Munga talk...

Snapper

"muahhhhaaahaaahahaaaaa"!!! Its alive!!!!

bet you cant wait to thunder down the road next!!!

I've been smoking out the neighbour's today after fitting new condensers, and it even moved under its own steam ever since it developed a major misfire and died just as we got back from its M.O.T. only just made it onto the drive (have pushed it there once before when we first got it!!! took me and three willing victims to heave it to into position aching backs not withstanding, so today while the sun was out... the shot condensers were changed.... still the blinkin same.. blast!!!... quite literally backfire shook the windows in the house!!!

much scratching of heads later...

removed the coil cover checked leads, coils, removed/checked plugs all fine!!! refitted leads for another go and.... vrooommm.... turns out the coils were shorting out on the cover... another job fixed!!!

fitting number plates tomorrow..

then...

first test run on the Queens highway!!!!!

do they give fog around the kent area tomorrow!!!!! :wow::D

Tried to wake my Munga up from its slumbers, charged the batteries, put some juice in, starter motor whirring but not engaging - sticky solenoid? Took starter motor off, tried it on the bench, very intermittent operation of the solenoid, motor reluctant to spin if I apply volts direct to the solenoid output terminal.

Took the brush cover off, commutator grubby, one brush seems to have reached the end of its travel so not making a good contact on the commutator. Silly idea having the lead come out of the side of the brush, when the lead gets to the bottom of the slot in the brush-holder, that's it, no more travel even though the spring could push the brush down further!

Oh well, have to see if I can get another brush - probably have to buy a pair.

The ring-gear on the flywheel looks pretty chewed-up as well, but it has been cranking OK - fingers crossed!

John

Just had a look on Kemper's web-site, they don't seem to list starter-motor brushes - anybody got one spare?

Edited by Essex5
Later info.

Munga now drives!!!! first run out to get petrol with my nephew.... ran great all the way there apart from gearbox jumping out of first ... not worried about that .. just hold it in till second!!

but on the way back it developed a misfire.... fouled plug again!!! whilst checking all the ignition circuits... this happened!!!

IMAG0372.jpg

so now have to wait for three new coils to arrive from Germany!!!>:(:(

Sure did!!!!! ... my dad and nephew were standing either side of the bonnet (I had just popped indoors for the workshop manual)and both jumped nearly out of there skin!!!:red:

miraculously he "fallout" insulating tar like goop shot all over the engine bay, bonnet, wings and even on the roof but not a spot landed on them!!! before I popped in I was stooping right over the engine bay !!!!!!;)

No joy with starter-motor brushes from Matz or Kemper - found one a bit too big in my misc. spares, cut/sanded it down to size, motor back on - works a treat!

Started fine after about a year, moved it out of the cart-shed. It had to come out, a large beech tree fell through the roof and flattened one end just before Christmas, luckily the Munga and the Fergy were the other end, all that was flattened was a pile of logs and an almost-scrap Argocat.

Insurance company are promising to pay up, fortunately.

John

New coils fitted... and then yet another problem ... head gasket has given up the ghost!!!

so opportune moment to fit some helicoils to plug threads and skim the head flat!!!

been a few foreign objects floating around in the combustion chambers as well by the looks of it!!! :D

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0401.jpg

is that the munga towing the jeep!!! or vice versa !!!! looking good m8!!! as for the wiper motor.... I managed to get a brand new in original box one on e-bay Germany for £30 !!!!I still have the old original one I removed... still working but a bit noisy/ growly ... saying that the new one still sounds more Whirry than the other old one!!!

• 3 weeks later...

B-hols = getting some more done on the ole beast!!!

all one shade of green now:D!!!

and one new inner driveshaft gaiter fitted:)!!!!.... but one split during fitting!!!>:( so now the other side will have to wait till I order another:red:!!!!

still loads more to do!!!!:nut:

IMAG0582.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
hi,

nice type 8.Please let me know the chassis number for more information about the car.

Interest for the original hood-parts second hand???

hi i need original aerial bracket, NOT THE US one and the front guard that goes across from wing to wing ? pm me if you have anything ?