The 110.

minn200

[h=2]It Has Arrived...[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, October 18, 2015 15:46:47

The day did not start well.

Last night when I went to bed at a far to unreasonable time for a weekend, 9:20pm, I was feeling pretty rough and it was not through anything fun that I had done like a quick drink at lunchtime that turned into a bit of a session oh no it was because I was aching from top to toe as well as feeling exhausted.

Don't get me wrong here I am not moaning there are plenty of bugs doing the rounds at the moment and it seemed it was just my turn to have a go no dear reader I am just pointing out that this is where it began and carried on throughout the night giving me little sleep and making me feel worse and worse as time drew on until the dawn broke and sweating like mad whilst feeling cold I had disturbed Wifey enough by my constant tossing and turning that she got up and us a cup of tea.

As I lay there I realised that I wasn't going to be getting up any time soon in fact I had not felt this ill for a great many years even the prospect of taking delivery of my new project 110 couldn't drag me from the confines of my pit and I lay there until three minutes before the 110 actually arrived outside of my house on the back of a trailer that was being towed by the sellers girlfriend.

Before I go on I just want to say it's great meeting new Landy folk and it's even better to see that the Land Rover brand still attracts the younger generations because this will ensure of beloved green oval motors carry on for years to come!

As I looked out of my window at the 110 the adrenaline kicked in and gave me my first boost of energy in 24 hours so I threw some clothes on and headed outside to meet the folk delivering it for me.

I knew this 110 would need some work because the seller had been brutally honest on the phone had sent me numerous pictures of what needed doing and it does indeed need a fair whack of welding along with numerous other things doing. In fact I thought I might have just been patching this up then running it but having had a closer look I will do a bit more than that! I will do a basic system overhaul weld the bugger up then get it MOT'd so it can become a running restoration.

This one will be a keeper for me I have worked my way up to it from the Series 3 to the Discovery and now my 110 pre Defender which was what I always wanted in the first place!

www?ShowFile&image=1445178897.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1445178952.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1445178991.jpgwww?ShowFile&image=1445179025.jpgSpecs then! He's a 110 obviously running a 2.5 n/a Diesel lump is ex MOD thankfully running on 12v. I have yet to send off for a merlin report to see if I can get some history on him but I will sort that out soon enough. The tyres are shot but the rims are good, the welding is mainly located to rear cross member and of course the bulk head. I will patch to begin with then see if I can source major replacement parts later.

He does need a name though and Wifey was asking what it was a couple of days ago but I had to get to know the old boy before I could decide I mean it will be with him for a very long time!

After careful thought consideration and lots of pondering I have decided that I shall call him...Pukah.

Sounds like "Pukka" which is both a pie I love and an old slang word for "Good" that will embarrass the children deeply each time I use it. So a win win all round!

Costings will be kept up this time around and yes I know I may have been able to get something a bit cheaper but the way Defender prices are rising I think this was about bang on the money.

Costings.

110 PROJECT & DELIVERY £1500

TOTAL £1500

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[h=2]Dirt & Leaks.[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Mon, October 19, 2015 18:32:58

Having got home with a time a little light left in the sky and feeling something like a human I took a little pleasure in exploring Pukka from Bonnet to Boot.

The engine started easily enough and smoked like a pig when revved but the diesel seems old and the oil is black so hopefully a quick change on both will sort the problem but lets not get ahead of ourselves here there is plenty more to do before we get to the point of driving him around.

Now how do I know the fuel is old well it's because the injector pump is leaking like a pig and the fuel has almost turned thicker than oil...

www?ShowFile&image=1445275440.jpg

The engine and it's bay are filthy so a new jet wash will be bought at the weekend to give a good clean out so I can see what I am dealing with rather than fumbling through the oily mass...

www?ShowFile&image=1445275540.jpg

I did find this attached to the passenger wing and have not got a clue what it is...

www?ShowFile&image=1445275643.jpg

The new welder is sitting waiting so I am looking forward to getting that set up this weekend for the first time and breaking it in on the chassis. I am in two minds whether to patch up the pillars on the bulk head but they are pretty rough so maybe replacement repair panels may be in order instead.

