bren gun carrier

fritz84c

it has a Canadian steering box so built in Canada but I can't tellif it's a mk1 or 2 but I would guess at a mk1*.

as to value I would have thought £4000 was fair, I say that as the armour is easy to accurately reproduce and the drive train (hardest bit) looks very complete.

hope this helps you buy and restore it.

rick

the mk1* has a brass plate on the right hand front fender and the mk2 has a plate on the bulkhead behind the driver both of which you don't have, however the hull number might be on the top angle iron on the commander's side it will read something like CB 874 (my number) :) this will give you an idea of the contract number and whether it is a mk1 or 2

Looks like it's modified to work in amongst the trees; is it olive groves. Agricultural purposes anyway; I have an older generation farming friend who says that after war crawler tractors were very difficult to get hold of but these carriers were pretty freely available at surplus auctions. His, presumably father purchased a couple and experimented by attaching grousers to the tracks to make a ploughing crawler but the tracks wore and fell to bits within hours under pressure from draught work and were never a success for this purpose. I expect this was not the only shortcoming as I have never heard of anybody making heavier duty track chains which surely would have happened if they had shown some promise as ploughing tractors.