Bedford QLT

ColinR

Anyone have any idea of the years that the Bedford QLT was manufactured? I've scoured the web and can't find anything on it (Not that I've found a huge amount on Bedford Ql's at all).

And whilst I have all you QL devotees attention....anyone have pics of the Bren AA set up in the back?

Thanks

From the information l have the QLT was built from 1941 to 1945 the first chassis arriving at the AUSTIN longbridge in 1941

factory for modifications extending the chassis frame at the rear and mounting the spare wheel below this extension

Wally,

Didn't Austin make the trooper body for the QLT as well?

I think there was 2 contracts, one in 42 and the other in 44. I will look the books out tonight.

As Wally Dugan said the were supplied to Austin motors as QLC to have the chassis extensions and spare wheel carrier fitted.

There was 2 main contractors who build the bodies with 2 types of construction. Small numbers of bodies were built by other manufactures.

Peter.

RICHARD I do not have that information to hand at the moment as I will have to find my copy of the wartime contract ledgers if AUSTIN did in deed supply the bodies it will say so and at what price as PETER says others will have supplied

Bodies

Hi Wally,

I thought that I recollected seeing the body contract plate on one, giving Austin as manufacturer. According to Bart's book on military Vauxhalls and Bedfords, Austin produced about 1,700 QLT conversions by the end of the war.

Bedford to Berlin book gives the following information.

Contract V4675 for 1,050 QLC for modification to trooper in July 41. delivered August 41 to August 42

Contract V4924 for 1,500. 500 in July 42 and 1000 in February 44.

some were reworked to offices bodies.

Peter.

Can any body confirm the following about trooper bodies?

The 2 main body manufactures were Austin and Marshals of Cambridge?

Did Carbodies Ltd and Normand also build trooper bodies?

Is there two types of construction, one with full metal frame and one built on wooden cross members like a G,S, body?

Were some trooper bodies built with out seats with tail gates and were some bodies built without the extended chassis with less seats? Any pictures to prove this?

Peter.

Thanks all.

I did pick up the bit about Austin doing the QLT conversions, but didn't know the years. I'm hoping to start work on the one I own and would really like to try and find out year of manufacture if possible, don't think I have the plate fitted to the side of the chassis though.

I'm assuming that no plans still exist for the QLT bodies, type of manufacturer and materials?

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone be able to help with details of the cargo bay area of the QLT? After Bren mount, seating and box/unit for actually standing on when doing the air sentry bit in particular.

Seating wise after type of covering and thickness of seat/material.

But really after as much detail as possible.

Many thanks