Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The 110.

Default Re: The 110.

Rain & Frustration

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Fri, November 06, 2015 15:17:48
    My family is spread far and wide across this big boulder we all live upon and to say we are an interesting mix of folk would be an understatement. Do you know that TV program called "Modern Family" that is supposed to be an exaggeration of what a family can consist of mix folk wise today well that has nothing upon my lot in fact they probably wouldn't have made us into a TV programme because no one would have believed it! Thinking about it that could be a good series of short stories there I may well pen into that at some point...
    Anyway Wifey and I set off to see one of my many siblings who lives in Dublin also meeting his new girlfriend in the process. This was going to be my third trip to Dublin city but it was the first time I would actually see any of it because this brother is a musician and we usually just ended up in a bar getting drunk over a couple of days but not this time folks I am older and wiser then throw into the mix that I cannot tolerate any sort of hangover any more (the last one lasted three days) I determined we were going to see this fair city this time and what a city it is! We had a great time exploring the place on a budget even taking in a guided tour which was fantastic and walking for miles and miles and miles to boot! You must do the Guinness Storehouse visit if you are over there that was fun and you got a pint at the end of it...which was nice.

Well the weather was fantastic after a foggy start first thing on the Monday morning so I was hoping that it would be nice for the week when we got home because we both had it booked off of work so a trip to Derbyshire was also planned to climb Jacobs Ladder along with some much needed time on Pukkah the 110.

Nature on the other hand seems to have other ideas on our plans because from what seemed like after the minute we landed back on home turf the heavens opened and have not stopped since. No worries I thought it wont last that long I will just have a lazy day then get around to doing a bit on Friday...it's still raining.
    Now funds are a bit tight this month but I have gathered a few bits up for sale and got shot of them so I could then invest in a few bits for the 110 so with nothing more pressing to do I tooted off to Paddocks to buy a few bits with Wifey in tow who bought me a nice lunch out

Price update time then. There's a few bits piling up in the shed now and more on the way which I will add on once they arrive but once the weather breaks I am set and raring to get stuck in before the really cold weather kicks in.

Costings.

110 PROJECT & DELIVERY 1500
    PILLAR REPAIR PANELS 70
    FILTER KIT 2.5 NA 12
    FRONT SHOCKS PAIR 27
    SUSPENSION TURRETS PAIR 10
    TURRET SECURING RINGS 7
    RADIATOR MUFF
    MILITARY ARIEL 5

TOTAL 1631
    Series 3 rebuild blog @ nickysmith.me

2. Advertisement

Ah yes the diesel will be better on fuel especially the tdi.
    But the noise of a tdi in a un soundproofed 110 is amazing, if you thought the series 3 was noisy the diesel takes the cake your ear drums will ring.
    In fact that's why the tithonus land rovers were fitted with the acoustic mating due to HandS rules over noise.
    If I was you I would sound proof the bulkhead bonnet floors etc basically to the level of the civi boingys.
    Unless you like the noise which some people atcually do.
    It's looking good though.

I have to admit that soundproofing is high on my list of priorities! While the front end is off I will seal the whole bulkhead up then soundproof it all completely then it will be onto the roof and sides internally for a dose of the same.
    This one is going to be my keeper so I will be getting it all bang on right for me! No sympathetic restoration this time it's mine and who wants a people carrier 110 restored anyway??

The weather has been against me all bloomin week but hey ho can't change that I will just jump on it when I get the chance.

Accelerators & Horns

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 08, 2015 16:07:28
    The rain had stopped. I looked out of the bedroom window and was astounded that there was nothing falling from the sky so first things first I had to take the motorbike out for a short run to warm the engine through because it had been sat on the driveway for the last week. That done I decided that some time on the 110 was just the ticket so I set to sorting a few tools out in the shed but when I turned around to walk out to the driveway the heavens had opened once again so what else could I do at this point but go and make a sausage cob.

