European BAN for assault weapons proposed - EVEN IF PERMANENTLY DEACTIVATED

Don't know if this has been mentioned on here yet but I'm sure it could affect a lot of us!

European BAN for assault weapons proposed

European commission has proposed new, harder guns laws. These would include:

-ban of any "assault weapons", that are classified in the B7 category.... AR, AK, FAL etc... EVEN IF PERMANENTLY DEACTIVATED

- selling and possession of alarm weapons regulated by a declaration of the owner

-ban of online sales of weapons, key parts of weapons and ammunition.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-6110_en.htm

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I wrote on the petition, in case anybody wants to follow with something similar.

'As a law-abiding citizen of Europe I have a classic military vehicle as a hobby. It has a replica weapon that cannot be fired. Why should my hobby suffer because politicians bring in hasty ill-thought out laws as a knee-jerk reaction to an atrocity. It is simply not a rational or workable response.'

The petition now has 140,108 respondents. They are asking for 9,892 more to reach the goal of 150k. IMHO if you don't vote you can't winge later. Cheers, Jeremy aka Mad Scientist

My bit for what its worth!

I owned a vintage WWII truck and I also own a fully deactivated M1 Carbine, dated 1943.

The weapon is harmless and cannot fire or be made to fire any munitions of any kind.

The weapon is owned purely for show and sits, chained in the cab.

To ban deactivated weapons held legally is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction.

Terrorists to not commit atrocities with deactivated weapons.

The only people who will be affected by this law will be legal abiding citizens who own completely harmless weapons.

I would suggest the EU concentrates its efforts clamping down on the illegal weapons trade, instead of making fast judgments on legally owned deactivated weapons.

When a terrorist attack involves the use of a deactivated weapon, then I will be prepared to listen to the arguments for banning deactivated weapons.

Until that time, please leave us law abiding citizens to enjoy what little freedom we have left!

When a terrorist attack involves the use of a deactivated weapon, then I will be prepared to listen to the arguments for banning deactivated weapons.

Mark you may have to!

If I understood this lady correctly she mentions deacts & the Paris attack at 1.30 then listen at 3.15, 3.59, 4.11. She seems to be saying that parts used in the attack were bought legally on the internet I think suggesting to modify deacts?

http://ec.europa.eu/avservices/video/player.cfm?sitelang=en&ref=I112437&videolang=EN&starttime=0&endtime=0&autostart=true

Unfortunately, there is a perception in Europe that automatic weapons deactivated to the standards applicable in some Eastern EU countries have been legally bought there, re-converted and used in Terrorist acts. Worse still is the idea that vast numbers are being 'de-activated' to these dubious standards forming a substantial pool waiting for the attention of the 'five-minute armourer'.

If this is true, then clearly something needs to be done about it....such as imposing British standards and proof-marking....but that's a bit too obvious.

Has there even been one single incident involving the use or a 'reactivated' firearm ? ... a robbery or a murder? .....I can't think of one because the weapons these terrorists have access to and are using are certainly not reactivated weapons . Ridiculous knee jerk indeed :(

PS: ...Is there any manner of registration for all of your deacts?..What I mean to say is .....obviously if such a law were passed you wouldn't be able to bring them out in public at shows anymore but ...whats to stop you keeping it at home and refusing to hand it in ?

There's already a thread on this in the weapons section, I'm on my tablet at the moment so can't easily copy the link.

The report to the European Commission apparently states that at least one of the weapons used in the Charlie Hebdo shootings was reactivated.

Andy

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

There's already a thread on this in the weapons section, I'm on my tablet at the moment so can't easily copy the link.

The report to the European Commission apparently states that at least one of the weapons used in the Charlie Hebdo shootings was reactivated.

Andy

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

It wasn't a UK deactivated weapon I would think as our standards are among the best in the world, some countries idea of deactivation are one spot weld easily removed. If people think this will not affect us you are all severely mistaken, once the ball starts rolling it will continue. What next, banning of military vehicles, re-enactment and things such as War and Peace ? We need to take this seriously, no one here should be against registration BUT if these legally held deactivated weapons are banned we all lose. Businesses will close, peoples collections reduced to scrap and our hobby as it is will never recover. Has anyone thought on the value of the vehicles plummeting ? Many people in this hobby do so to embrace the whole picture, without the arms part there is nothing to display but rows of green vehicles.

From the Telegraph in Feb 2015 in an article about Charlie Hebdo shootings :

The Slovakian police officers tracked the guns to a shop in the west of Slovakia, where records revealed they were sold legally, as “expand” (expansion) weapons. The sale of such arms is perfectly legal in Slovakia.

Expansion weapons are once live firearms that have been mechanically deactivated to fire blanks for use as props in movies, for historical re-enactments or private collections.

