Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 02 CC 90 Daimler Ferret

Default Re: 02 CC 90 Daimler Ferret

Well, we got into another project last night for a while and did not have a full night on the Ferret.

We hummed and hawed over the seal issue last night for the whole time we had so made no physical progress on the job.

Our decision has been this. The seal we removed had a very thick single lip and the seal was very old and hard. We have spoken with some tech folks here and we have taken into consideration the considerable knowledge that Richard has shed on the subject and formed our conclusion and direction.

The seal we are using is double lipped and is of a modern design with a good spring support ring.

We are going to continue as is and know and understand what Richard has said and we will feel rightly stupid if this all goes pear shaped and we have a leak down the line and have to pull it all out and have have a washer made to fit the seal we used.

So a decision means next week we can get this job going back together.

I have cages for the rear armour nuts to source asap as we will be repair those when the pack goes back in as well.

More next week, and our considerable thanks to Richard Farrant for his input.

Regards

Robn

2. Advertisement

We have had an od last couple of weeks and time has not been available as hoped.

We have a dry erase board with a big list of tasks to be done allied to the fluid flywheel part of the project in as much as once it gets moving then it needs to be a proven unit after really no use for many years since coming to the collection.

So we are back to basics proving systems and the like and as per instructions making it smart and functional.

We are still waiting for the fitting to be able to pressurise the fluid flywheel and hold pressure as per the manual.

So, all the universal joints were checked and the splined joints checked and no excessive play there. we will grease later.

next the bevel boxes and their pesky breathers, such a small item, such a big consequence. We pulled all four and proved them, well nearly, the front right, predictably as it is the hardest to get at, was locked solid. It is now sitting in a special liquid. The others have been cleaned and put back in.

The master cylinder seems ok, the brake lines themselves are good and the wheel cylinders will be next once we have some caps as we dont want the system to drain out if we have to remove the cylinders.

We are missing some hull inspection plates and we are going to have some made unless anyone can point us to a supply of them.

The rear vertical armour was very iffy and less than perfect as far as bolts holding it on and vacant holes dont impress. So we removed some mangled caged nuts and I have new ones coming in and they will get welded on.

The brake flex lines (outside the hull) are just about done, so new ones are being ordered.

The whole series of linkages for the throttle we freed up to the point of being smooth as silk now.

The rear drums are off and the hubs draining. New oil for there.

The interior is getting cleaner slowly.

All good progress.

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ferret caged nut 2.jpg  

Ferret bevel box breather.jpg  

Ferret hull plate.jpg  

Yesterday I stick welded in the new cage nuts, a better design and I am happy with the items sourced. If critical we could remove them down the line and weld in exact copies if they were available.

I used a stainless to mild steel electrode in case there was a high carbon issue, weld flowed nicely.

Happy camper.

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cage nut new.jpg  

Cage nut old.jpg  

Robin,

Are the four little tabs on your new cage nuts actually part of the nut itself or is the cage in two pieces with the nut trapped between ? If the former you probably need to be quite precise in fitting it but the end result will be much stronger. Definately worth greasing the bolts when you reassemble it all.

I do like your SOP of photocopying any pages of the manual and only the copies are allowed in the workshop.

David

Dear David,

Good question you ask. The new cage is made in two pieces and the four tabs hold the centre portion in place. There is a rim around the new piece that I grind off to make the bottom flush.

This is what makes the original design weak as the sides can bend outwards if enough pressure is put on a spanner / wrench. The downfall of the original fasteners is that they get liberally hosed with paint and gum up badly.

The opening on the underside is generous and I ensured that the new item was centred in the opening and that the nut has plenty of slop to allow for the tolerances needed. It drives me potty seeing fasteners missing and a vehicle looking incomplete.

I will use something on the threads before we go back together.

Robin

Here is an image of the top and underside of the cages, hope it helps.

Also I just had some access plates made locally on a CNC plasma table. Here are the raw pieces before cleaning up and assembly.

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cage nuts new.jpg  

Ferret hull access plate repro 2.jpg  

Ferret hull access plates making.jpg  

Ferret hull access plate repro.jpg  

Nice job. Good to see im not the only one forced to fabricate parts for ferrets.

OZITIM

Tim,

I think there is a point to which hunting for parts and shipping them becomes ridiculous and overly expensive for no reason.

I will however say that as a precaution to an over enthusiastic future owner down the road a few years hence I will be stamping the hull plates with "repro" and the year made. I am a little fussy about that.

What have you had to make?

Robin

Hi Robin

The practice of marking repro parts is laudable, and one practiced by museums such as the Simthsonian Air and Space as a guide to future restorers. But your (others) practice of recording the restoration process with photos which is and will be of equal value to the next owner or next restore of the vehicle. The documentation of what the rusty missing part that has been reproduced is valuable as well.

keep up the great work.

Cheers Phil

So, on Wednesday with a newly made plug by our demon machinist locally we went about pressure testing the fluid flywheel as per the manual, which if my grey memory serves me right as 40 psi for 15 minutes.

We really feel that the modern dynamic seals have come along way from the 1950 and the back up washer is overkill nowadays, as I have said before, time will be the test.

I am delighted to say that all went well and we are thoroughly satisfied with the parts installed.

We have since filled the unit and mated the gearbox up to the engine again and intend to run up the engine next week in the shop before putting the powerpack back in. We suspect some carb issues may arise and want to deal with them at that point.

We have completed our end user agreement paperwork so we can buy some of the consumables for the project, yes, Ferrets are such dangerous machines and my signature on a piece of paper ensures that I am a good boy. Dont you just love governments.

In and exciting parallel activity, we are forging ahead with the design for our B series spin on oil filter adapter, our engineering boffin has come up with some design notes and now it is down to making a drawing and talking with the machinist. There is also a fuel filter project along the same lines happening.

Forward progress.

Robin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ferret test plug 3.jpg  

Ferret test plug 2.jpg  

Ferret test plug 1.jpg  

Ferret pressure test.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information