Cob and tea done the rain had eased off once again so I ran outside and ended up looking at the 110 wondering what to do today with it but I soon settled upon what seems to be my nemesis on it at the moment...the injection pump.
    This bloody thing has been a pain in the backside since I replaced the leaking O ring it has simply refused to run once the throttle arm is replaced but this time I had a trick up my sleeve I had borrowed another pump off of a friend to compare what I was doing and there was one spring I had been putting on wrong so I set to rectifying this mistake.
    Stripped down again then put back i the correct order I was sure it would just fire up first turn of the key but as it turned out I was wrong. It just turned over and over not firing so I sat on the wing looking in wondering what to do now?
    Everything looked like it was in the right place but something was obviously amiss but what that was just eluded me. At this point my youngest daughter called me around back for some advice on stripping down her scooter panels so I had ten minutes away from my problematic pump.
    When I returned I had decided to strip it all down once more then fire up the engine which was not a problem with the arm off so I started it up then being mindful of the spinning radiator fan and fan belt putting one bit on after another then the springs came into play finally tightening down the nut on top of the throttle arm.

That was when the engine cut out.

Hmm interesting. The nut is a locking one so I wound it back half a turn and then twisted the ignition key again to hear the engine spring into life! I checked that the accelerator worked, which it did a treat, then that there were no leaks at all coming form the injection pump, which there were not much to my surprise, and I let the engine warm through properly which it has not done in some time...

What next then? Well I set to running through all of the electrics again making sure of what exactly worked and what didn't. Indicators...checked out ok along with all of the other lights even the wipers and washers worked but my luck ran out on the horn making any noise at all. Oh well couldn't moan about that so I decided to check through to the horn to see what the issue could be. I removed the grill and the problem was soon obvious because you see there was not a horn there at all so no wonder I couldn't get any sound...

nickysmith.me

Rainy Days & Diarys

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 15, 2015 18:02:39
    It's only November but my diary is booked every weekend from now until Christmas fitting family and folk in across the board to say hello to making the effort to actually meet up because as I get older life does seem to get in the way of such things. So yesterday we had our great friends up for a day out at Chatsworth House which is all decked out Christmassy like along with a rather large Christmas Fair/Market thing which was nice until the heavens opened heavily and didn't stop from that point on for the rest of the day.
    That just about sums up how the weather has been since I bought the 110 whenever I have had a chance to work on him so when this morning it was raining again I set to buying some more essential parts off of my list for him online so I can get the front end rebuilt which has wiped me out financially but those bits along with what is hopefully being delivered from a friend as well this week sets me up to sort the whole front end up to the rear bulkhead sorted. I will add the costs up as we go this week and as parts are delivered so it stays true but I finally feel like I am getting to the point here I can actually get stuck in from next weekend now without fear of everything grinding to a halt because I have forgotten to buy a nut and bolt!

Costings.

110 PROJECT & DELIVERY 1500
    PILLAR REPAIR PANELS 70
    FILTER KIT 2.5 NA 12
    FRONT SHOCKS PAIR 27
    SUSPENSION TURRETS PAIR 10
    TURRET SECURING RINGS 7
    RADIATOR MUFF
    MILITARY ARIEL 5
    FRONT SPRINGS
    FAN BELT
    CAMBELT KIT
    STEERING DAMPER 62

TOTAL 1693

Cop Outs & Cock Ups.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, November 21, 2015 16:03:23
    At very short notice I ended up working away most of this week training the happy folk of the Spennymoor depot who in all fairness really joined in with the training which makes it more interesting and even sometimes fun! It rained a lot up there the wind was howling around the walls of the hotel I was staying in and my thoughts went out to those folk that live on the streets because it must of been bloody awful for them.
    The only casualty I found upon returning home was one of my kayaks had taken a flying lesson over a five foot wall cracking the base of itself six inches in on one end so I will have to buy some fibreglass resin and see if I can make it water tight again.

