WW2 Humber Box Heavy Utility 4X4

Ian L

Just dugout my winter project, bought it almost a year ago & put it into storage but now its time to get her back on the road.

I am led to believe its the 3rd from last 'Box' to ever be made & never registered or been on the show circuit before ?

Pretty well original & untouched but did have a spruce up 20 odd years ago & put back into storage but still a bit to do before she's ready for the road.

DSC02665.JPG

DSC02666.JPG

DSC02667.JPG

DSC02669.JPG

• Like 1

1st job the brakes, both front wheel cylinders were very seized & needed the pistons to be pressed out. brake linings are good so just honed the cylinders out & fitted new seals.

Master cylinder was leaking but just required a repair kit.

One rear cylinder was leaking so fitted a new seal repair kit & but the other was seized & if you have ever worked on this type of wheel cylinder where the parking brake road goes through the centre you will know what a pig of a job it is to remove the 'C' clip, unscrew the 1st piston from the brake rod in situe & then unseize the hydraulic piston :mad:

DSC03558.JPG

DSC03559.JPG

DSC03560.JPG

DSC03561.JPG

DSC03563.JPG

DSC03564.JPG

The leather seat bases were disintegrating so they have gone off for re-trimming along with 2 of the rear arm rests but the seat backs & middle arm rest were almost as good as new so they stay as I want to keep as much as I can original.

DSC03578.JPG

DSC03579.JPG

Last job today was starting to make a tow bar to pull my 10cwt GS trailer, I removed the 2 lashing eyes from inside the rear chassis & plan to put some heavy duty box section down the inside of the chassis legs.

I have used a towbar from a Mitsubishi L200 as the round section looks quite like the towbar on the Bedford MW.

These will be tacked in situe & then removed to Tigweld & paint, should look ok with a small riser plate & Jeep size hitch.

DSC03580.JPG

DSC03586.JPG

DSC03585.JPG

DSC03582.JPG

DSC03583.JPG

Just dugout my winter project, bought it almost a year ago & put it into storage but now its time to get her back on the road.

I am led to believe its the 3rd from last 'Box' to ever be made & never registered or been on the show circuit before ?

Pretty well original & untouched but did have a spruce up 20 odd years ago & put back into storage but still a bit to do before she's ready for the road.

Now thats a lovely bit of kit, these are very high on my wish list!

That is really nice. You should restore it as a Brixmis vehicle

http://military-missions.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52:brixmis-vehicles&catid=34:brixmis&Itemid=58

BRIXMIS VEHICLES

The first touring vehicles used by BRIXMIS when the Mission was set up in 1946 were Humber “Box” staff cars which were painted dark red overall with the Union Jack painted on the roof, sides and rear. They bore numbers allocated from the Soviet vehicle registration numbering system. The numbers were all in the same series which was part of the block allocated to HQ GSFG. The vehicles themselves were slow and uncomfortable and had a poor cross-country performance. One or two were soon replaced by Jeeps and the remainder by Humber Super Snipe staff cars.

But I suspect that wont appeal to many. Would raise a few eyebrows though.

Just had my Morris commercial water pump rebuild by EP service.

Good luck with the project , will have a drive in the back seat if reddy! :cheesy:

Guy

Hi Guy, Jeremy has also mentioned them.

P.S. did you get my email reference the 20cwt spares ? as I can find the add.

Thanks Ian