Here we have two publications, the one on the right superseding the one on the left.

Everything in the later one is word for word what is in the earlier one. But it is only 29 pages whereas the earlier one has 32 pages.

The mystery object is the content or theme of the 3 pages that have now been dropped.

Spanking rules.jpg

That's a good guess from Wally, but if it isn't that, it has to be related to army customs regarding the the former empire...

Not directly Empire related Gordon, but none the less a reflection of changing times.

Blank pages headed "NOTES", because later manuals were not intended to be written in.

Chris.

Good line of thought Chris & you are clearly wary of lateral thought catches such as blank pages.

I always chuckle when I read "This page has been deliberately left blank" something of a paradox :D

But these two and a half pages have content that was no longer considered appropriate to Army life in 1964.

l am thinking of changes in that time scale is it to do with changes to the death penalty

Another good idea Wally but these are customs rather than legal matters.

"This pamphlet is intended to give an Officer Cadet about to be commissioned an idea of some of the things to look out for on joining his regiment or corps."

Another good idea Wally but these are customs rather than legal matters.

"This pamphlet is intended to give an Officer Cadet about to be commissioned an idea of some of the things to look out for on joining his regiment or corps."

At least part of it will be the sending of visiting cards to the other officers of his mess.

When did they abolish the rum ration? (Or was that just the RN?)

Chris.

I suppose it is to show that you are a thoroughly good fellow and as a new boy engratiate yourself with your superiors who will recognise you as someone polite and subservient who will fit into the established rituals and structure of hierarchy within the regiment.

I suppose it is to show that you are a thoroughly good fellow and as a new boy engratiate yourself with your superiors who will recognise you as someone polite and subservient who will fit into the established rituals and structure of hierarchy within the regiment.

I quite agree Clive, it is a pity that these norms are not now part of the modern world.