I Was supposed to be heading off to see my brother and his family today but as I sat down last night I felt exhausted so I cried off that trip to Bristol because I could not face another five hours of driving on top of the countless hours I had spent behind the wheel already this week. Christmas is fast approaching so we will have to make up for it then and if you are reading this little brother we will

After a very pleasant sleep I awoke and wondered what to do with the day...first up the old dog (not Wifey really it was the dog) decided it was time to go out for a walk so I obliged not realising just how damned cold it was out there nor how breezy and my mind turned towards the 110 that was sat on my driveway that could just be seen from my meander with the dog.
    I don't want to do another project if I am honest I just want to jump in and drive it I really regret selling Brian the Discovery but what is done is done and cannot be changed so after a quick breakfast I donned my babygrow and went out to get started on removing the front end to 1) Open up the bulkhead for welding then 2) Start off with changing over the suspension on the front end and I mean all of it!

The grill came off quickly and easily then I set to removing the stubborn bolts for the front panel...

The offside was easy enough but the nearside bolts were going to take a little more force so I popped on the ratchet extension and promptly slipped like a clumsy fool bashing the ratchet handle into the now exposed radiator, cursing myself I went right back to the stubborn bolt in question and managed to free it off and it was then I noticed my gloved left hand was getting a little warm...no not just warm but damp and warm...

Talk about six sorts of stupid!!! As if i didn't have enough to do/spend on this 110 I as in ME have cost myself even more money and time because I am so bloody clumsy!
    I dug around in the shed and found some polystyrene to divert the flow because I still had a couple of bolts to remove and Pukkah just wanted to pee on me where I needed to stand...

Five minutes more of me buggering about and the front panel was off. My feet were like frozen blocks of ice at this point I was feeling a bit low with the whole project thing so I went inside for a nice cup of tea.
    As I stood in the kitchen supping away on my brew talking to Wifey I pondered once again whether I could be bothered with this project. The Mrs just looked at me then said
    "Sell it if can't be doing with it. That is of course if you want to quit...have you ever quit on any of your other projects over the years before?"

Bloody women throwing the gauntlet down to me thinking I was going to fall for the whole reverse psychology thing.
    I went back outside and carried on in the cold.

How many nuts and bolts do you need to hold on a wing?? Lots is the answer and then of course you have to remove all that is attached to it like header tanks etc and please please if you find yourself having to remove a wing do not and I repeat here do not forget to disconnect the lighting wiring that runs through it before you try to remove it from the rest of the motor or you will end up looking like a right tool like I did for the second time today.
    With the wing removed the true extent of the pillar/foot well rust became quickly apparent and the suspension really was in a sorry state...

Time to ignore the bulkhead bit for now as I am starting from the front end here so I cleaned back the rust on the base of the suspension turret then whacked on a smaller socket than the 13mm that should have been used due to the rust issues and off they came. Then I undid the bottom of the shock from below the spring eventually and the whole lot lifted out...

It had indeed seen better days but I had more to do here I still had to get that rusty sloppy spring out of place and it was here I wondered what I had to do with it. I knew how to do a Discovery one so surely this had to be the same right? I convinced myself I as probably wrong then had visions of the spring shooting out of its place across the dual carriageway through me first so I called a friend who has one of these and asked him if I was right. Turns out I was, thanks fella it's nice to know I am not that many sorts of stupid after all, so I set too jacking the axle down taking the tension off of the spring and with a little bit of gentle persuasion form a medium sized hammer the old one popped out of where it had been sitting for a great number of years.

I forgot to take a picture at this point so forgive me but while the spring was out I treated the whole of that chassis area to a good scrub down and undersealing before fitting the new spring in place after checking about twelve times I had the correct spring for the drivers side. Then I popped the replacement cone along with new retention ring and shock into place tightened up the nuts then stood back to admire my handy work...

This process had taken me longer than I care to admit at this point but I am hoping the other side will be a bit quicker now I have the process sorted in my head. While I had the underseal out and the wing off I decided to seal the wheel arch of it up as there was some surface rust showing and seeing as apparently I am not going to be quitting on this project I may as well do it all properly...

The driveway looked like a bomb had gone off on it with tools everywhere as well as rubbish and rust so I started on a big clean up that even included getting the brush out! It was while I was brushing away a black Range Rover pulled up with an Irish chap in it who had just finished an event at 1:30pm in the afternoon and was going to sell me a generator "cheap as chips." Jeez do I look like I just fell out of the tree or what and knowing this scam and the fact I have a 110 sat on the driveway which like to be stolen a lot at the moment (how disappointed would they be with my rust bucket if they did!) I became rather unfriendly with him not aggressive mind just shirty enough for him to quickly bugger off but not before I got his registration to which I did not hide the fact that I was taking it down.