So he is filthy oily and leaks like a pig at the moment. There are more holes in him than a sink sponge and he seems to soak up as much water but I have to admit I like him. I get a good feeling when I am sat in him and as I look around I can see what he will become, it's not the quick patch up and go that I was expecting but I really do think he is a keeper.

Let the fun and games of a cold winter rebuild begin...

Here we go again! Looks a good project, good to see another landy project :)

Im afraid you'll need a recon injector pump if its leaking that bad from the body. Can you see where it leaks from? The one on the 12J in my series leaked badly, in the end i had to fork out and replace it

In case you didnt know, its a Lucas CAV DPS pump. Theres tonnes of stuff on the DPA as found on 2.25s but I couldnt seem to find a lot on the DPS otherwise I would have attempted to do it myself. Got fed up of it in the end and got a recon part exchanged

Oh also, its worth whipping the head off to check the precombustion chambers, I found mine ran well but they all had massive cracks running across them

In case you didnt know, its a Lucas CAV DPS pump. Theres tonnes of stuff on the DPA as found on 2.25s but I couldnt seem to find a lot on the DPS otherwise I would have attempted to do it myself. Got fed up of it in the end and got a recon part exchanged

Oh also, its worth whipping the head off to check the precombustion chambers, I found mine ran well but they all had massive cracks running across them

Thanks for that :) I have a friend of a friend who apparently refurbs them so hopefully sorted there but I am still considering a tdi transplant...

Thanks for that :) I have a friend of a friend who apparently refurbs them so hopefully sorted there but I am still considering a tdi transplant...

Hopefully you'll find this useful, it's a thread I did when I rebuilt my 2.5,

maybe the pictures will be helpful

https://www.landyzone.co.uk/land-rover/sams-2-5-n-a-diesel-strip-down-and-rebuild-thread.242186/

[h=2]Mud & Oil...[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, October 24, 2015 15:12:38

Do you remember when your Mum & Dad said time passes faster as you get older but when they said that you were in your late teenage years and time is measured in months not years? I do and it was brought to the front of my mind when my eldest daughter proudly told me that she and her boyfriend had been together for a whole six months "Which is like forever!"

Jeez it was six months ago since I last needed not to get up during the night to take a pee and it feels like last week!

How I wish to have a summer that feels like a lifetime again with nothing more serious to care about than how many hours I get to lie in before my next lecture after a night out on the booze. Still I have had my turn at that and it is now someone else's namely my children and that is as it should be.

Seeing as time passes so quickly I thought it best to actually do something to the one ten but with the weather promising to piddle down all day to which we were not disappointed I decided to start at the beginning with it and give a good clean so I could see what exactly I am dealing with.

This started with a quick trip to the shops to pick up a karcher jet washer that was on a half price offer then after getting kitted out in some wet weather gear I set to removing years of grimy oily covered mud. Remember how dirty the engine bay was well its a bit better now...

www?ShowFile&image=1445694630.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1445694667.jpg

The steering box maybe fubar as there is over a quarter free play on the steering wheel before anything actually happens so there's a job to look into.

www?ShowFile&image=1445694764.jpg

Then it was onto the chassis and my oh my was there a multitude of crap on that from front to back! In fact there was soo much crap I had to power wash the driveway off after I cleaned it but that's a job done that was on my list anyway. After some serious lying down in the wet blasting off anything that was no longer solid the chassis is not really too bad it will need the drivers side rear cross member welding up along with two new door pillars, I could just patch these but it will probably take longer than just replacing them and seeing as I am going to have to take the doors and wings off anyway I may as well just do it right, and a couple of patches in the floor wells. The battery box is just about at the point of no return so I will weld a new one in there as well but all electrics work bar the horn so another bonus there.

