Ferret brake pedal return spring

njjeeper

Here's a couple showing the return spring setup:

DSC02333.jpg

DSC02334.jpg

You can see on the second photo that there is only a puny 1/16" split pin stopping the clevis pin from pulling out. I have had a scare on two Ferrets where the bushings in the clevis were worn because of the strong spring force and the pin was slightly cocked. So now the spring force on the pin is trying to pull it out of the clevis. In both cases, the split pin was just about worn through. Next step is the clevis pin pulls out and then the pedal falls to the floor.

I drilled the clevis pin hole for a heavier split pin and added a tight-fitting washer (which there probably was originally) between the split pin and the clevis.

This photo shows the adjustable brake pedal stop bolted to the front of the bevel box. (Excuse the mess, this Ferret needs the master cylinder reconditioned.)

DSC02363.jpg

Malcolm

Robin, I am on another forum which has a "like" and a "thanks" button on each post. Why doesn't this forum? I have often wanted to express my appreciation of posts on here, but been a bit reluctant to create a new post.

Malcolm

Robin, I am on another forum which has a "like" and a "thanks" button on each post. Why doesn't this forum? I have often wanted to express my appreciation of posts on here, but been a bit reluctant to create a new post.

Malcolm

I'm not sure of the full feature list, but this site is running vBulletin 4.2.2, while the current stable release is 5.1.9. I'm guessing that there is a lot of new functionality in the later version.

Cheers,

Terry

Here's a couple showing the return spring setup:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108725[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108726[/ATTACH]

You can see on the second photo that there is only a puny 1/16" split pin stopping the clevis pin from pulling out. I have had a scare on two Ferrets where the bushings in the clevis were worn because of the strong spring force and the pin was slightly cocked. So now the spring force on the pin is trying to pull it out of the clevis. In both cases, the split pin was just about worn through. Next step is the clevis pin pulls out and then the pedal falls to the floor.

I drilled the clevis pin hole for a heavier split pin and added a tight-fitting washer (which there probably was originally) between the split pin and the clevis.

This photo shows the adjustable brake pedal stop bolted to the front of the bevel box. (Excuse the mess, this Ferret needs the master cylinder reconditioned.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108727[/ATTACH]

Malcolm

Great pictures, Think I will check on my spring attachment just to make sure all is 'A OK'.