With that little bit of nonsense over I set back to my sweeping chore and gathered up about half a Land Rover in rust and then decided to call it a day because the thought of sitting on the freezing cold concrete removing another wing was not exactly appealing. All locks were locked after all of the security devices were put into place as a deterrent for any low life passes and I may just dig out the webcam and set that up looking at the driveway just in case.

I feel better now I have made a proper start on him the fact that one thing off of the list is now done my rhythm for the build is returning but that bulkhead is going to need some panels soon as it looks like a Swiss cheese...

Barking & Bushes.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 22, 2015 15:02:54
    I am not quite right in the head.
    No really I am not I am convinced the rest of the world is quite mad and only I see what is truly going on but thankfully I keep this to myself for the most part so don't tell anyone ok.

So yesterday I managed to take all day just changing the offside suspension but my OCD would not let it rest there because who in Gods name would only do half of a job eh? Well certainly not me it literally kept me awake last night and when I slept the fact the nearside needed doing was in my dreams. Wifey asked this morning what my plans for the day were and I was thankful to hear the "my" bit because I was already dressing for the messy work of dealing with the nearside suspension on the 110. I umm'd and rrr'd for a few seconds and asked if she had anything she wanted to do which she did that did not involve me for a few hours so I had free reign to get stuck in.
    I opened the bedroom door to find the dog sitting in the doorway looking at me hopefully because I had had the cheek to get up make a brew and take it back to bed to drink before she had had her walk so my cheeky get stuck into the landy had a price after all.

When the mutt was happy I set to stripping out the passenger wing and if anything the suspension on this side actually looked worse than the other side...

There was rust galore everywhere under there and would the bloody nut free off on the bottom of the shock no dear reader it would not. Eventually though I managed to crack it just as my neighbour walked past asking how I didn't feel the cold sitting out here on the driveway to which I replied "Layers chap, it's all in the layers"
    Happy with this he disappeared into his warm and generally far more sensible house for what smelt 20 minutes later like a full English fry up...lucky bugger.

At this point I had managed to smack a smaller socket onto the turret bolts and snapped them off in short order and the shock and turret were free. They were definitely worse than the other side...

But no worries I had the new set ready to roll and with easier placement of the jack onto the axle because there were no steering arms or boxes in the way the old spring soon popped out as well. A quick slap of underseal around later and the new spring along with turret retention ring were in place so I popped it all together ready to tighten up the nuts.
    This is where the fun really started.

Could I get the bottom nut in place on the shock absorber...no no I could not. I pushed I pulled I shoved then used tools to hold the shock down but I just could not get the nut started on the thread. In the end I resorted to trimming off a little of the bush and that solved the issue but this whole process took about half an hour.
    Still when all done it does look good or am I the only freak that gets off on new car parts??? I bloody love new car parts...

Part of the process of getting the nearside wing off was to move the air filter out of the way and that was a proper mess and had not been changed for donkeys years. Luckily I had one in the shed so a quick swap sorted that issue and this may just be in my head but the engine seems to run better for it too.
    With all of this off I had a look at the foot well and yes this needs changing along with two other patches I have managed to find...

Just as well I have bought that new welder eh!
    Now the time had come to pop the wheels back on drop the 110 off of the axles stands and see if the new springs had made much of a difference to the ride height. Now considering these are standard springs I was very surprised to see that Pukkah now sits a good 2-3" taller on the front end! The sag in those old springs must have been awful and I suspect they were the ones fitted from new in the factory.

With that all sorted I had a little drive up and down as far as I could on my driveway and path to settle the springs into place then set to treating the rust on the rear bodywork just because I was sick of seeing it if I am honest and the rest of the motor has plenty enough underneath without waving more of it at me everytime I walk past it.

I will need to source some new cappings for the rear of the tub before painting but that is way down on my list of priorities.

