matador restoration.

doug fleet

I had a good weekend on the matador. got the n/s door pillar all welded in as well as 3 parts on the frame around it. me and my son refitted the complete wing . just shows you how heavy it is as we had to use the engine hoist to put it in place. we got most of the holes drilled in the new pillar. ground off the rivets to get the wing top off but knocking the rivets out the armour is hard work with a hammer and punch. so I will take the bits to me mates and use his press. hopping to pick the rivets soon ready to rivet it all back together.

• 2 weeks later...

got all the new bits on the n/s primed today aswell as the wing parts. the wing top is all drilled and bolted to the new bit of steel and I have cut around it , just got to tweek it here and there. almost got all the steel fabrication done now on the n/s . got a few bits to finish on the off/ side then chuck some olive drab around..

• 2 weeks later...

Refitted the front wing just to see if all the holes in the new bits lined up and yes they do , so all good .Everywhere there is a nut and bolt we have to put a rivet. all the wing parts are now primed . we have got to rivet the wing bits back together in an order or we wont get to them all. the engine has now been wire brushed and is ready to be painted . for some reason the engine was gloss black so that's how its going to be.i thought it would be easier to paint the engine and the front end of the chassie while the wings arnt on it as they are completely riveted to the frame .

I don't know quiet why but the engine was gloss black underneath all the mud and grease .The next step is get the engine all covered up and paint the front end olive drab as that's what the colure was underneath the mud and grease on the running gear and chassie . Once that's done its sort the riveting out on the front wings.feels like I rearly got somewhere with it today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...