matador restoration.

doug fleet

Well done Doug , good steady progress being made , I'm following with interest:thumbsup:

hiya John thanks very much I keep chipping away at it , I have come a long way but there is still a long way to go .Iam trying to get all the engine covers cleaned up and primed as they are easier to fit with out the front wings on . Front wings are ready to rivet up then fit .

had a good day today got the engine covers primed and top coated on the side nearest the engine .got a few of them refitted back on the lorry. . hopping to get some more back on tomorrow all being well . its starting to look a bit like a matador again . iam pleased with todays progress.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the dash panels cleaned and primed up and loosely bolted back on. wheels and n/s front wing also refitted only to get it out the way . the matador will be going back down the other end of the shed in a week or so for the summer as I need to do some jobs on the steam engines for the rally season. I now have most of the inside of the cab refitted so the next big job is riverting the front back together. I was e mailed some photos of the inside of the Dorchester at duxford and its painted silver inside . mine seems to be painted white inside, the cab on mine was painted olive drab aswell as can be seen by the front of the dash bored panel.

we don't know why its putting the photos on twice so sorry about that. we had a change around in the shed today . had to put the matadors down the back end and steam engines at the front ready to do some maintenance on them for the show season . some one wanted to see the engines so put it one next to the lorry for size. I will be chipping away at it over the summer as and when I can thanks for looking .

I sued to do a lot of shifting my dead Matadors around with Land Rovers. In retrospect I wish I'd have sold the Land Rovers and kept the Matadors!

I strethened the front of the chassie where the bumper bolts on and put 3 10 thick strips of steel inside the bumper and welded them together to add some strength. the green matador weighs 7.1 tonne and the other one must be a bit more .

I was e mailed some photos of the inside of the Dorchester at duxford and its painted silver inside . mine seems to be painted white inside, the cab on mine was painted olive drab aswell as can be seen by the front of the dash bored panel.

Hello Doug,

I've attached some photos I took a few years ago of the interior of the Dorchester at the Royal Signals Museum which may be of interest regarding interior colour. I have also read somewhere that British armour usually had a white painted interior. If this is true, then I don't think that it would be out of place for the Dorchester to have had the same.

You're making good progress, keep up the good work.

Ian.

attachment.php?attachmentid=124963&stc=1

P1020011.jpg

P1020016.jpg

P1020017.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As I had a spare day I took the chance to spend it scrapping some more mud and grease off the rear axle and brake parts on the chassie . I took the camra but no memory card so that was a wast of time . hopping to spend the day tomorrow doing a bit more , hopefully with photos this time

• 1 month later...