Then there was the outer bodywork which thankfully has no big holes but the little jet wash that could managed to blast off a lot of paintwork but better that now than after I have repainted it...

www?ShowFile&image=1445695249.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1445695287.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1445695335.jpg

Other news to note is that the Merlin report came back and the life that was lived before for this old one ten was not really very exciting. It spent all of it's forces days with the RAF at Waddington presumably by the number of seats fitted just ferrying folk around the base. Still it doesn't matter to me because this one will not be a historic restoration nope this one is mine and mine alone it's going to be my keeper so I will be modifying it to suit me for years to come that apparently will pass in a flash unless I am trying to remove a stubborn bolt that is.

So I am going to need some sheet metal lots of underseal and o rings for sorting out the injector pump. The tyres are shot so will need a set of those and the suspension is well past it's best so replacements will be sourced but the question there is "to lift or not to lift" while it is in pieces. There is a salisbury rear axle and more mud on the bottom of my driveway than there is in the back garden but I now know where I am heading with "Pukah" which is nice but the dark evenings are headed back our way with the clocks going back on hour tonight so I will have to try and slot in little bits of work on him whenever I can because this will be my first Winter project on the driveway and I am expecting progress to be a bit slower because of it.

Just as well I bought me a new insulated set of babygrows then eh ;)

Hey Sam just go to this website...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/

You will create an account then ask The ministry of defence under the freedom of information act for the details where your motor served but you must give them the vin number and the forces registration should be on the vin plate as well looks something like 44-BF-56.

They get back to you pretty quickly as well :)

Pumps and Parts.

The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, October 25, 2015 15:33:21

An extra hour in bed then as the clocks went back....made no difference to me really so I sat in the kitchen early this morning enjoying the peace and calm of a quiet morning whilst the rest of the house slept in.

As I sat there I figured out that this is going to be my third project in 18 months and if I am honest it will be my last big one. I am tired and the thought of doing another major overhaul is daunting but I am trying to take solace in the fact this will be my keeper so I sucked it up and after a quick trip to the car boot where I bought bugger all I set to having a look at the injector pump leaking like Niagra falls issue.

Looking at the injector pump and with no idea how it came apart apart from a quick internet search that pointed to the o ring being fubar in the throttle linkage I decided to start there taking it apart but a word of warning there are two springs behind it...

www?ShowFile&image=1445786035.jpg

A 10mm nut held the arm in place so first that came off showing me a bolt left behind...

www?ShowFile&image=1445786134.jpgI easily removed the plastic cap then I set to picking out the white plastic asher quickly followed by a rock hard o ring. I had one the same size in the shed so I popped it into place with the use of a couple of electrical screwdrivers then I popped on the arm minus the springs fired up the old motor and hey presto no leaks!!!!!

Feeling smug with myself I set to putting the arm back on it and the springs back in place under the watchful eye of a new supervisor ho appears to have taken quite a liking to the 110...

www?ShowFile&image=1445786542.jpg

Once all the arm and springs were back in place I went to start it up again and bugger me it wouldn't. I looked around and realised it was below low on fuel so hopefully it's as a simple fix as popping some diesel in it but the battery has gone flat now and I had no diesel to hand so onto other things while the sun still shined.

Next in line was to see if I could take the half turn play out of the steering so I set to adjusting the steering box.

First of all I had to get the front wheels off of the ground with a couple of jacks then I set to undoing the securing nut on the steering box and adjusted the centre with a flat head screwdriver clockwise a half turn at a time seeing if it would take up the play at the steering wheel...

www?ShowFile&image=1445786890.jpg

It did indeed do it to some extent but at full turn there is still about a quarter turn on the steering wheel so I suppose that a replacement box is needed but hey ho it is a project after all.

With all of that done and dinner calling me inside I decided to call it a day. I need some fuel putting in the 110 before I can check to see what's wrong on that side of things and quite frankly I had had enough for one day. Yes the thought a third project on the bounce is daunting and at times I wonder why I do it to myself instead of just saving up and buying a nice motor that will tow our wobble box where ever we want it to without the need for constant maintenance but hell I suppose there would be no fun in that at all.

Congratulations on sorting the o-ring :) You may have to bleed the system now though if its run that low on fuel.

