Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The 110.

Default Re: The 110.

Hey Sam just go to this website...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

You will create an account then ask The ministry of defence under the freedom of information act for the details where your motor served but you must give them the vin number and the forces registration should be on the vin plate as well looks something like 44-BF-56.

They get back to you pretty quickly as well
    Series 3 rebuild blog @ nickysmith.me

2. Advertisement

Sent one off, thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by samc88 View Post
    Sent one off, thanks for that
    No problem

Pumps and Parts.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, October 25, 2015 15:33:21
    An extra hour in bed then as the clocks went back....made no difference to me really so I sat in the kitchen early this morning enjoying the peace and calm of a quiet morning whilst the rest of the house slept in.

As I sat there I figured out that this is going to be my third project in 18 months and if I am honest it will be my last big one. I am tired and the thought of doing another major overhaul is daunting but I am trying to take solace in the fact this will be my keeper so I sucked it up and after a quick trip to the car boot where I bought bugger all I set to having a look at the injector pump leaking like Niagra falls issue.

Looking at the injector pump and with no idea how it came apart apart from a quick internet search that pointed to the o ring being fubar in the throttle linkage I decided to start there taking it apart but a word of warning there are two springs behind it...

A 10mm nut held the arm in place so first that came off showing me a bolt left behind...

I easily removed the plastic cap then I set to picking out the white plastic asher quickly followed by a rock hard o ring. I had one the same size in the shed so I popped it into place with the use of a couple of electrical screwdrivers then I popped on the arm minus the springs fired up the old motor and hey presto no leaks!!!!!
    Feeling smug with myself I set to putting the arm back on it and the springs back in place under the watchful eye of a new supervisor ho appears to have taken quite a liking to the 110...

Once all the arm and springs were back in place I went to start it up again and bugger me it wouldn't. I looked around and realised it was below low on fuel so hopefully it's as a simple fix as popping some diesel in it but the battery has gone flat now and I had no diesel to hand so onto other things while the sun still shined.
    Next in line was to see if I could take the half turn play out of the steering so I set to adjusting the steering box.
    First of all I had to get the front wheels off of the ground with a couple of jacks then I set to undoing the securing nut on the steering box and adjusted the centre with a flat head screwdriver clockwise a half turn at a time seeing if it would take up the play at the steering wheel...

It did indeed do it to some extent but at full turn there is still about a quarter turn on the steering wheel so I suppose that a replacement box is needed but hey ho it is a project after all.

With all of that done and dinner calling me inside I decided to call it a day. I need some fuel putting in the 110 before I can check to see what's wrong on that side of things and quite frankly I had had enough for one day. Yes the thought a third project on the bounce is daunting and at times I wonder why I do it to myself instead of just saving up and buying a nice motor that will tow our wobble box where ever we want it to without the need for constant maintenance but hell I suppose there would be no fun in that at all.

Congratulations on sorting the o-ring You may have to bleed the system now though if its run that low on fuel.

I cheated a bit on mine and jump started to the golf and had my dad keep it cranking while i cracked the injector unions until diesel came through. The starter gets quite hot though so you have to give it a break occasionally. The 2.5 seems to take forever to bleed through for some reason

Bigger than I thought...

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Mon, October 26, 2015 18:35:21
    I am feeling a bit despondent a little sorry for myself and I shouldn't do because I am a lucky fella with a great Wife great kids and in all fairness I have more than I need in material possessions not that I am rich but the bike is pretty new for me and we have had Wifey's car from brand new so all in all nothing to complain about.
    But the 110 is becoming more and more of a project each time I look at it or explore something new it throws up more problems to be dealt with.

We are moving next year so there is a bit of a deadline there because I would like it to be road legal by then but I have to admit I am sitting here wondering whether I have another project in me or not. I am feeling tired after fighting that nasty bug that was doing the rounds last week that knocked me off of my feet literally! I cannot remember the last time I could not get out of bed due to illness so again just there just proves how lucky I am but I cannot help feeling a bit fed up with it all.

