Auster AOP 9 Restoration progress

AOP9JON

Thank you for the positive comments guys, I will try and keep the post running although progress wont be too rapid. I have managed to test fit the engine mounts and cowls ( bit of visual progress :-D ). The rear floor has gone in and the instrument panel found and placed. The project is 95% complete and many many parts are new old stock which always makes for an easier rebuild. 10645253_10207327327730479_3806689058868626348_n.jpg

I saw a lovley pencil drawn picture of an Auster AOP, it was an illustration of a book written by a WW2 Auster pilot. He was recalling a situation in France where he'd come unexpectdley on a German coloum wwith a lot of mobile Flax, the picture showed the Auster flying below tree level down a road with shells passing overhead. His other remark was the into a headwind he'd be overtaken by the pigieons.

The Auster will be restored to fly, and should take around 3 years ( based on previous efforts ). I shall steam ahead with the airframe and use the spare time ex engine so it can be displayed at a few local shows/war weekends while a zero hour motor is being sourced/built.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking good! Will be watching your progress with interest. Soft spot for the Auster, had my first ever flight in one out of Bristol (Lulsgate) A/P back in 1960('twas G-AHSO, see it's not airworthy now.) Must try and catch up with it one day.

You seem to have plenty of parts available but I have a few 'NOS' parts if you're looking for anything specific? Do you fly anything at the moment?