New tools

Tony B

Can I recommend to them that don't have. A vacum bleeder. Clarkes part CHT470. So much easier on the oldies than a pressure bleed as it fits on the wheel cylinder bleeds. Does need a small compressor to run it but so much easier on vehicles with internal thread master cylinder caps.

I'd always been told to use a pressure bleeder, as with older brake cylinders for example, pumping the pedal to bleed could damage the seals, I ignored this once, only to find that I had no pedal afterwards. When we stripped the cylinder down, we found why pumping ruins the seals. Inside the bore was a ridge of debris/muck, which marked the previous travel of the piston in normal use, when we had tried to bleed the cylinder pressing the pedal, the piston travelled much further, riding over this ridge and by doing so taking the lip of the seals :-(

So from then on, I've always used a pressure bleeder, and no disasters ever since, plus with a pressure bleeder you can bleed the system on your own. The last one I bought was less than a tenner. THe ones I've owned, can be supplied by air from the vehicle tyre.

True Simon I have a pressure bleed and wouldn't be without it. However on some of the older ones the master cylinder is a :argh: to get at. Aslo the cap has an internal thread. It is possible to modify a new cap to fit but if the access is restricted Vacum is a lot simpler. One problem on some WW2 vehicles is actually being able to keep up with the fluid into the master.

There was a case back in days of yore when a group of mechanics found a bottle of Cherry Brandy in a car in for service, they proceeded to drink it. Trouble is it was anti freeze. All ended up in hospital; and court. the ironic thing was Alcohol was part of the treatment. Moral of the tale. Always keep fluids in there own clearly marked containers.