Nazi gold train found in Poland?

well looking at this from a practical point of view, and Eastern Europeans are nothing if not pragmatic.

1) if there IS a train down there, then it's not going anywhere, so what's the rush?

2) if there isn't , then why rush and kill off the hype/tourism prematurely?

in other words, no rush.

I do hope I don't have to wait till summer of 2016 to see them pull out that Brumbar :sweat:

any day now, with the trees removed should see some better GPR images

The works were originally planned for Monday but rain meant the tests had to be postponed until Tuesday.

"We already know, namely, that under the earth there is a train. We need three days of good weather to carry them out," Koper told a press conference Monday.

The pair will use a metal detector, ground-penetrating radar, and a magnetometer, which is used to detect whether objects have magnetic fields.

"Now that the area is cleared of scrub these studies will be much more accurate," Koper added.

Local officials have suggested that because of the annual winter snowfall in Poland digging may not start until the spring.

Arkadiusz Grudzień, a spokesman for the local magistrate in Walbrzych, said "at the moment, we are focusing only on noninvasive testing stage." It was "too early to talk about extracting anything," he added.

• 1 month later...

Nazi gold train rumours to be determined true or not in ‘matter of days’

http://www.mining.com/nazi-gold-train-rumours-to-be-determined-true-or-not-in-matter-of-days/

====

If only that statement is the truth , by academic opinion that I suppose could at a later date be overturned by a few shovels.

I did a few days ago read about how the Germans (or supposed slave labour in the main) built huge HUGE underground reinforced armanent / aircraft factories. They heaped up gravel in the shape of a blister hangar as shuttering plug , then piled reinforced concrete on top (the example I read about did not obtain the designed maximum thickness , the roof has exposed steel for the next layer as seen in photographs) This I believe is the only remaining example as they were destroyed , IIRC by the Mercans. Then the roof was to be well covered with ballast / soil.

A underground railway was built under the hangar floor , chutes directed the gravel into railway trucks for re-use , this spoil was dug out with excavators - not slave labour. Well - that is the basic plot but I think WW2 was coming to an end.

Edited by ruxy
spelin

They have a tunnel it seems , the problem being it runs under operating railway lines - how convenient.

The university recent research must have obtained accurate delineation to be mulled over , it will serve the tourist industry well until excavated , Sky News did state this was the local governmental option still to be decided.

QUOTE. And that's up to the mayor of Walbrzych.

http://news.sky.com/story/1606363/officials-give-verdict-on-nazi-gold-train

The mayor may not be so popular if he did authorize excavation + finance.

Any WW2 tunnel must be worth investigating for historical worth alone (finace for project permitting) , however it seems just one of several known in the area and all still unexplored since WW2 - as sealed by Germans or allies . I suppose the first thing would be to resolve where standard gauge railways were during WW2 , probably not a easy task . In Russia the Germans built a ice bridge over a river and linked with temporary standard gauge rail lines (4'-8.1/2 - no , IIRC they were the wider Russian gauge because the project was also to grab the Russian rolling-stock, stocked in a safe place) rail lines - some laid on cordaroy roads inc. across top of the ice bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

they may not have found anything in Poland but Atlanta USA they did.

An amazing archaeological find in Atlanta! They've uncovered the remains of a Civil War era steam locomotive in pristine condition on the grounds of the Atlanta Cyclorama.......

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 12.53.15 PM.jpg

Or maybe not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_(locomotive)

Western & Atlantic Railroad #49 "Texas" is a 4-4-0 "American" type steam locomotive built in 1856 for the Western & Atlantic Railroad by Danforth, Cooke & Co.. The Texas is widely known for being involved in theGreat Locomotive Chase during the American Civil War as the engine that successfully pursued the General locomotive after it was stolen by Union saboteurs in an attempt to ruin the Confederate rail system. The locomotive is currently preserved at the Atlanta Cyclorama building within Grant Park in Atlanta, Georgia, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It will be restored and relocated to the Atlanta History Center in 2016.

Nic

I know just a nice joke

Or maybe not?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_(locomotive)

Western & Atlantic Railroad #49 "Texas" is a 4-4-0 "American" type steam locomotive built in 1856 for the Western & Atlantic Railroad by Danforth, Cooke & Co.. The Texas is widely known for being involved in theGreat Locomotive Chase during the American Civil War as the engine that successfully pursued the General locomotive after it was stolen by Union saboteurs in an attempt to ruin the Confederate rail system. The locomotive is currently preserved at the Atlanta Cyclorama building within Grant Park in Atlanta, Georgia, and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It will be restored and relocated to the Atlanta History Center in 2016.

Nic

• 2 months later...

if it's gold bars your after your much better off swimming in a lake

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/teenager-gets-to-keep-20000-gold-bar-found-in-german-lake-2016-02-05

However the possibility of a military train carrying battle damaged tanks to rear area or even back to Germany, like was done many times to remedy a problem or improve a capability (Ferdinand to Elephant conversion) etc.

and that a train such as this was parked in a tunnel-siding , then overrun by soviet Troops who blew the tunnel shut .

Well, it doesn't seem all that unlikely to me, Stranger things have been found. I also wish they had called in some experts instead of professors and students from the University .

There might be a tunnel but there is definitely no train

They were there for what weeks?

and this is the most definitive statement hey could make LOL . Also, why haven't they released any images or data?

I hope we hear a little more after Spring thaw

• 4 weeks later...