The weekend has finished with me feeling a lot better about what lies ahead now on this project and what a difference a day can really make. The front end suspension is now in place the 110 still drives and much to my surprise still stops when you use the brakes considering what they look like and I am starting to see a time line and order in my head on what will be done and when. Isn't it amazing how different you can feel once you have made even a little bit of progress on something because yesterday morning I could have quite happily sold this little shed of mine but today well I don't think I would see it go...

Welding & Water

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, November 28, 2015 17:33:53
    What's your first memory? I mean the real first memory not the one you wish it could be or the memory of a photo that you have been shown from your very early life. I literally remember becoming self aware one morning in my bedroom, I lay there looking around knowing who I was that I was safe but I could not recall anything from the day before. I knew that there was a yesterday but what I did or why I did it I had no idea and try as hard as I could nothing would come forth from my memory. Then my Mum came into my room and I knew she was my Mum all was safe and now the fact that I could not recall yesterday or anything before didn't really matter so I went back to being a kid.

Weird eh but there it is the first thing I can recall with any clarity and that still doesn't seem as far away as the end of this project!

I sat around early this morning wondering how early was too early to get the grinder out and start on the 110's rather vast amount of welding without upsetting the neighbours so once 08:30 arrived I thought "bugger it" and started to set up for the morning to get some done before the promised rain of the afternoon made an appearance.
    In my eagerness to get on with it I forgot to takes any photos at the start but you have seen the rusty bits already so I cut those out and ground back to bare metal to get welding to. I needed a couple of patches doing on an outrigger so that was soon sorted...

As you can see I decided against removing the whole floor panel because the metal really is solid on most of it so a patch out but the a full width floor panel welded in on both sides for added strength then sealed up nicely...

I only had one real issue through any of today's welding and that was there seemed to be water dripping off of the roof from melting frost just where I wanted to weld each and every time of course but sod's law does like a laugh and today it was at my expense.
    So with those bits done I set to sorting the door pillar so first the door had to come off which is a straight forward job just four bolts to remove and the first three undid no problem at all but the fourth did not want to play in any shape or form at all. First of all it broke my heavy duty screwdriver that I have had for years then the whole head somehow just disintegrated so out came the drill and off came the door.
    With that done I ground off all of the old pillar and stood back to get the new one to offer up into place and then as I looked up I realised that I really was past the point of no return here whether it was going to rain or not!

I have never done a door pillar on a Land Rover before so I sat back and had a think (which is no easy feat for me you know) of what I should do here in what order. I set to with offering the pillar up into place then popping a couple of tack welds at the top then at the bottom. Then I set the door back into place using the remaining two bolts that were still serviceable closing is onto the latch setting it to the correct position.
    A quick weld along the top sealed the deal there and then I drilled through the new with the old making a hole that I turned into a spot weld bridging the two down the inside. On the front of the bulkhead side I seam welded the new panel and hey presto folks it sat true and unmovable.

One side down and I was really feeling like I was into the swing of things here then I felt the first drops of rain arriving. It was good timing really because I needed to eat and the driveway looked like a bomb had hit it so I set to putting it all away being content with the fact that I was halfway through the front end welding already.

Getting it warm.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Thu, December 03, 2015 16:12:21
    I have been working night shift for a few nights this week far from home in County Durham and hats off to you folks that do this full time because I do not know how you manage with it at all. Night shift is so foreign to my body I don't know whether I am coming or going. I have averaged three hours sleep per day over the last three days with my system refusing to believe that it was a good idea being awake at those odd times at all.
    I awoke to my alarm at around midnight or last night or this morning whatever you want to call it and set out to teach two classroom sessions about four hours long each. Then I had the pleasure of driving home back to Nottingham straight afterwards but by the time I had finished up at work this end and got home it as around 2pm. I just wanted to go to sleep there and then I am shattered and as soon as my body realised we were home rather than in a hotel it relaxed big style! Problem is I have to be up at 5am to get to work for another day of training so I need to push through to at least 8pm before letting sleep take me in a massive way to it's relaxing black void.
    So out came the coffee along with any small chores I could find in the house but it was when I looked out of the window I remembered that I had had a couple of deliveries while I was away for the 110 and they were in it waiting for me to have a look at them.

