Big scrapyard in the sky

Dougy FV432

Question

Hello All,

After a recent event at Ashdown Camp Evesham, where they had a "table top sale". I found myself having not sold much of my collection of "Tat" that I no longer need to hoard. Now I'm not saying that it was all "rare" stuff, but it was stuff that I admit some of it is old and I have no idea what it is. But my main reason for starting this thread is....

At what point do we chuck it all in a box and take it to the scrapyard and weight it in. Also as I have some cables and radio control boxes that some are beyond help, what do we do with them, are there people out there that would be better to dispose them with?

Now I always cringe when I hear that someone scrapped something, as I fear that one day someone will be desperate for that item. But I think some of the above mentioned "tat" is only fit for the scrappers. The stuff that I think may be of use to someone I will post on here and see if anyone is interested or can identify if it is worth saving, other than that, it's of to the big scrapyard in the sky!

Dougy

The ‘boutique’ market for 'old' vehicle spares – military or otherwise – has contracted in this country. Several players have disappeared in recent years. Falling demand is a problem. Matching price with demand is a significant issue. And, as you point out, there is a continual loss of supply to the scrappy, or supply becomes so scattered as to be ‘unfindable’. This is my problem with 1911 Leyland spares! I know there are parts out there but can I find them?

My feeling is that enthusiast-cooperatives may be the answer. Aim – to acquire, store, and on-sell parts to cover costs, including the cost of warehousing. I ran a sporting club on this basis for years; and it survived! Robert

I suppose what I am trying to get to, is as already mentioned. There is the take pictures of all of the items that I feel could be of possible interest. Which I can share on here to help identify, either so that if no interest, I can go down the ebay route. Now straight away, it takes time to "log" everything and upload to here, which starts to mean it "owes" me more than it did. Ebay, lets admit it, it is a pain and expensive for both parties. Posting, postage and fees. The stuff can go on something like Milweb, but again costs and hangs around, basically I want the space so want to move it on sooner rather than later. As there is lots of metal involved, even though prices are not as good as they were, you can see why you hear horror stories of "dealers" scrapping/burning stuff just to get rid off!

Good side is that I have bothered to take some pics today that I will upload to see if any is worth saving.

Dougy

Now where shall we start...

How about a tub with headsets and pressels to give an idea what we're up against...

20151108_124840.jpg

Now a box tub of odd cables...

20151108_124703.jpg

With this box, I was so far down and was getting a bit fed up, so just took a pic of the lot, then realised there was a big cable that might be identifiable...

20151108_124747.jpg

A couple more to wet the appetite...

This is some type of old computer casing, no insides, but the proper bag for it.

20151108_130443.jpg

Now some boxes that I believe are US vehicle maybe a M48?

Only one a the moment, but there are several...

20151108_121343.jpg

Dougy

20151108_124735.jpg

20151108_130438.jpg

Edited by Dougy FV432

Dougy,

Can i buy that cabling from you as i am needing the copper coloured external braiding for the saracen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109688[/ATTACH]

Also the pinned socket looks like it might fit the wavell set that i am trying to find cabling for.

In short, tell the scrap man to sit on the pins and swivel !

NO! you can't buy them Dale, your welcome to them! I will put any braided cables to one side for you.

As for the big cable, I doubt it is any good for Wavell kit, as it says PPJ engine services on it, but again if you can make some use out of it.

Hope everyone is ready for some more identifying?

As mentioned before I have a pile of these...

20151101_162719.jpg

Was told they could be US tank intercom?

Next...

20151101_162648.jpg

20151101_162654.jpg

20151108_121256.jpg

Look like they have never been fitted, a couple have keypads. They also have a selection of what I can only describe as computer plugs, and possibly connectors for fibre optics?

Now I know what the boxes are, but I would be very interested to know vehicle these fitted...

20151108_125917.jpg

20151108_125929.jpg

20151108_125938.jpg

Looks like a slip in Clansman manpack fitment to a vehicle, but which one?

Dougy

The Kipling bag (which I think it is - someone may know for sure) usually goes for £15-£20 at shows or on e-Bay and the computer inside (even if gutted) I have never ever seen with it, so is probably worth preserving. I think the actual computer is one of the DVW Husky family which are now rare and collectable even in their civilian form. As a package the bag and computer are likely of interest to someone doing a SAS/SBS/SRR display/reenactment - I am really only interested in things I can repurpose for use on air on the amateur bands so would rather leave it to someone who can make use of it. As an old computer enthusiast a few more pics and in particular a pic of any labels would be of interest however!

Thanks

Iain

For those folks outside of the UK just seeing this stuff is mouthwatering and tear jerking at the same time.

You can not imagine how spoiled you folks are with that kind of kit being around you and at car boot sales etc.

Getting parts from the UK is problematic and expensive which is turning me into an MV hoarder of all things British related with an FV number on it.

Robin

This one i'm after Dougy,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109689[/ATTACH]

That's the one that Ian Evans was after recently on the 432 Forum - it's the FV430 PPJ engine services plug.

(And I might be interested in some of the other bits!)

Andy

That's the one that Ian Evans was after recently on the 432 Forum - it's the FV430 PPJ engine services plug.

Andy

Doh! Goes to show you shouldn't chuck anything away. Had missed the fact that it was 430 related (sorry Dale won't be able to let you cut up 430 bit for a Saracen!), had it in my mind that a 430 PPJ engine services was a lot smaller. Was thrown that it didn't come with anything 430 either.

