any idea what "circled" wire colour description sin wiring diagramms would mean?

Anybody on here knows why the U and Y for example are circled in the below wiring diagramm?

(BGS Landrover, based on Rover 8 FFR, so 24 Volts....)

22831969hm.jpg

complete diagram:

22835491ff.jpg

22835494rb.jpg

The BGS Landrover is technically based on a FFR Rover from 1965 (Rover 8)

This is the Rover 8 FFR diagram - you can see where the above one originates from :D

22840590tn.jpg

22840591ch.jpg

So, any ideas, why the wires in the BGS diagram are cicrled and you can not fnd a single circled one in the

Rover 8 diagram?

thanks and regards

TrueS2

It's not the normal way of showing shielded cable, and the upper right cable has a ring at one end and not at the other so not consistent with a colouring choice or ring colour (unless that's a mistake).

My guess would be sheathing, such as heat shrink rubber around the connector where shown. That would obscure the colour.

Hi all,

many thanks for giving ideas and hints! Much appreciated.

We are nearing in the possibility of sheathing. I have found some german wiring diagramms with military use and there the circles indeed mean sheathing (not screening).

It also makes sense, as the headlamp wires are located behind/above the plate rectifier which can get hot, so some sort of heat protection would make sense.

Same goes for the wires to the amp-meters - those are connected through the bulkhead and woul dbenefit from some sort of chafing protection for thick(ish) wires.

the headlamps would have been standard Lucas jobbies in military rims, so pretty much as every other Mil Landrover of that time. No local Bosch headlamps etc. Just standard british 7 inch.

The only german stuff in that electric playgame would have been the blue rotating light being a Hella unit and the two tone horns being from Bosch. The relevant switches and relais are also all from Bosch.

The spare parts book for these special vehicles even give details what has been installed in solihull and what has been fitted by the "customer" later on over here in Germany. (thats only wheel chocks and some small stuff)

The BGS (federal border patrol) vehicle has been pretty much complete once it left the Solihull factory.

Thanks for all your valuable ideas and comments,

best regards

TrueS2

Good work Clive, I had to look it up as had not heard of Unipren but it appears to be an older type of aircraft cable with a glass fibre sheath. http://www.intercables.co.uk/highperformance/Unipren/index.php

It's used a lot in post war AFVs (like the Centurion). I wonder if this indicates a modification after the cable standard had changed.

Found in Land Rover précis notes by SEME

App0391_zpsgv8zujjw.jpg

Clive! Top man! thats great! Many thanks for finding this!

Another mystery solved.

Is there any chance to see what "pécis" notes by SEME are?

I just would love to know where this comes from.

many great thanks indeed!

best regards

TrueS2

Boris SEME is/was the School of Electrical & Mechanical Engineering at Bordon in Hampshire. Over the years they produced a super series of summaries of lecture notes for students that cut through the detail of the technical descriptions of equipment in EMERs. They presented brief but factual descriptions in an easy to follow & easy to remember format.

This particular one covers certain aspects of electrical items in Land Rovers, Series 3, Defender & TUL/TUM (HS). Curiously that particular chart I posted appears on a TUL/TUM (HS) page although in my vehicle I have seen no Unipren wires nor does the circled U appear in any circuit diagrams for them.

My Humber 1 Ton is exclusively wired with yellow Unipren.

They are not available for public sale & just turn up from time to time at shows mixed in with other surplus manuals. Generally there isn't much in them that couldn't be found elsewhere. The summary format or précis is convenient for grasping essential facts though.

Hi there,

it is not only SEME explaining the encircled U, Land Rover decyphers it here and there, too. F.e. Diagramme AMR 82 (Elecrical Equipment) which is to be found in RTC 9094, Workshop Manual Land Rover 88 4x2 (yes, the 4x2) reads it also in plain words. And I heard the 12V millitary IIA handbooks read it likewise.

Bildschirmfoto-2015-08-28-um-11.22.18.jpg