Landing craft in West London

g0ozs

Dear All

About 25 years ago I helped a friend from work collect a dismantled cinema organ from a storage yard and workshop in West London.

The location was beside a river and I remember 3 or 4 landing craft were out of the water on a bank between the yard and the river. From memory they were about 4 metres beam and 15-20 metres long with a small bridge / wheelhouse so li

I didn't drive the van on the day so I cant remember exactly where it was (so can't search google earth) and I sometimes wonder what happened to them - I wonder if anyone here saw them and remembers where ?

Iain

Dear All

About 25 years ago I helped a friend from work collect a dismantled cinema organ from a storage yard and workshop in West London.

The location was beside a river and I remember 3 or 4 landing craft were out of the water on a bank between the yard and the river. From memory they were about 4 metres beam and 15-20 metres long with a small bridge / wheelhouse so li

I didn't drive the van on the day so I cant remember exactly where it was (so can't search google earth) and I sometimes wonder what happened to them - I wonder if anyone here saw them and remembers where ?

Iain

Would that be Southall ? If so then I had two of them.

Bob

I think so - looking at the map it might have been at the pond where Willowtree Marina now is. I dimly remember some kind of Foundry or Iron Works being near by at the time but it would have been earlier than 1992 for sure.

I'm also interested in what happened to them - I plotted for years to go back and buy one as a houseboat but by the time I had the funds I already had a car and a house on land !

Regards

Iain