Clark Ranger Forklift

Dose anybody have any information on the Clark Ranger forklift trucks used in the mid 1960's, I can't find much on the net. I've found a couple of pictures of them in the background of pictures on the Air Dispatch Association, (well worth a look)one attached of a ranger forklift in use in the Radfan Mountains in 1964 posted by Norm Ellis, a mention in a RAOC forum saying that the Eager Beaver replaced them, and a Hansard minutes of a discussion with a Mr Profumo (that name rings a bell) haha about buying 67 of them back in 1963. I've just bought this poor old thing to go with my collection of plant, should make a useful tool as well. any information would be good, it would be nice to find some color pictures so i can paint it up correctly to match the one in service in the picture. I've emailed Clark, the air dispatch association and the RAOC forum but not had anything back so far. in service ranger picture.jpg

IMG00053-20150822-0939.jpg

IMG00054-20150822-0939.jpg

IMG00056-20150822-0940.jpg

IMG00058-20150822-0947.jpg

I have a dealer friend who has used one for years, I have done a few repairs to it in the past. Recollect it has a Continental side valve engine, centre steer. That one is also ex- British Army.

That sounds like the next size up, but its really hard to find any information, I've found a 1962 clark catalog, and the one that looks like it is a CR60 6000lb lift with a taller mast, this one is rated at 3200lb, special build to be air portable? the only evidence I've seen is of these in use in the far and middle east, maybe the 67 bought in 1963 mostly never came back? someone has trawled old Ruddington catalogs and only found the 6000lb rated trucks. The chap i bought it from said he bought it in the early 1980's and there where 6 or 7 of them in immaculate condition. I shall keep digging.

That sounds like the next size up, but its really hard to find any information, I've found a 1962 clark catalog, and the one that looks like it is a CR60 6000lb lift with a taller mast, this one is rated at 3200lb, special build to be air portable? the only evidence I've seen is of these in use in the far and middle east, maybe the 67 bought in 1963 mostly never came back? someone has trawled old Ruddington catalogs and only found the 6000lb rated trucks. The chap i bought it from said he bought it in the early 1980's and there where 6 or 7 of them in immaculate condition. I shall keep digging.

The working one that I know of has, I am sure, the short mast, so would be air portable. Next time I am there, I will check the data plate details. Could well be one of the 6 or 7 you talk of as they have been using it for many years.

This link to Hansard will be of interest, as questions were asked in Parliament regarding the purchase ...

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1963/may/22/fork-lift-trucks

Edited by Richard Farrant
added link

The working one that I know of has, I am sure, the short mast, so would be air portable. Next time I am there, I will check the data plate details. Could well be one of the 6 or 7 you talk of as they have been using it for many years.

This link to Hansard will be of interest, as questions were asked in Parliament regarding the purchase ...

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/written_answers/1963/may/22/fork-lift-trucks

Yes cheers, found that link, the following ones are to a copy of the Clark catalog (page 7 ,top right) and the Air dispatch association, other than that, that's all I've found.

http://service.clarkmhc.com/Spec_Sheets/Feature_Brochures/Clark%20Full%20Line%20Brochure%201962.pdf

http://www.air-despatch.co.uk/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Your photo's remind me very much of another Clark forklift I used to see frequently , it was parked up in a yard next to where my girlfriend of the time kept her horses - could never track down the owner to enquire then one day it disappeared . I was later told that it had been scrapped - that one , I think , was a Clark Little Giant but the layout was very similar to yours . Think I have a pic of it somewhere but not sure if I can find it now .

• 1 year later...
Just found some notes of when I once did some work on my friend's Clark Ranger, it is a 40 model, built or supplied in 1963 and as yours, has a capacity of 3700 lbs.

Richard,

If your Clark Ranger is a 40b then there is a test report available in the National Archive, held at Kew. I can't make the URL work, but if you google - Tests on the Clark Ranger 40B fork lift tractor - you should come to report 17/1393. This was released under the "30 year rule" whereby classified MOD documents are released to the public. Unfortunately the archive isn't digitised, so you would have to order a hard copy of the report - which is at a cost!

Looking at the plate on the machine, it looks as though the equipment was supplied by STACATRUC at Thatcham - they are/were the Clark distributor in UK - http://www.clarkstacatruc.com

Their website says " we, to this day still receive parts enquiries for machines built in the 1940's."

Regards - David

Not a Clark Ranger, but the specification looks remarkably similar - rough terrain air portable (I assume) fork lift tractor. I have never seen one of these and I don't recognise the type, but the picture was taken from a 1970 document - the Eager Beaver may well have replaced this type of fork lift too.

Regards - David

1970s forklift copy.jpg

1970sforklift2 copy.jpg

Not a Clark Ranger, but the specification looks remarkably similar - rough terrain air portable (I assume) fork lift tractor. I have never seen one of these and I don't recognise the type, but the picture was taken from a 1970 document - the Eager Beaver may well have replaced this type of fork lift too.

Regards - David

I've never seen one of those either. very interesting.