Rough or

pogo001

Hi.

Following on from a post about colour of paint, I thought it would be interesting to have peoples opinions on what condition of a jeep or other military vehicles they prefer.

I prefer the rough used look. Doesnt suit a ferrari, but for a 'working' vehicle, I dont think you can beat it.

So do you guys prefer tidy/ restored, or rough and ready look?

Here is my Hotchkiss, although I have taken off the bull bar. Definately rough and ready

Paul

Jeep 063.jpg

As an ex squaddie I believe a vehicle should look "right" in other words used, over the years MV's are starting to look like classic car shows everything bulled up and like new. To anyone who has been there this is the opposite of reality, all the vehicles I ever saw looked older than their years and were patched together with anything to keep them serviceable and not VOR. When I see Jeep owners obsessing over "is my Ford ALL F marks" I think wake up, during combat do you really think they worried over the morality of fitting Willys stuff to a Ford ? If a part fitted they fitted it. No one jumped out during a battle and started polishing wheel nuts. Battle scarred does it for me and is how it would have been, look at contemporary photo's from WW2 how many straight Jeeps do you see ?

As an ex squaddie I believe a vehicle should look "right" in other words used, over the years MV's are starting to look like classic car shows everything bulled up and like new. To anyone who has been there this is the opposite of reality, all the vehicles I ever saw looked older than their years and were patched together with anything to keep them serviceable and not VOR. When I see Jeep owners obsessing over "is my Ford ALL F marks" I think wake up, during combat do you really think they worried over the morality of fitting Willys stuff to a Ford ? If a part fitted they fitted it. No one jumped out during a battle and started polishing wheel nuts. Battle scarred does it for me and is how it would have been, look at contemporary photo's from WW2 how many straight Jeeps do you see ?

God know how many rivet counters I've had come up to me and say my bolts, rivets etc etc ain't from the same period as the vehicle. Winds me up rotten, I just laugh. And those are the ones who go and spend a fortune on some new old stock door handles and push the prices up when it used to be an affordable vehicle. Now it ain't, cheers and thanks from the rest of us.

I prefer to use my vehicles for their intended purpose if it breaks i just get to fix it again. Not dust collectors! Would love to see how a jeep flys of a hill but no one has the guts to do it. Get it up a hill, mud on the tyres, pilled high with gear and people. Like in all the pictures!

I have always thought a military vehicle looks better hand painted (slapped on with a big brush over the dirt) and having a used battered look . As said before I hate the rivet counters I have had my fair share of them over the years saying that's wrong this is wrong. I see some vehicles trailered to events pushed off the trailer and polished what is the point? Military vehicles are not like veteran classic or vintage cars with lots of chrome and brass etc so why try and make them that way! The standard of restoration has gone up over the years but on some vehicles it has gone to far really.

Seems to be popular to keep it rough and ready! That suits me fine ha ha.

The previous owner, a 78 year old french man from the Auvergne region, used to use the vehicle every year for going into the woods, cutting his years supple of logs, and trailering them home, hence the roll cage, tow bar , bullbar and winch. He has spotlights back and front for working in the dark too. So although not under fire, it has been 'used'.

Agree with everyone above. It's was a piece of kit that was made to serve a purpose, getting someone from A to B not turning up on the field of conflict and thinking 'god look at the state of that vehicle, don't they ever think cleaning it. How embarrassing'. As said, so long as the vehicle is not left to rust away, the scruffier the better.

One of the best Dodges I've seen looked like it had driven through a hedge, the driver was scruffy, kit torn and worn. Looked just like they'd both come out of a Normandy feild. The mechanics on her though were perfect.

I'm not against "worn,in service,patina" just as long its not a cover up for "lazy,can't be bothered"........

A few years back went to a show as part of the Medway Military Vehicle group, a Prestige Car Show, no less! We set up in a lovley place down the bottom of the feild, under the trees and chilled out . Just up from us were a dedicated make of car group (I'll spare thier blushes) who all spent the next two days polishing everything bar the grass underneath, lovingly wrapping each vehicle for the night. Come the judging, we were judged best display and won, much to the mirth of everyone there, A Dozen boxes of Auto Glym polish (Still got my share somehwere) The looks on the faces of the other group, priceless!