My latest project

Ron

Hi again Kostas. Jan is on the case regarding the oil tank and will have a go at making one after I've confirmed the size of the available space to fit it in. First got to tidy up and re-spray the frame. Ron

Still the frame was not quite right, so some more cutting and welding has been done. The front frame has now been stretch up by the required 1 1/2". The tank tube has been lengthened by 1 1/4" and the rear frame has been suitably altered to fit, and all re-painted.

I've started the build up again but I know I'll be held up to some degree by the refurbishment of the Miller magneto and dynamo.(I'm still waiting for the dynamo to arrive). I'm really chuffed to have found these items but the old guy I'm dealing with is a bit eccentric to say the least.

Jan is doing a marvellous job of making the unique oil tank come air filter. Hopefully he'll post some pictures of his workmanship.

Ron

EXP DC 371.jpg

Jan is doing a marvellous job of making the unique oil tank come air filter. Hopefully he'll post some pictures of his workmanship.

Ron

OK, not finished yet, but getting there! :)

Original oil tank cum air filter:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.03.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.12.png

Rear shell:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.27.12.png

Front shell:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.54.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.26.02.png

Air box:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.26.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.34.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-21%20om%2017.25.44.png

Jan

One hour after I had posted the airbox and oil tank shells pictures I came to the conclusion that the airbox had been made too wide... It could never fit... :(

After a restless night I decided to make another airbox, see pictures below:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-27%20om%2006.59.48.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-27%20om%2006.59.56.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-27%20om%2007.00.04.png

And then it was only a matter of putting everything together, weld the oil tank seams and braze the seams between oil tank and airbox:

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-27%20om%2006.54.03.png

Schermafbeelding%202016-04-27%20om%2006.51.18.png

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the oil tank cum air filter that Jan made after I've painted it and added the correct transfer. Also the other side with the original tool box.

Again there will have to follow an interlude whilst I claim the rest of the Miller dynomag parts from the eccentric guy who has them and also wait for them to be refurbed. Ron

EXP DC 411.jpg

EXP DC 412.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's been well over a month since my last post, but things are still progressing 'SLOWLY'. The Miller Magneto has been rewound and rebuilt. I've also rebuilt the dynamo and modified it from a 3 brush to 2 brush system, so that I can wire it through a modern electronic regulator. Mainly because the original integral cut out unit is knackered. However the guy who supplied me with the mag has a better dynamo body with NOS armature for me, so will re do it when it eventually arrives.

I've also managed to borrow best part of a complete set of original cables from an early WDC which will be easier to copy rather than guess all the lengths.

Also, Jan refused to allow me to use the silencer that Armours made and has made me one with the double barrelled baffles and oval shape as per an original. Jan also made the dynamo clamp assembly, which again he scaled up from the pictures we have.

Ron

EXP DC 452.jpg

EXP DC 453.jpg

EXP DC 455.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've pretty well got the cables sorted now which has finally enabled me to fit the Miller dynomag. (I shall avoid this piece of equipment for any future projects!!).... I think I'm now clear to carry on with the build now. Ron

EXP DC 468.jpg

EXP DC 472.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally received the last of the cables after waiting weeks then sending some back for alterations and corrections. I've also just collected the Model C front sprocket from my engineer, which had to have the internal taper re-ground and some machined off the back to set the sprocket 5/16" further inboard. The clutch has been re-corked and the primary side is all working and both chains adjusted. Ron

EXP DC 493.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally this project is completed. I've yet to add petrol and oil and it resides in my museum for the foreseeable future. A fascinating if somewhat arduous experience. But a challenge I've thoroughly enjoyed, that could not possibly have happened without the help and parts made by my friend and RE expert Jan Vandevelde. Ron

EXP DC 497.jpg

EXP DC 509.jpg

EXP DC 511.jpg

EXP DC 497.jpg

EXP DC 509.jpg

EXP DC 511.jpg

• 1 month later...
make a fortune and retire young
I wish Ron, but I think a project such as yours would of been a big hit, small snippets will get lost on a forum but would be well documented in a book with plenty of pictures too. Its not just the restoration and build side, Probably a few chapters just explaining the Model itself, why, were, when etc....The build side, the data base of where or how you sourced the parts, folk who can do and make parts etc, all good info. Maybe something to think about next time......