I cheated a bit on mine and jump started to the golf and had my dad keep it cranking while i cracked the injector unions until diesel came through. The starter gets quite hot though so you have to give it a break occasionally. The 2.5 seems to take forever to bleed through for some reason

[h=2]Bigger than I thought...[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Mon, October 26, 2015 18:35:21

I am feeling a bit despondent a little sorry for myself and I shouldn't do because I am a lucky fella with a great Wife great kids and in all fairness I have more than I need in material possessions not that I am rich but the bike is pretty new for me and we have had Wifey's car from brand new so all in all nothing to complain about.

But the 110 is becoming more and more of a project each time I look at it or explore something new it throws up more problems to be dealt with.

We are moving next year so there is a bit of a deadline there because I would like it to be road legal by then but I have to admit I am sitting here wondering whether I have another project in me or not. I am feeling tired after fighting that nasty bug that was doing the rounds last week that knocked me off of my feet literally! I cannot remember the last time I could not get out of bed due to illness so again just there just proves how lucky I am but I cannot help feeling a bit fed up with it all.

Thing is I want a Defender and I have one sat there ready to be built to my spec but it will be a mountain to climb so where do I start with it? How far do I go with it? Do I go for a full strip down and rebuild or a patch up and play? At the moment I just feel like selling it I wont do that I know that deep inside unless I literally run out of money bit a quick fix it is not going to be!

I will stop moaning now and sorry for down beat feel of this post but sometimes it makes me feel better to put things into written words and don't tell me you Landy lovers out there haven't at some point thought about throwing the towel in at times...

[h=2]Making Plans...[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sat, October 31, 2015 12:19:32

Right then after the sun had risen and some time had past after me getting out of my pit just before 5am not being able to sleep and after watching my neighbour the night shift cab driver come home I set to seeing if I could get the 110 to start again. I walked up to the local petrol station seeing as I had time to kill enjoying the early morning stillness that is rarely found in a big city.

Diesel in and a fresh battery fitted I set to removing the throttle arm and linkage from the injector pump to see if that made any difference. The keys in the ignition I turned them clockwise not expecting a great deal to happen other that the noise of the starter turning relentlessly over so imagine my surprise when the engine fired immediately into life!

Now this pleases me a great deal because it is one less problem to deal with but there is still the issue of refitting the throttle arm and springs correctly because how ever long I look at it and what ever way I turn things over I cannot see for the life of me what I have done wrong there to make the engine not start! So if anyone would like a cup of tea and some cake that can fix it feel free to pop around ;)

Satisfied that at least it runs once again I decide it was time to get to grips with all of the problems this 110 has and make a plan of action an order in which to do things just one step at a time so the whole project doesn't seem so damned overwhelming. First out was the middle front seat because that really wont be staying and will be replaced with a cubby box...

www?ShowFile&image=1446293113.jpg

Then the hammer and screwdriver came out bashing all of the rusty spots I could see because it's not worth pretending that a bit is ok if it is not. I started in the floor pans...

www?ShowFile&image=1446293203.jpgwww?ShowFile&image=1446293245.jpgDidn't take long to make some good sized holes! Then I checked the chassis and quite frankly the rear cross member is now a mess it's shot along with the back part of the chassis on the drivers side. A new extra extended piece will be needed so I best get saving for that! I already know the steering wants looking at a full service will be needed the rear axle is rusted to hell and I expect the brake system will need an overhall. The bulkhead is ok-ish but both of the front door pillars want replacing.

It will require repainting then a new set of wheels and tyres fitting.

Hell folks I have bought me another full on rebuild project here!

So the plan is quite simple from here on in....sell it.

Nah only joking I will start from the front and work my way back through doing the bodywork initially then when that is all good I will paint it then move onto the mechanical side of things. I did get to have a play with my new welder today as well on an old piece of metal I had kicking around and what a difference that bit of kit will make! No more pigeon **** welding for me dear reader oh no its nice and smooth all the way from now on! My old welder must have been in an awful state for longer than I realised because using this one is like colouring in pictures with crayons.

