Sky News: Two People Die After Explosion In WWII Tank ... Hellcat?

steve M7B1

Forum posts can and have been used in court as evidence and there may be restrictions about discussing certain cases in "the media", which also includes the interwebs.

In any case, this is a very unfortunate event and it is always a great loss to the community when we lose any member, and particularly when they are active and influential members.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry, I wouldn't worry about how our discussions affect the case or investigation. I think discussing this is important, to educate the members and hopefully learn what to do and what not to do. I doubt anyone would be able to use forum posts as evidence in Court, simply because Rules of Civil (and especially Criminal) Procedure have very specific requirements to introduce documents as evidence: typically someone has to lay the foundation for the document and authenticate it under oath. This means that anything off the internet is inadmissible as hearsay -- the "document" can't be crossexamined, whereas if a document is properly introduced, the guy who authored it must be in Court and he CAN be crossexamined. I don't mean to make this a legal debate, but just wanted to point this out, in case anyone is concerned and this chills the discussion.

For me, this incident is bad news on many fronts. First, two people who were passionate about this hobby lost their lives. Second, it reminds me how dangerous this hobby can be, even you don't act recklessly -- an inadvertent mistake or fault can kill or seriously maim. This is enough of a worry that I start to question whether having my 13 old climbing on the Saracen or helping out is too much of a risk. Third, these incidents inexorably corrode public's perception of our hobby and can only lead to regulation and legislation that will make it more difficult to enjoy.

As for kids in the hobby. I have ridden horses since I was about three. Including Cross Country, hunting and re-making horses that others had ruined. I also shoot again since I was old enough to hold an air gun, and sail , and drive off roaders.

Touch wood no serious injuries. What do I put this down to? I have been lucky enough never to have a bad teacher in any subject. I was taught to do it right do it safe and think about what I was doing. My own son was never allowed to point a toy gun at anybody, he's TA and shoots regularly and enjoys it, he's now passing it on to the step son's. Teach kids properly, yes they will get knocks and scare themselves , it 's called learning. If we don't encourage and teach and intrest the younger generation, who's going to carry on when we are done?