In Slovakia, such weapons – even the heaviest machine guns – can be sold to anyone over 18 who carries ID.

and

At least some of the weapons are thought to have passed via Belgium. Last month, a known arms dealer, Neetin Karasular, from the Belgian city of Charleroi, handed himself in to police after seeing Coulibaly’s face on television, and realising that he had sold him the weapons.

Karasular is reported to have “bought” the Mini Cooper belonging to Coulibaly’s wife Hayat Boumeddiene, but instead of paying Coulibaly in cash handed over 10 Kalashnikovs, 25 hand guns and 66lb (30kgs) of C4 explosives, according to Belgian newspaper La Nouvelle Gazette.

Pretty scary!

The so called 'Expansion Gun's' are basicaly live Weapons! All that has been done to these termed firearms is;

Two pins are fitted in the barrel, to create back pressure. Which will cycle the action!!!1

Remove those pins & you Really do have a Lethal Barrelled weapon!!!!!! TOTALY Unacceptable to the UKs deactivation standards!!!!! :shocked:

This is my statement sent to the website for the new EU Potential Rulings:

The UK has the tightest & most stringent Rules & standards on Deactivation. In the whole of the EU.

Penalising Collectors & Enthusiasts with this ill thought out bunch of proposals. Is wrong & discriminatory!

It will do NOTHING to prevent Armed Crime. Because Criminal ignore the law completely. And the ONLY People who will be affected by these potential rulings will be. The Law Abiding Shooter & Collector, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

The UK has currently, the most stringent standards on Deactivated Weapons in the EU! Banning these will do NOTHING to stop terrorists & armed Criminals.THOSE People ignore ALL Laws, & continue their activities unfettered! These proposals are unfair & discriminatory. Towards Law abiding Citizens, collectors & Enthusiasts. Who DO obey the Law, & are absolutely NO threat to society at all! A lot of Deactivated Weapons are worth many thousands of Pounds on their own. A LOT of collectors own hundereds of them. I wish to know how a Deactivated & rendered permenantly declassified as a Firearm. & basicly a lump of metal. Can harm any populace? How would you find the MILLIONS of Pounds required to compensate owners? How would you deal with the HUNDEREDs of Armoured Vehicle with deactivated Military weapons mounted in them? Our over stretched Police Force can barely cope with 'Normal' Crime in the UK! How can they be expected to enforce stupid, unfair & unworkable laws that only serve to penalise the Law abiding enthusiast? Have you stopped to think about how many businesses will be closed in this Field> All the manufacturers of accessories allied to Deactivated & shooting weapons. Many hundereds of thousands or People will be made redundant in the shooting & Collecting trade. WHO is going to pay unemployment allowances to all these people. Most of whom will never work again!!! These proposals are ILL THOUGHT OUT Knee jerk reaction. With NO thought of the impact it will have on the Law Abiding! Criminals ignore the Law! All this will serve to do. Is penalise the Law abiding & have NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER ON THE CRIMINAL FRATERNTIY!....

Edited by ferretfixer

My comments added to the petition.

I own vintage WWII vehicles that I have spent years restoring and in order that they appear as they would have, I have fitted them with the relevant deactivated armament. I subsequently own a number of such deactivated WWII weapons and they are of great historical value.

These deactivated weapons are harmless and cannot fire munitions of any kind. I have an extensive military background and I am subsequently well aware of the care I have to take when both procuring and owning such items. I purchased the deactivated WWII weapons I own legally and subsequently have the right of ownership.

To ban deactivated weapons held legally is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction by bureaucrats who simply wish to be seen to be doing something. Banning these items will not prevent terrorist attacks/activities. In 1997 the British Government banned the private ownership of handguns, this did absolutely nothing to deter criminals/terrorists, who can easily obtain active firearms illegally. Banning deactivated weapons will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the ability of criminal and terrorist to be able to obtain such weapons.

The only people who will be affected by this law will once again be law abiding citizens who own completely harmless weapons.

I would suggest the EU concentrates its efforts clamping down on the illegal weapons trade, instead of making fast judgments on legally owned deactivated weapons.

In addition, should such a ban be enacted, whether it be across the board or on pre-1995 deactivation's as has been suggested, we would expect and be entitled to receive compensation at market value for the items that we may be required to surrender. This would not only result in a very significant bill to the tax payers of Europe, but it would result in the closure of many businesses who deal in such items. Many people would lose their livelihood. They too would be entitled to compensation for the stocks that they hold.

My comments added to the petition.

I own vintage WWII vehicles that I have spent years restoring and in order that they appear as they would have, I have fitted them with the relevant deactivated armament. I subsequently own a number of such deactivated WWII weapons and they are of great historical value.