There were a pair of door bottoms bought off of a friend that were in pretty good condition needing just a little work doing to get them bang on right because I am seriously considering putting the correct military style doors back on the 110 rather than the updated Defender type doors it has on at the moment. Happy with that I set to opening the massive cardboard box that ran the length of the 110's rear and as expected it held the new rear third chassis I had ordered and it is in perfect condition with no dents from delivery which was nice! I don't know why folks always knock Britpart I have never had a problem with their bits to date and the chassis is made well enough for the price painted well to boot. I will of course treat it again anyway for rust prevention to maximise it's life while I slowly save up for a galv chassis and new bulkhead for the 110's next reincarnation in a few years time.

That done I decided to start the engine up and run it to temperature pulling through the injection cleaner along with the fuel. I must change the oil and filter soon and while I have the front end off as access will be so much easier as well as hopefully reducing some of the smoke from start up. The oil is as black as night and who knows when it was last changed on the old boy!
    I had a bit of a tidy up and looked at what welding needed to be done but it started to rain along with the fact I can barely keep my eyes open so I decided that that was probably just asking for trouble and headed back indoors to stick on another pot of coffee.
    The weather looks a bit pants for the weekend again but I am hoping for a few hours of dry at some point so I can crack on with the welding that needs doing on the driverside of the bulkhead.
    Or maybe I will just sleep....

More Cars & Cutting.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, December 05, 2015 16:47:00
    I am turning into a fair weather rider on the motorbike, after my off last winter I cannot be bothered with riding in the cold wet windy weather that's now making an appearance so I have been quietly looking in the background for another Land Rover to run for the winter months and then sell on again come the springtime. I'm not bothered what it is it can be a Discovery Series whatever but not a freelander because I want to be able to sell it on again easily and I only have a budget of 800 to play with.
    First thing this morning we set off to look at an N reg Disco and it ran fine with new tyres but was pretty rusty on the usual places to the extent that I would have had to do a fair few repairs before selling it on again and in all honesty there is already one project on the driveway and I do not want another one! I want a winter car that I can just get in and drive maybe give it a service but that's it and the bike wants parking up until the warmer weather rolls back in.

A little disappointed we headed home where Wifey then went off to do shopping stuff so I dug out the grinder as well as the welder again to attack the offside door pillar on the 110. Wifey has taken to calling it "Pie" now because "Pukkah" is "boring and they make pies" she says...yes my wife is mental.I set to removing the door and then grinding out what was left of the old pillar...

So with all of that old metal cleaned off I then grabbed the new pillar offered it up into place then tack welded it up after securing it with all manner of clamps so it wouldn't move...

That done I set to welding it up again properly and it was now that I ran out of wire. Wifey still had the car so I jumped onto the motorbike to shoot down to Machinemart in town who charged me a bloody fortune for some 0.9mm wire then battled the high winds home again. The winds were so strong I was blown onto the wrong side of the road so I thought to myself "There's another reason for a winter car". Home once again I finished up my welding after knocking the pillar into shape as I went along and making spot welds were needed as well.

Once it was finished I popped the door hinges back on they really will need replacing on both sides as they move about 5mm on their old pins. Then I put the wing on and to my horror there was a massive gap at the base of the pillar! I wondered how I would cure this whether I would just bolt the wing back on pulling the base over a bit more or taking the pillar back off and starting again. I took two steps back to look at it from a different angle and it was then that I noticed that the front end of the wing was resting on the radiator bracket so I put it into it's correct place and the gap promptly disappeared.

By now with the days extra excursions to boot I was losing the light so it was time to put the tools away and leave the foot well until the next time I get a couple of spare hours.
    When I got indoors I was subjected the yearly ritual of dragging the Christmas tree in and sticking the lights on it. Then dear reader as I wrote this post there was happiness and merriment from my good lady Wife and two of my daughters as they hung the decorations on it making as much noise as possible as they did so!

If you know of a Landy in my budget of 800 with a decent MOT and not a rot box please get in touch via Nick@nickysmith.me

nickysmith.me

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information