Hawker UK6TNMF Batteries

Morning all

I have 4 of these batteries on my Shielder. The primary 2 were fine when I got it, fine the next weekend. Didn't get used for about a fortnight and were flat. Can start off the secondary set fine, but at no point, no matter how long it is run for do the primary set seem to have any charge in them.

Anyone give me any guidance on this? Are they cream crackered or can I salvage them some how?

Thanks

Antony

If you put a pulse charger or deep cycle charger on them, it is amazing what they can come back to. Something like a ring charger is about £50 so well worth getting as new Hawkers are over £100 each. If they are draining there may be a current leak when vehicle not in use.

Deffo worth a try with the pulse charger - i have had 10 year old hawkers come back fine after a few days on charge, and still hold it provided they get a top up now and again - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. As for new Hawkers for £100, if you can get them for that I'll have ten and I'm not kidding! For that price you'll probably get chinese lead acid copies which rarely seem to last more than 2 or 3 years, but they do serve a purpose I guess. The nearest civvy equivalent ive found is the odyssey pc2250 agm, which retail at £4-500 each! Ive known a couple of people who just use good chunky car batteries though which seem to do the job fine....

Whatever you do do not put Hawker batteries on a big old fashioned charger and try to pump lots of charge into them. You will fry them. It is one of the few ways to kill them. As advised above, get a pulse charger and leave them to cycle for several days each, they may well come back to life. There are several threads about this in this section.

I don't know about Shielders but all the FV430 family have the firewire fire detection system live all the time - not fed through the master switch. It will empty a pair of good batteries in about ten days unless you pull the circuit breakers or physicly disconnect the batteries.

David

Whatever you do do not put Hawker batteries on a big old fashioned charger and try to pump lots of charge into them. You will fry them. It is one of the few ways to kill them. As advised above, get a pulse charger and leave them to cycle for several days each, they may well come back to life. There are several threads about this in this section.

I don't know about Shielders but all the FV430 family have the firewire fire detection system live all the time - not fed through the master switch. It will empty a pair of good batteries in about ten days unless you pull the circuit breakers or physicly disconnect the batteries.

David

Most of the fire wire systems are made by Graviner, if you find the control box there is 1 screw connector which suppliers the 24v feed, unscrew this connector.

With regards to charging the Hawkers I have a twin output Extreme pulse charger it brings them up really well and you can do them both at the same time.

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, £100+vat gets you the lead acid version. I have found somewhere that do new Hawker, £280+vat each. 6-8 week delivery - so guess they are coming from the states.

Think I will invest in a charger. I see Withams have some batteries in their auction at the moment but obviously don't know the condition.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, £100+vat gets you the lead acid version. I have found somewhere that do new Hawker, £280+vat each. 6-8 week delivery - so guess they are coming from the states.

Think I will invest in a charger. I see Withams have some batteries in their auction at the moment but obviously don't know the condition.

Cheers

Just beware there are a lot of knackered ones around that people have fried with ancient chargers. Don't buy a used Hawker unless you can put it on a battery tester first.

Andy

My experience of reviving Hawkers is that if they come out of a vehicle, a good pulse charger will often bring them back, say two out of three times. A couple of years ago I bought six from withams and only managed to recover one! So personally I wouldnt touch em with a bargepole!

Fourfox told me that if you overcharge the hawkers it creates cavities in the gel and hence knackers them, seems perfectly plausible...

• 1 year later...