Thing is I want a Defender and I have one sat there ready to be built to my spec but it will be a mountain to climb so where do I start with it? How far do I go with it? Do I go for a full strip down and rebuild or a patch up and play? At the moment I just feel like selling it I wont do that I know that deep inside unless I literally run out of money bit a quick fix it is not going to be!

I will stop moaning now and sorry for down beat feel of this post but sometimes it makes me feel better to put things into written words and don't tell me you Landy lovers out there haven't at some point thought about throwing the towel in at times...

Making Plans...

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, October 31, 2015 12:19:32
    Right then after the sun had risen and some time had past after me getting out of my pit just before 5am not being able to sleep and after watching my neighbour the night shift cab driver come home I set to seeing if I could get the 110 to start again. I walked up to the local petrol station seeing as I had time to kill enjoying the early morning stillness that is rarely found in a big city.
    Diesel in and a fresh battery fitted I set to removing the throttle arm and linkage from the injector pump to see if that made any difference. The keys in the ignition I turned them clockwise not expecting a great deal to happen other that the noise of the starter turning relentlessly over so imagine my surprise when the engine fired immediately into life!

Now this pleases me a great deal because it is one less problem to deal with but there is still the issue of refitting the throttle arm and springs correctly because how ever long I look at it and what ever way I turn things over I cannot see for the life of me what I have done wrong there to make the engine not start! So if anyone would like a cup of tea and some cake that can fix it feel free to pop around

Satisfied that at least it runs once again I decide it was time to get to grips with all of the problems this 110 has and make a plan of action an order in which to do things just one step at a time so the whole project doesn't seem so damned overwhelming. First out was the middle front seat because that really wont be staying and will be replaced with a cubby box...

Then the hammer and screwdriver came out bashing all of the rusty spots I could see because it's not worth pretending that a bit is ok if it is not. I started in the floor pans...

Didn't take long to make some good sized holes! Then I checked the chassis and quite frankly the rear cross member is now a mess it's shot along with the back part of the chassis on the drivers side. A new extra extended piece will be needed so I best get saving for that! I already know the steering wants looking at a full service will be needed the rear axle is rusted to hell and I expect the brake system will need an overhall. The bulkhead is ok-ish but both of the front door pillars want replacing.
    It will require repainting then a new set of wheels and tyres fitting.
    Hell folks I have bought me another full on rebuild project here!
    So the plan is quite simple from here on in....sell it.

Nah only joking I will start from the front and work my way back through doing the bodywork initially then when that is all good I will paint it then move onto the mechanical side of things. I did get to have a play with my new welder today as well on an old piece of metal I had kicking around and what a difference that bit of kit will make! No more pigeon **** welding for me dear reader oh no its nice and smooth all the way from now on! My old welder must have been in an awful state for longer than I realised because using this one is like colouring in pictures with crayons.

One more project it is then I have to admit feeling better now that I know what I am up against. Costing wise I reckon I can get it sorted on this side of another 1000 if I box clever and buy wisely but we shall see how well I do on that at the end of it all because I will keep a full account of what's being spent as we go along. I am sure there will be some more laughter and tears over the upcoming months but I aim to keep the hospital visits to a minimum this time! See you on the other side...

nickysmith.me

Front End Fun.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 01, 2015 19:24:00
    Been a busy day really today because it was a bit shorter for me than usual. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to see the start of daylight creeping through the side of the curtains it left me a tad confused because it is normally pitch black when my body tells me it's done with sleeping so I turned to look at the little digital clock on my left that informed me it was 3 minutes past seven in the morning...that meant I had slept for about nine hours straight last night something that I have not done for years and I felt surprisingly refreshed instead of that beaten up slept too much groggy feeling you normally get from too much sleep.

