Morris Traveller - SEME, REME

En-jay

Hello there,

Returning to the forum after a break - having now recently acquired an ex-British army Morris Minor Traveller which has had extensive restoration undertaken by previous owner and now just requires the final 20% of finishing to it's original military guise.

I have obtained the vehicle's history record via the RLC archive and it's date into service was January 1970, it was then stored at Ashchurch CVD until March 1971 and subsequently then went to SEME REME at Bordon until March 1975, then shows as being at Tech Stores SEME until June 1977 whereupon it was then sent to Ruddington presumably for storage/disposal.

Our aim is to restore and display the vehicle relating to it's service during the period it operated at Bordon, I will at some later point contact the recently relocated REME museum archive to enquire as to whether they may have any material/information relating to the vehicle but also wondered if anyone on this forum may have any general or specific recollections/knowledge of what functions it would've served within it's role at SEME REME?

The vehicle will also eventually wear it's original unit insignia on individual front plates and rear doors - I understand that this would probably have been the blue/yellow/red with REME crest (?) on one side but I am unsure if there was sub-unit marking relating to the SEME itself...(?)...if anyone could advise on the correct unit identity markings I would be much obliged.

Many thanks,

Neil W.

Having been stationed at S.E.M.E myself on various occasions. & knowing the school & surrounding areas well.

I would say it was simply a 'Run About' vehicle. Better used at this location, than say. A Land Rover, as nearly all of it's life would have been driven/ parked on Tarmac roads. :angel:

There was to my knowledge, no specific Tac Sign for S.E.M.E.

But it would have had the Corps colours of blue, yellow & red in a square shape as you have described.

But it would ALSO have a 1" high WHITE 'Bar' above & directly sitting on TOP of the BLUE 'Bar' section of those colours.

& in Black STENCILED Letters in that white bar would be: S.E.M.E.

That then Ties the vehicle down to EXACTLY where it was on Charge when at S.E.M.E, Bordon, Hants.

Edited by ferretfixer