One more project it is then I have to admit feeling better now that I know what I am up against. Costing wise I reckon I can get it sorted on this side of another £1000 if I box clever and buy wisely but we shall see how well I do on that at the end of it all because I will keep a full account of what's being spent as we go along. I am sure there will be some more laughter and tears over the upcoming months but I aim to keep the hospital visits to a minimum this time! See you on the other side...

nickysmith.me

[h=2]Front End Fun.[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 01, 2015 19:24:00

Been a busy day really today because it was a bit shorter for me than usual. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to see the start of daylight creeping through the side of the curtains it left me a tad confused because it is normally pitch black when my body tells me it's done with sleeping so I turned to look at the little digital clock on my left that informed me it was 3 minutes past seven in the morning...that meant I had slept for about nine hours straight last night something that I have not done for years and I felt surprisingly refreshed instead of that beaten up slept too much groggy feeling you normally get from too much sleep.

I lay there relaxed and at peace with myself and the morning lay ahead of me I realised I had no desperate need to do much of anything at all. The day lay ahead and we had made no plans so I decided to be really naughty after my lie in and drag that relaxed feeling out by getting up ignoring my clothes throwing on my dressing gown which got a knowing look off of the dog who was waiting for me to take her out that that was not going to happen and then headed downstairs to stick the kettle on and not do much of bugger all. What a way to start the day nice and relaxed not rushing off anywhere after a great nights sleep I could get used to that!

So after a brisk walk in the woods with Wifey I decided to at least have a bit of a go at the 110 starting with getting the front end of it off of the ground to make working on it a bit easier...

www?ShowFile&image=1446404757.jpgThe offside wing needs to come off so I can start repairs on the bulkhead there on the door pillar then onto the foot well but before any of that can happen the wing needs to go so first things first the wheel came off which showed me yet more rust in places I had not noticed on the witches hat/suspension turret which is scrap as is the shock absorber...

www?ShowFile&image=1446405073.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1446405391.jpg

Surprisingly enough the spring looks ok but seeing as I have to strip the rest off I will refit it all with a 2" lift all round not because I will be off roading it a great deal but just in case I do!

With that decided I set to removing the rubber arch enough to be able to get to the blots holding the wing on...

www?ShowFile&image=1446405353.jpgI managed to get all of those rusty buggers out eventually and it is now all set bar a couple of screws to come off and away showing me the full extent of what lies ahead but why leave it there I hear you ask? Well the beef roast was coming on and the light was fading fast so I decided to end the day the way I had started it...relaxing.

nickysmith.me

[h=2]Front End Fun.[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 01, 2015 19:24:00

Been a busy day really today because it was a bit shorter for me than usual. Imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to see the start of daylight creeping through the side of the curtains it left me a tad confused because it is normally pitch black when my body tells me it's done with sleeping so I turned to look at the little digital clock on my left that informed me it was 3 minutes past seven in the morning...that meant I had slept for about nine hours straight last night something that I have not done for years and I felt surprisingly refreshed instead of that beaten up slept too much groggy feeling you normally get from too much sleep.

I lay there relaxed and at peace with myself and the morning lay ahead of me I realised I had no desperate need to do much of anything at all. The day lay ahead and we had made no plans so I decided to be really naughty after my lie in and drag that relaxed feeling out by getting up ignoring my clothes throwing on my dressing gown which got a knowing look off of the dog who was waiting for me to take her out that that was not going to happen and then headed downstairs to stick the kettle on and not do much of bugger all. What a way to start the day nice and relaxed not rushing off anywhere after a great nights sleep I could get used to that!

So after a brisk walk in the woods with Wifey I decided to at least have a bit of a go at the 110 starting with getting the front end of it off of the ground to make working on it a bit easier...

www?ShowFile&image=1446404757.jpgThe offside wing needs to come off so I can start repairs on the bulkhead there on the door pillar then onto the foot well but before any of that can happen the wing needs to go so first things first the wheel came off which showed me yet more rust in places I had not noticed on the witches hat/suspension turret which is scrap as is the shock absorber...

www?ShowFile&image=1446405073.jpg

www?ShowFile&image=1446405391.jpg

Surprisingly enough the spring looks ok but seeing as I have to strip the rest off I will refit it all with a 2" lift all round not because I will be off roading it a great deal but just in case I do!

