achilles on " salvage squad"

If you compare damage marks and paint scratches, you will see it is the Panther that has languished at War & Peace Shows for many years, a non runner, with damaged track gear as I recall.

oops, right you all are.:red:

I've never had a chance to visit the show and it never occurred to me that the machine at the show was dragged or craned into place every year.

Looks like according to Axis FB page that whatever paint was on it for the shows was over painted in those red stripes for Fury opening scene?

2 million is actually not a bad price except for what appears to be a missing engine.

Will the proceeds to be used to get the Bergepanther restored/ running?

Edited by draganm

did this one suffer a massive fire? You would think any war damaged Torsion bars would have been replaced during the rebuild in France by AMX.

The Panzers I've scene in pics that had large enough fires to anneal the Torsion bars were also practically sitting on the hull, with the suspension completely collapsed. This one looks like it's sagging but it was good enough to be wheeled on and off a trailer.

Maybe just normal settling and sagging from age versus fire damage?

We'll probably have to wait till the show starts to find out. With Bruce referring to his Jagdpanther project last season on many occasions, My guess is they're doing this Panther and the remaining Weald foundation Jagdpanther range target at the same time?

either that or someone drug another Jagdpanther out of a river or swamp.

Should be a good season, hope they have more episodes and longer episodes with more hands on technical talk and welding, wrench turning, etc.

We'll probably have to wait till the show starts to find out. With Bruce referring to his Jagdpanther project last season on many occasions, My guess is they're doing this Panther and the remaining Weald foundation Jagdpanther range target at the same time?

either that or someone drug another Jagdpanther out of a river or swamp.

Or, as it's a tv program, probably best not to assume anything in it is based too closely on fact!

Or, as it's a tv program, probably best not to assume anything in it is based too closely on fact!
awww now where's the fun in "facts"? ;)

I feel like Mr. Compton's been pretty reliable in terms of things he said he was going to do on the show and things actually happening.

The Sdkz 11 flak they bought is S2 is in the shop now, despite some internet speculation it was bogus.

So I fully expect to see a Jagdpanther trundling around by the end of Season 3 :D

That Flak 3-ton is absolutely real. Ofcourse Bruce knew what it was when he bought it, he told me about it long before that episode of CD aired and he was very excited he found it.

I hope to see some regular updates about the Panther on the ATS facebook too!

I never told anyone it was a runner

i have always said it was one of our collection that was the most viable to be a runner.

it leaves us with the berge left which even though it's in a far worse state compared to other vehicles on the to do list it's quite viable too.

She was hit on a firing range but has a few wartime wallops the most noticeable on the turret. The best hit goes straight through the hull through where the engine was and back out.

The torsion bars are broken not softened as we would push the wheels back down once offloaded.

Does anyone know if an HL230 has been sourced for this project, or do do we have to wait for start of season 3 to find out?

I never told anyone it was a runner
sorry for mucking that up :red:

The torsion bars are broken not softened as we would push the wheels back down once offloaded.
I'm amazed you guys went thru all that trouble

Are brand new new reproduction torsion bars available now from Germany ?

Edited by draganm

Re torsion bars

yes they can be made here and have been made for another panther

yes there is an engine as the one we took out years ago was completely smashed and nothing really salvageable

it's not a mammoth resto only in weight as most of her is still there.

She he is better in hull condition than a panzer four I did for saumur and a 38t hull which came from the same range which was virtually smashed in two by shellfire.

The panzer two I did had a miniature version of transmission that this one has which works extremely well it looks complicated because there are so many pieces but you just take your time and plod on and one day it's all done and you move onto the next vehicle.

Are there any chance of pictures?

I truly hope some of the Cadman collections jewels will be restored now.

Depends what you want pics of

i can send you plenty of pics of the pz4 I did for saumur. It was also published in a book. The panzer 2 I have photos from its days as a wreck from trun to when we delivered her to saumur.

I have many 38t photos but will have to check with Rex if I can show them same goes for the maybach

Depends what you want pics of

i can send you plenty of pics of the pz4 I did for saumur. It was also published in a book. The panzer 2 I have photos from its days as a wreck from trun to when we delivered her to saumur.

I have many 38t photos but will have to check with Rex if I can show them same goes for the maybach

At the mo my list for resto is as follows

coe gmc

aec acv 6x6

firefly

archer 17pdr

ram kangaroo

the earliest Sherman in private hands

and one very nice little number

It's not mate

i did the running gear about fifteen years ago and the final outer drives other than that it's been sat outside since.

Real shame.

I don't have a gun or a cradle or shield for it either. Easy enough to make but I need to get either drawings or measure bovvys one.

The gearbox is smashed too after the clutch exploded a common prob with the Detroit diesel set up.

the valentine I did was much much worse but got there on the end.

The gmc needs doing as it's in bits

firefly is done external hull and is ready for me to start making the stowage to fit

early Sherman is a total resto

aec totalled after a fire tore through her.

And the achilles needs sorting as she now has a vibration she didn't have before she was driven by someone else with no understanding of what a clutch is.