I lay there relaxed and at peace with myself and the morning lay ahead of me I realised I had no desperate need to do much of anything at all. The day lay ahead and we had made no plans so I decided to be really naughty after my lie in and drag that relaxed feeling out by getting up ignoring my clothes throwing on my dressing gown which got a knowing look off of the dog who was waiting for me to take her out that that was not going to happen and then headed downstairs to stick the kettle on and not do much of bugger all. What a way to start the day nice and relaxed not rushing off anywhere after a great nights sleep I could get used to that!
    So after a brisk walk in the woods with Wifey I decided to at least have a bit of a go at the 110 starting with getting the front end of it off of the ground to make working on it a bit easier...

The offside wing needs to come off so I can start repairs on the bulkhead there on the door pillar then onto the foot well but before any of that can happen the wing needs to go so first things first the wheel came off which showed me yet more rust in places I had not noticed on the witches hat/suspension turret which is scrap as is the shock absorber...

Surprisingly enough the spring looks ok but seeing as I have to strip the rest off I will refit it all with a 2" lift all round not because I will be off roading it a great deal but just in case I do!
    With that decided I set to removing the rubber arch enough to be able to get to the blots holding the wing on...

I managed to get all of those rusty buggers out eventually and it is now all set bar a couple of screws to come off and away showing me the full extent of what lies ahead but why leave it there I hear you ask? Well the beef roast was coming on and the light was fading fast so I decided to end the day the way I had started it...relaxing.

nickysmith.me

Cool Re: The 110.

Quote Originally Posted by minn200 View Post
    Front End Fun.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 01, 2015 19:24:00
    Been a busy day really today because it was a bit shorter for me than usual. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to see the start of daylight creeping through the side of the curtains it left me a tad confused because it is normally pitch black when my body tells me it's done with sleeping so I turned to look at the little digital clock on my left that informed me it was 3 minutes past seven in the morning...that meant I had slept for about nine hours straight last night something that I have not done for years and I felt surprisingly refreshed instead of that beaten up slept too much groggy feeling you normally get from too much sleep.

I lay there relaxed and at peace with myself and the morning lay ahead of me I realised I had no desperate need to do much of anything at all. The day lay ahead and we had made no plans so I decided to be really naughty after my lie in and drag that relaxed feeling out by getting up ignoring my clothes throwing on my dressing gown which got a knowing look off of the dog who was waiting for me to take her out that that was not going to happen and then headed downstairs to stick the kettle on and not do much of bugger all. What a way to start the day nice and relaxed not rushing off anywhere after a great nights sleep I could get used to that!
    So after a brisk walk in the woods with Wifey I decided to at least have a bit of a go at the 110 starting with getting the front end of it off of the ground to make working on it a bit easier...

The offside wing needs to come off so I can start repairs on the bulkhead there on the door pillar then onto the foot well but before any of that can happen the wing needs to go so first things first the wheel came off which showed me yet more rust in places I had not noticed on the witches hat/suspension turret which is scrap as is the shock absorber...

Surprisingly enough the spring looks ok but seeing as I have to strip the rest off I will refit it all with a 2" lift all round not because I will be off roading it a great deal but just in case I do!
    With that decided I set to removing the rubber arch enough to be able to get to the blots holding the wing on...

I managed to get all of those rusty buggers out eventually and it is now all set bar a couple of screws to come off and away showing me the full extent of what lies ahead but why leave it there I hear you ask? Well the beef roast was coming on and the light was fading fast so I decided to end the day the way I had started it...relaxing.

nickysmith.me
    Only just came back to this and read that you sold the series 3.
    I hope you don't think that 110 be any more refined than the s3 cos military 110 and 90 s are just as bare bones and raw😊
    Ive been in your position before and the only way to get the vehicle you want is to perservering with one and build it up.
    I would bin that na and put a tdi in its not a complicated job and will make it infinitely more use able.
    The na will be slower than the s3 belive it or not☺

Yep I am considering the TDI route while the front end is off but we shall see....as for being more refined the diesel engine will be a bit better on fuel and the springs are a touch better than the leaf springs!

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information