The Kipling bag (which I think it is - someone may know for sure) usually goes for £15-£20 at shows or on e-Bay and the computer inside (even if gutted) I have never ever seen with it, so is probably worth preserving. I think the actual computer is one of the DVW Husky family which are now rare and collectable even in their civilian form. As a package the bag and computer are likely of interest to someone doing a SAS/SBS/SRR display/reenactment - I am really only interested in things I can repurpose for use on air on the amateur bands so would rather leave it to someone who can make use of it. As an old computer enthusiast a few more pics and in particular a pic of any labels would be of interest however!

Thanks

Iain

Thanks for the info Iain, I'm sure that this computer terminal thing has made an appearance on here and ebay in the past without any success in identifying it. Next time I go to my "storage facility" I will have a look to see if there are any numbers on it.

For those folks outside of the UK just seeing this stuff is mouthwatering and tear jerking at the same time.

You can not imagine how spoiled you folks are with that kind of kit being around you and at car boot sales etc.

Getting parts from the UK is problematic and expensive which is turning me into an MV hoarder of all things British related with an FV number on it.

Robin

A friend of mine recently sent some parts of to the US, nothing but hassle, and barely broke even on the deal after all the running around and costs. But you may be surprised how little actual useful stuff is around these days. It seems that a lot of the militaria sales of late just seem to be reproduction uniforms and weapons. Plus expensive to sell at, and ebay is worse. Very small amounts of actual vehicle spare parts to keep modern British Army vehicles going, unless your after Warrior or Challenger 2 bits. Now if you have a Jeep, I think everything is available!

Looks like i better come down there and visit you for a change ! and soon !

Your more than welcome down anytime Dale, but we may have to fight over the PPJ cable now, and there isn't that much other cables that you need to get excited about!

(And I might be interested in some of the other bits!)

Andy

What you after Andy?

Dougy

Amongst my pile of goodies that I was trying to sell at the sale were some early black fronted Clansman intercom boxes. As everyone seems to be interested in the later yellow fronted ANR ones, which are easy to find in "new" condition. These seem to be in all intense and purposes worthless?

Here are a couple of pics of the type of radio box that I refer too...

First a bit of an ugly looking drivers interconnecting box. But a couple of things to note are that it may never have been fitted, the canvas mount is in good condition, so with a bit of a clean may be useable, but for some reason someone has painted the green knobs yellow, why? My only guess is that it came with others similar, and some "modified" wiring, was it a trails for ANR?

20151108_121311.jpg

Here's another seemingly bashed about 12way box...

20151108_121320.jpg

But it has this written on it...

20151108_121324.jpg

"GKN" again was it for trials?

Now what do I do with a beat up 28v DCCU charger, may work if I could be bothered to test it, but is it worth the hassle?

20151108_121301.jpg

Again new ones available, and nobody really wants the 28v ones do they?

Then there is this box...

20151108_121329.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen a reference to a vehicle with an emergency crew control fitted let alone how it connects up.

While I'm on about painted yellow knobs of control boxes, why has this TUAAM been painted white?

20151108_121335.jpg

I have the ARAFATs that have the tops painted white aswell, was it to mark as unserviceable?

Finally, on the back of this bracket is a Clansman loud speaker amplifier, again good condition. But it's the bracket that might be of use to someone...

20151108_121337.jpg

It's the things like brackets that can make fitting out a vehicle ten times harder, sometimes you can make them, which I have in the past, but you can't beat the real thing! But what vehicle had a loud speaker amp mounted on a bracket like this. Again came with the other possible trials stuff, poss dating from the introduction of Clansman, aged vehicles.

Dougy

Edited by Dougy FV432

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109695[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109696[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109697[/ATTACH]

Looks like a slip in Clansman manpack fitment to a vehicle, but which one?

Dougy

At a guess as I can't see all the boxes, possibly the PRC320 kit for Position D in an FV432?

Andy

At a guess as I can't see all the boxes, possibly the PRC320 kit for Position D in an FV432?

Andy

It would be nice if it were a 320 fitment for a fv432, but I doubt it!

It has an DCCU and IBHA so looks manpack, but also an initiate box, so would suggest a 351/2.

Also it looks like it would slide/clip into an adjacent frame?

Dougy

It would be nice if it were a 320 fitment for a fv432, but I doubt it!

It has an DCCU and IBHA so looks manpack, but also an initiate box, so would suggest a 351/2.

Also it looks like it would slide/clip into an adjacent frame?

Dougy

A 352 in Position D, then. I think the radio carrier slots on to the end.

Andy

Tonight's pics are cable related, so here goes...

There's a few of these cables, a couple still sealed in their packet.

20151108_121435.jpg

20151108_121442.jpg

20151108_121445.jpg

20151108_125509.jpg

I think this one is for some type of terminal, DED?

20151108_121546.jpg

Maybe larkspur power cable?

20151108_121632.jpg

Some weird cable with lots of pins...

20151108_121814.jpg

Maybe a Bowman, but could double for late Clansman. Loud Speaker I think.

20151108_122557.jpg

Another with a Bowman feel about it...

20151108_122715.jpg

Oops have to stop there, only allowed 20 pics per post!

Dougy

20151108_121504.jpg

20151108_121523.jpg

20151108_121530.jpg

20151108_121536.jpg

20151108_121624.jpg

20151108_121751.jpg

20151108_121755.jpg

20151108_121758.jpg

20151108_121804.jpg

20151108_122549.jpg

20151108_122706.jpg

This is in danger of turning into a sales and wants thread, but do you have a cable with the small 3 pin female Bowman type MIL-C-38999 connector (NW0998FNO)? It's used for power on some of the Abbot BATES equipment.

Andy

I don't remember seeing a cable like it Andy, but I will have a look at the weekend if I get chance to go to where my box of cables are.

Will also check out this cable,

Isn't this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]109871[/ATTACH]

the same connector as the K60 alternator control boxes? Quite useful if so.

Andy

As I have a control box there as well.

Dougy