These deactivated weapons are harmless and cannot fire munitions of any kind. I have an extensive military background and I am subsequently well aware of the care I have to take when both procuring and owning such items. I purchased the deactivated WWII weapons I own legally and subsequently have the right of ownership.

To ban deactivated weapons held legally is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction by bureaucrats who simply wish to be seen to be doing something. Banning these items will not prevent terrorist attacks/activities. In 1997 the British Government banned the private ownership of handguns, this did absolutely nothing to deter criminals/terrorists, who can easily obtain active firearms illegally. Banning deactivated weapons will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the ability of criminal and terrorist to be able to obtain such weapons.

The only people who will be affected by this law will once again be law abiding citizens who own completely harmless weapons.

In addition, should such a ban be enacted, whether it be across the board or on pre-1995 deactivation's as has been suggested, we would expect and be entitled to receive compensation at market value for the items that we may be required to surrender. This would not only result in a very significant bill to the tax payers of Europe, but it would result in the closure of many businesses who deal in such items. Many people would lose their livelihood. They too would be entitled to compensation for the stocks that they hold.

Well said and virtually word for word what I said on the petition too. Laws only work IF people are prepared to obey them terrorists live outside the law. It is already illegal to bomb and shoot people it didn't and won't stop them. Crack down on the lawless NOT the law abiding.

Big Dog. You have stated here, almost word perfect, what I have posted on the EU Proposal Commision website page!

Make NO Mistake People! If this goes through, it WILL definitely affect ALL of us, Wether you collect Deactivated Weapons or not!!!!!!

The Bottom will drop out of the Mil Vehicle market, as nearly all of us have Deacts to fit in our vehciles!

PLEASE!!!!! ALL of YOU sign the petition against these UNFAIR & DISCRIMINATORY Proposals against Law Abiding Collectors & enthusiasts.

It will cost you NOTHING to do this, & could just make the difference we all need!

make NO MISTAKE! This will ripple across the Militaria field of collecting, with Disasterous results, if not amended/ rejected!

If you have an item of Military interest in whatever form you own. then you NEED to sign this petition!

Handgun Crime figures have risen since the Ban on Handguns. Something we told the Government at the time, they ignored the warning! What a surprise!

I SCREAM at my TV when the news comes on a states an Armed hold up with a Handgun was executed!

'Your Lying!!!!! It could POSSIBLY have Happened!...Because YOU have banned handguns'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (All done in a VERY Angry & Pasionate Tone!!!) :mad:

This is a typical Ill thought out discriminatory set of unworkable proposed legislation. that will ONLY serve to penalise US.

And have no effect whatsoever on Criminals! Why?... because Criminals ignore the Law!!!!!!!

I agree with the above, however there still seems to be total apathy towards this from some sections of our hobby, many choosing to state outright on Facebook and other social media sites that this will NOT happen and if it did will not AFFECT us :mad: Well unless we get our act together and protest to the highest level it WILL. The legal handgun owners all thought the same and look where it got them. Our hobby will be affected and it will mean many peoples investments become worthless. If people bought their stuff in the 60's they may not be too worried but those with recent purchases will see a drop in value alarmingly. The law BREAKERS will continue regardless and WE will be made to suffer. The whole idea that you can stop gun crime by making deactivated guns illegal is bordering on insanity, it is just a knee jerk ill thought out law that will not stop one terrorist but will decimate the hobby we all love. The handgun law made criminals out of the law abiding, destroyed their well regulated hobby, cost millions to implement and achieved NOTHING. There are more handguns out there than there ever was with lax open borders solely to blame. A government that has lost control of the lawless always picks on the law abiding it is so much easier isn't it ?

Signing the petition is all very well, but who says the EU will take any notice of it? I've pointed both my MP and MEP at the proposed legislation, explaining why it's a pointless, expensive knee-jerk reaction.

Andy

NOT signing the petition because you think the EU will take no notice of it is misguided and ridiculous. Write to MP's and MEP's as well by all means but a single voice as opposed to tens of thousands has less chance of success. This is not going away, people with the attitude of "they won't listen" are those who sit back, refuse to sign petitions and then complain when the politicians ruin their hobby. In answer to Tony B yes Airsoft are included in the proposed legislations.

It WONT cost you anything to sign it. It WILL affect ALL of Us if it goes through unmodified. And it COULD affect the outcome of the Hobby we ALL Love!

So PLEASE, will you get as many People as you can, to ALL sign this petition! It cant hurt, can it? But it could very well

Keep a large part of our Hobby intact!................

Mlitary vehicles have 'Military Style weapons' in them. So they TOO, will be banned!! Do YOU want to surrender YOUR Tank's Etc?...................:mad: