My latest project

Ron

Ron,

I've sent you an email with a link to a good condition magneto chain cover if you still need one.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Have replied to your email.

Cheers Ron

• 1 year later...

I know it's been well over a year since my last post on this thread, but in that time, a few issues have been dealt with.

Firstly, it was pointed out by Lex, that the rebuilt D shaped speedo that I bought off Malcolm Leach was in fact, "post war" but he kindly donated a war-time shell into which I've transferred the innards and glass from the other one.

Also I got a horrible feeling about not being able to remember the seal for the big end oil feed, so the timing cover had to come off. It turned out that a brass insert had been fitted (modification??) So I removed it and fitted an original type cork seal. Again donated by Carl from Guernsey as he'd had some made for his Model D. Carl also donated a decent timing chain cover to replace my painted cover.

Another thing that I didn't like was that I couldn't kick the engine through compression without my newly corked clutch slipping. On inspection of the factory strip down photo, you can clearly see that they used a 350 clutch and not the 250 clutch that I'd used.......So a 350 (model C) clutch has been acquired and fitted.  Ron

EXP DC 523.jpg

EXP DC 527.jpg

EXP DC 529.jpg

TCM_SUP_46 (2).jpg

EXP DC 493.jpg

EXP DC 536.jpg

Edited by Ron

It's all back together Chris with no signs of touching anywhere, and it kicks through compression without slipping now. The factory pictures seem to show that they used the standard 250 chaincase.

The outer case is the one that  Alan Swainson made for me, copied from yours, and since old Alan has passed away now, I won't be replacing it, even if an original turned up. Ron

DSCF0948.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2015 at 5:15 PM, Ron said:

My forks are back from the engineer and have been extended by 1" and I'm in the process of re-painting them.

The petrol tank that I'm using is from a pre war hand change model D, and although it is the same shape and size, there are some differences to attend to.

The rear mounting is different and there is only one petrol tap with balance pipe. I have made suitable brackets. Two petrol tap adaptors will have to be welded in, in the correct location. I will simply plug the obsolete tap and balance tube holes. Ron

EXP DC 261.jpg

EXP DC 263.jpg

EXP DC 264.jpg

I don't suppose your donor tank had the hand change bracket? Ours is missing from a Model A but they look to be the same but we cant find one i the flesh to  copy

• 2 years later...
According to Jan “Rijkskeur” is the Dutch equivalent of British Standard.  The Rijkskeur organisation had to check if the safety equipment of a bike / motorcycle / car was OK. The badge means that this Miller headlight was approved “OK”…

Edited by Snakepit
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2016 at 6:14 PM, rewdco said:

You could be right Chris! I've just discovered that the lightweight headlamp is in fact the same (Miller) headlamp as used on the pre war model RE (or model RB, for Royal Baby, as sold in Holland):

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/rewdco/aa/aaa/image001.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/rewdco/aa/aaa/Schermafbeelding%202016-01-08%20om%2018.23.33.png

And then I found this 1939 or early 1940 advertisement, for the Royal Baby:

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/rewdco/aa/aaa/image003.jpg

The text that goes with the headlamp says

Koplamp

Rijkskeur met rijkskeur gloeilamp en ingebouwde droge batterij.

In Shakespeare’s language:

Headlamp

Approved (headlamp) with approved bulb and built in dry battery.

And this comes from the post war workshop manual:

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww140/rewdco/aa/aaa/Schermafbeelding%202016-01-08%20om%2018.23.55.png

So the LW may also have had a (small) battery in the headlamp shell! So maybe no alternator but a dynamo after all!

Jan

See also this post…

Jan

• 11 months later...

Hello Ron,

I'm just looking for an Miller (rare)rearlight which you or somebody else made photos off some time ago.(maybe it was you who made those  pfotos. It was purchased on Ebayfor 181 English Pounds.

It was a small cylinder tube with a red diamont cut glass in it, and a bayonet clossing in which you could put a lamp in. It was in a lot off Englisch pre War bikes, but I can't find them anywhere on Ebay or Oldtimer Markets in Holland.

I need this lamp for my Velocette 1937 KTS 350 . My Velocette Mac 350 from 1939 has the same realight on it. This was my Fathers first Bike in 1952,which I found back after 50-years in Bourchelles (France) in 2021. My Father  to sell the Bike in 1972 (with pain in his hart) when we moved to this shed in wich were living still today. (the Barn from this house  was to small for Motorcycles and bicycles then when we were younger kids)

So iff you see/find such a Miller rearlicht????... maybe you can send me an email? (h.vos3@kpnplanet.nl)

thanks so far, Henri Vos.(Holland)