Covered Storage Required in Bristol/South Glos Area.

Hi. Having got my Albion BY5 moved to my home in South Glos and now getting a very warm welcome from some of my small minded neighbours, I have a funny feeling that it's going to be moved on again and look out for a visit from the council to comfirm this. The lorry is tucked in at the bottom of my parking space/garden and being covered over with a green sheet to match my hedge and is not in any ones way.

It always pay to keep in with your neighbours I feel that they don't have the right to tell you what you can or cannot do with your own land, but I told one gentleman that perhaps the 6th June 1944 should of been cancelled due to the lack of interest ?

So what I'm asking does any one in the Bristol/South Glos area know where I can take the lorry to - would like it under cover if poss. This would save the neighbours chasing me off the estate with flaming torchs and pitch forks !.

Another idea just to put in the pot, would there be enough interest from other owners who might have the same problem in the Bristol/South Glos area, would like to form a Co-Operative to rent a build and use it for storage and workshop. I have been kicked around figures and depending on the size of building, would need a starting fiqure of 10 owners but more would get a bigger building.

If there is interest then a meeting to be set up to arrange a code of conduct, officals, bank account and other items.

Any interested please let me know.

Paul Burns.

I applaud you for the patience you are obviously demonstrating with them ....like yourself, it completely beats me how some folk think they can determine/ dictate what you can or can't do with your home .... I would understand if you started up a scrapyard or abattoir on the patio but......... :) ...

seriously though.......I did live in a house once on an estate that the deeds forbid anyone parking a caravan on their front gardens and ..get this .....also forbid a rotary clothes line being in the front garden too ....... but if there are no such restrictions on your deeds or in any bylaws relating to your plot ?....I'd be telling them where to get off :)

Good idea though on a shared workshop . I'd think quite a few would be interested in such a scheme , best of luck with it all ...Jim Clark on here may be able to point you in the right direction on such a building in that area ? :)

Hi.

Thanks for your message - I have the same problem as to cannot have a caravan or a rotory washing line on my land as I have checked my deeds. As I kindly pointed out that Albion Motor Company during the war years did not make the BY5 Folding Boat Equipment as a caravan and this was a historic lorry in need of restoration and would be on my property until it was up and running. I have kept the noise levels down - grinding - hammering - as the neighbours are just waiting to start again.

As for the idea of a organized work shop and storage just a thought that perhaps a group of like minded enthusiast set up and run a building just for the military world and not face hassle. There are huge opportunities as a group to try and get sponsorship from tool companies, get a new parts replacement system set up, plus other ideas. But it would have to be run on a safe system of control and not a 'free for all' and each owner pay their share of the rent on a D D to the Co Operative and have elected officals to run the day to day issues that might arise.

But this for me is an idea that I have had the same situation in the steam locomotive pres world and has worked .

Myself and some friends have vehicles stored in the Gloucestershire area, ranging from near Bristol up to Stonehouse near Stroud. Although sadly no more space at any of the locations for additional vehicles. But we would be interested in options for a group rental of a workshop/barn/building. One of our current storage locations is only going to be in place for another year.

Cheers

Ed

Hi Ed.

The whole set up depends on how many owners are interested in joining together to form the Co-Op and what size building to aim for to get every one in with their various vehicles. Also to try and get an area that suits every body for travelling to work on their vehicles. And to try and find a building that will not upset any neighbourhood with any noise that will be made as per any workshop and easy access for moving vehicles in and out.

With a Co-Op it is run by every one and not one person giving orders - it is a equal share and to have regular meetings to iron out any problems that might arise within the group. There are bills to be paid I.E elecricity, water, heating(if available)

and any council tax and we have to build these costs into the rents or wait until the first set of bills come in to see what the costs are and take it from there.

One person cannot run this on their own, there has to be support from other owners to help run this type of organization as I have found out to my cost with loco pres - I was a Chairman/Project Eng on a project to build a £4 million new steam loco and ended up doing 90% of the work and for my troubles ended up having a heart double by-pass and valve replacement.

As you are still okay for a year how about meeting up and introducing each other and if all okay put forward ideas and start to look for a area and building as a group.

Cheers.

Paul Burns.

Hi.

At the moment just to see if there is enough interest to go forward with the idea. There is still a lot of working out to be done, checking to see if there can be an application for Charity Status as a 'Non For Profit' group and get reduced rates as a Charity.

Some thing else has turned up and is in the process of being checked out.

Cheers

Paul Burns.