With that decided I set to removing the rubber arch enough to be able to get to the blots holding the wing on...

www?ShowFile&image=1446405353.jpgI managed to get all of those rusty buggers out eventually and it is now all set bar a couple of screws to come off and away showing me the full extent of what lies ahead but why leave it there I hear you ask? Well the beef roast was coming on and the light was fading fast so I decided to end the day the way I had started it...relaxing.

nickysmith.me

Only just came back to this and read that you sold the series 3.

I hope you don't think that 110 be any more refined than the s3 cos military 110 and 90 s are just as bare bones and raw😊

Ive been in your position before and the only way to get the vehicle you want is to perservering with one and build it up.

I would bin that na and put a tdi in its not a complicated job and will make it infinitely more use able.

The na will be slower than the s3 belive it or not☺

[h=2]Rain & Frustration[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Fri, November 06, 2015 15:17:48

My family is spread far and wide across this big boulder we all live upon and to say we are an interesting mix of folk would be an understatement. Do you know that TV program called "Modern Family" that is supposed to be an exaggeration of what a family can consist of mix folk wise today well that has nothing upon my lot in fact they probably wouldn't have made us into a TV programme because no one would have believed it! Thinking about it that could be a good series of short stories there I may well pen into that at some point...

Anyway Wifey and I set off to see one of my many siblings who lives in Dublin also meeting his new girlfriend in the process. This was going to be my third trip to Dublin city but it was the first time I would actually see any of it because this brother is a musician and we usually just ended up in a bar getting drunk over a couple of days but not this time folks I am older and wiser then throw into the mix that I cannot tolerate any sort of hangover any more (the last one lasted three days) I determined we were going to see this fair city this time and what a city it is! We had a great time exploring the place on a budget even taking in a guided tour which was fantastic and walking for miles and miles and miles to boot! You must do the Guinness Storehouse visit if you are over there that was fun and you got a pint at the end of it...which was nice.

www?ShowFile&image=1446822541.jpg

Well the weather was fantastic after a foggy start first thing on the Monday morning so I was hoping that it would be nice for the week when we got home because we both had it booked off of work so a trip to Derbyshire was also planned to climb Jacobs Ladder along with some much needed time on Pukkah the 110.

Nature on the other hand seems to have other ideas on our plans because from what seemed like after the minute we landed back on home turf the heavens opened and have not stopped since. No worries I thought it wont last that long I will just have a lazy day then get around to doing a bit on Friday...it's still raining.

Now funds are a bit tight this month but I have gathered a few bits up for sale and got shot of them so I could then invest in a few bits for the 110 so with nothing more pressing to do I tooted off to Paddocks to buy a few bits with Wifey in tow who bought me a nice lunch out :)

Price update time then. There's a few bits piling up in the shed now and more on the way which I will add on once they arrive but once the weather breaks I am set and raring to get stuck in before the really cold weather kicks in.

Costings.

PILLAR REPAIR PANELS £70

FILTER KIT 2.5 NA £12

FRONT SHOCKS PAIR £27

SUSPENSION TURRETS PAIR £10

TURRET SECURING RINGS £7

RADIATOR MUFF

MILITARY ARIEL £5

TOTAL £1631

Ah yes the diesel will be better on fuel especially the tdi.

But the noise of a tdi in a un soundproofed 110 is amazing, if you thought the series 3 was noisy the diesel takes the cake your ear drums will ring.

In fact that's why the tithonus land rovers were fitted with the acoustic mating due to HandS rules over noise.

If I was you I would sound proof the bulkhead bonnet floors etc basically to the level of the civi boingys.

Unless you like the noise which some people atcually do.

It's looking good though.

I have to admit that soundproofing is high on my list of priorities! While the front end is off I will seal the whole bulkhead up then soundproof it all completely then it will be onto the roof and sides internally for a dose of the same.

This one is going to be my keeper so I will be getting it all bang on right for me! No sympathetic restoration this time it's mine and who wants a people carrier 110 restored anyway??

The weather has been against me all bloomin week but hey ho can't change that I will just jump on it when I get the chance.

[h=2]Accelerators & Horns[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 08, 2015 16:07:28

The rain had stopped. I looked out of the bedroom window and was astounded that there was nothing falling from the sky so first things first I had to take the motorbike out for a short run to warm the engine through because it had been sat on the driveway for the last week. That done I decided that some time on the 110 was just the ticket so I set to sorting a few tools out in the shed but when I turned around to walk out to the driveway the heavens had opened once again so what else could I do at this point but go and make a sausage cob.

Cob and tea done the rain had eased off once again so I ran outside and ended up looking at the 110 wondering what to do today with it but I soon settled upon what seems to be my nemesis on it at the moment...the injection pump.

This bloody thing has been a pain in the backside since I replaced the leaking O ring it has simply refused to run once the throttle arm is replaced but this time I had a trick up my sleeve I had borrowed another pump off of a friend to compare what I was doing and there was one spring I had been putting on wrong so I set to rectifying this mistake.

Stripped down again then put back i the correct order I was sure it would just fire up first turn of the key but as it turned out I was wrong. It just turned over and over not firing so I sat on the wing looking in wondering what to do now?

Everything looked like it was in the right place but something was obviously amiss but what that was just eluded me. At this point my youngest daughter called me around back for some advice on stripping down her scooter panels so I had ten minutes away from my problematic pump.

When I returned I had decided to strip it all down once more then fire up the engine which was not a problem with the arm off so I started it up then being mindful of the spinning radiator fan and fan belt putting one bit on after another then the springs came into play finally tightening down the nut on top of the throttle arm.

That was when the engine cut out.

Hmm interesting. The nut is a locking one so I wound it back half a turn and then twisted the ignition key again to hear the engine spring into life! I checked that the accelerator worked, which it did a treat, then that there were no leaks at all coming form the injection pump, which there were not much to my surprise, and I let the engine warm through properly which it has not done in some time...

www?ShowFile&image=1446998837.jpg

What next then? Well I set to running through all of the electrics again making sure of what exactly worked and what didn't. Indicators...checked out ok along with all of the other lights even the wipers and washers worked but my luck ran out on the horn making any noise at all. Oh well couldn't moan about that so I decided to check through to the horn to see what the issue could be. I removed the grill and the problem was soon obvious because you see there was not a horn there at all so no wonder I couldn't get any sound...

nickysmith.me

• 2 weeks later...

[h=2]Rainy Days & Diarys[/h]The 110Posted by Nicky Smith Sun, November 15, 2015 18:02:39

It's only November but my diary is booked every weekend from now until Christmas fitting family and folk in across the board to say hello to making the effort to actually meet up because as I get older life does seem to get in the way of such things. So yesterday we had our great friends up for a day out at Chatsworth House which is all decked out Christmassy like along with a rather large Christmas Fair/Market thing which was nice until the heavens opened heavily and didn't stop from that point on for the rest of the day.

That just about sums up how the weather has been since I bought the 110 whenever I have had a chance to work on him so when this morning it was raining again I set to buying some more essential parts off of my list for him online so I can get the front end rebuilt which has wiped me out financially but those bits along with what is hopefully being delivered from a friend as well this week sets me up to sort the whole front end up to the rear bulkhead sorted. I will add the costs up as we go this week and as parts are delivered so it stays true but I finally feel like I am getting to the point here I can actually get stuck in from next weekend now without fear of everything grinding to a halt because I have forgotten to buy a nut and bolt!

Costings.

PILLAR REPAIR PANELS £70

FILTER KIT 2.5 NA £12

FRONT SHOCKS PAIR £27

SUSPENSION TURRETS PAIR £10

TURRET SECURING RINGS £7

RADIATOR MUFF

MILITARY ARIEL £5

FRONT SPRINGS

FAN BELT

CAMBELT KIT